Cruise Critic Community
Mrs Miggins

Saga transfers to and from Dover

17 hours ago, cinnamon said:

Incidental question. 

Whilst we know that basic gratuities are included in our cruise fare, are we expected to tip the taxi/transfer driver?  When using a taxi for a £25 of £50 airport run we tip but Dover is a lot further. 

Hi Cinnamon, we are having a hard time remembering but think we tipped a small amount, probably £5, certainly not the amount one would tip had the journey been arranged independently.

Just a ‘thank you’ really.

Have a great time, the weather for Bergen looks promising according to the BBC 🙂

Looking forward to your blog, I followed your Azamara one.

18 hours ago, Glenndale said:

My S-I-L who is 4 hours away from Dover assuming normal traffic and 5 hours away given heavy traffic has a 1pm pick up time. Around 220 miles away.

This seems incredibly late to me. This is not allowing for a 'comfort stop'.

Any example of pick up times and travel times with examples from folks on here please?

We were collected at 13:45. We had a two hour journey to Dover and the ship sailed at 18:00.

1 hour ago, Glenndale said:

Hi Cinnamon, we are having a hard time remembering but think we tipped a small amount, probably £5, certainly not the amount one would tip had the journey been arranged independently.

Just a ‘thank you’ really.

Have a great time, the weather for Bergen looks promising according to the BBC 🙂

Looking forward to your blog, I followed your Azamara one.

Thank you, good to know.

I’ll start the blog later today, with the usual background stuff. As Saga is a relatively ‘new’ thread on Cruise Critic I don’t think anyone has done one before but they are fairly common on the mainstream lines.  

Edited by cinnamon

I’d suggest your S-I-L holds fire on worrying until the letter arrives - our letter with the actual timing arrived and we’re being collected at 15.05. MySaga is now showing 15.05 instead of 13.00 and there’s now a note saying that any timing is provisional until the final documents are sent. 

She rang them today and they have told her it was a mistake and her pick up time is now 9:45.

As you say that can change between now and final documents but at least she is not in panic mode any longer 👍