Getting to the beach in Salalah

Shelledpea

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of getting to the beach from the Cruise terminal in Salalah.  We are wondering if anyone has contacted the Hilton Hotel there and arranged a day pass themselves or whether we would need to book through the cruise company?  Also I've heard the it is quite a distance from the port to the town and that taxi prices have to be negotiated before hand ~ is this correct?

Many thanks in advance 

Shelley

10 hours ago, Shelledpea said:

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of getting to the beach from the Cruise terminal in Salalah.  We are wondering if anyone has contacted the Hilton Hotel there and arranged a day pass themselves or whether we would need to book through the cruise company?  Also I've heard the it is quite a distance from the port to the town and that taxi prices have to be negotiated before hand ~ is this correct?

Many thanks in advance 

Shelley

I was in salalah in March on Pullmantur ,I did contact the Hilton direct and had a nice response from management...they did quote a day price.the reply arrived to late for us and we negotiated with a local taxi driver at the port for the six of us for city tour.

Had a interesting tour of the town,I’ll  see if I find Hilton quote for you.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sAJRyFqkrYiu8BnB6

Roopesh.Thunoli@hilton.com

Edited by aussie cruzer
Typo

2 hours ago, Shelledpea said:

Many thanks, 

I'll email Roopesh and see if they will allow us in that day. Thank you so much for true quick response 

The taxi guy we went with had entry rights to port,there were very few taxis in sight,might be worth asking Hilton or emailing driver,ive enclosed his business card .

There is alot of contruction going on at the port,seemed to be a large pipeline being installed. 

For the record we payed around $35 p/p for six of us for city tour of 3 hours in his station wagon.

Driver was the only taxi I saw inside port gate.

SLL Hilton is (by Salalah standards) an OK hotel. It is about 15 years past it's use-by date, but the owners see no point in doing any improvement work, as they have a continuous flow of guests.

Restaurant looks fancy, but is very basic

3-star quality at best.

Stick with simple grilled stuff.

The pictures of the pools look lovely, but are a bit drab in reality.

The beach is reasonably clean, but there can be very dangerous surf conditions and rips. Be extremely careful.

Be prepared for lots of noisy kids! 

The port is a long way from town,I didn’t see any hop on buses.if there was a hop on bus,there is nothing to see on way into town. Beside desert & housing developments.

Some ports need pre booking,either thru ship or private.this one of them.