Can you bring a bottle of wine off the carnival cruise into Grand Cayman?

Lesliekelle13

Going on a cruise on Carnival Vista in January 2020. Stopping at Grand Cayman and taking public transit to public beach at 7 mile beach. Am I able to take a bottle of wine that I brought with me on board ( each person allowed 1 bottle) off the ship to consume on the beach?

They don't check your bags leaving for port, but if they see it, they may not allow it.  Not sure what the laws in GC are, regarding bringing alcohol ashore OR drinking on the beach.  You do know they SELL wine in GC?  Might just be easier to buy it there.

• Like 1

Wrong as usual CB. The ship doesnt care what you take off the ship, providing it is legal, in that country, to import it. It is legal to import certain amounts of alcohol into GC- one bottle of wine falls within the limits.

It is also legal to drink alcohol on the public beaches, provided you stay in the public areas, dont stray into private ones (hotels, restaurants, condos) and don't take any open containers of alcohol in a vehicle or away from the permitted areas.

My only concern is having a glass container of any kind on a beach, and the risk of breakage and subsequent injury.

cb at sea:

Thanks for the reply! Great to know about bag checking! I do know they sell alcohol there, but I have also read it is expensive though, and I have already spent quite a bit of money on the cruise, so I am just looking at options on how to keep the excursions a little cheaper is all.

Mom says:

That's actually great to know.Yeah I do share your concern on the glass.We came up with the idea of perhaps getting larger sized non-see-through insulated water bottles, putting ice and wine in them on the ship(pink rose) , and just bringing them off the ship to the beach, along with some extra regular plastic water bottles we are buying from carnival to keep hydrated too. Otherwise the other option is using the cheers pack we bought for the trip(half the reason I am trying cut corners elsewhere, we wanted to try it out this time for a 7 day cruise) and  could get Rum/vodka/tequila and pair it with pineapple juice and take it down to our cabin and do the same.....then they can't smell the alcohol with that drink really.Pineapple overpowers those kinds of clear alcohol's smell pretty well.

Thoughts?

Edited by Lesliekelle13

On 8/3/2019 at 4:01 PM, Lesliekelle13 said:

Also, the insulated water bottles the wine would be in would be non-see-through.

I don't drink much wine.  Do you think the wine is more expensive at GC than on the ship? If it's cheaper at GC, leave your wine on the ship.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't see a reason why you wouldn't be allowed to take it off the ship. The problem will be if there are authorities checking your purse when you leave the ship and get into port.

Other than that you can take it out and consume on the beach.

• Thanks 1

If you were able to smuggle that bottle of wine onboard (at embarkation) then taking it ashore might be a good deal.  But if you are thinking in terms of buying a bottle of wine on the ship, then you would likely be paying a lot more for your wine then it would cost to simply buy some wine in town.  And the selection of wine in GC is a lot better then what you will find on the ship.   As to taking a bottle ashore, nobody will care.

Hank

• Thanks 1