Looking for feedback on Panama Canal on the Caribbean Princess

wildcats40

We are planning a cruise on the Caribbean Princess that goes through the new locks of the Panama Canal.  Hoping to hear from others who have taken this trip.  We've heard some ships open the bow so passengers can get the best view of the passage.  Does the Caribbean Princess?  

Thanks for any information. 

Elaine

Princess ships do not have an open bow area that you are imagining.  they have something better - a wrap around promenade deck.  It goes along the sides and around the stern on deck 7, and almost all the way forward you go up the stairs to deck 8 to go around the bow.  Best of all, it is covered.  

enhance

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, wildcats40 said:

We are planning a cruise on the Caribbean Princess that goes through the new locks of the Panama Canal.  Hoping to hear from others who have taken this trip.  We've heard some ships open the bow so passengers can get the best view of the passage.  Does the Caribbean Princess?  

Thanks for any information. 

Elaine

As posted in post no. 2. Other viewing areas  are on the upper decks as well as the Horizon Terrace aft. There are plenty of good views. The ship will not be a tight fit in the locks. There is space all around. Tugboats are used to keep the ship centered. We took this trip in 2018.

Look back to the photo in post #2, I'll add that there is a forward open observation deck on top of the bridge.  This is usually closed off when at sea (though on calm wind days I've seen it open).  My guess is it is likely to be open for the actual transit through the canal.  If so, it's a great 180* forward vantage point.

Beyond this, as has already been written, the Grand ships have many great viewing locations including a full promenade on decks 7/8.  Lots of folks will be out watching, but with a bit of perseverance you'll easily find a space that suits you.

The Caribbean has the following open decks.

Deck 7:  wrap around Promenade Deck

Deck 7:  Aft wrap around Promenade Deck is open

Deck 8 forward:  This is a continuation of the wrap around deck.  You have to go up one flight of stairs to get to the "bow" of the ship (not really all the way forward)

Lido Deck aft:  Horizon Court, Cafe Caribe, Outrigger Bar, and some very small inlets to sit...but you need to get there early...

All decks above Lido midship, aft....

and I'm not sure if the forward observation deck above bridge is open.

Lots of places to observe the Panama Canal.  If you are entering from North to South, be up early...early....early.  South to North:   Bridge of America is spectacular.

Now, the downside.  I much prefer the Coral doing a full transit.  That is so much more exciting than the Caribbean doing a partial/full transit.  The Historic Locks are a marvel.