Debit Card Charged Twice

21 hours ago, ryano said:

Ive had my debit card compromised twice. My bank gives me a "provisional credit" for ALL fraudulent charges and instant refunds on any NSF charges caused by such immediately upon receipt of my signed affidavit.   It all depends on your financial institution as to how long it takes to you get your money back

What about those who got the NSF and not money?

Do they pay their fees and possibly interest?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SRF said:

What about those who got the NSF and not money?

Do they pay their fees and possibly interest?

If you at at your credit line (which a lot of people are), credit card bill payments could be declined for the same reasons.

No one is saying there isn't consequences.

My bank did 2 million POS transactions without incident last month.  The amount of fraud represents .05% sales.  You are more likely to have a car accident than dealing with fraud on a debit card.

17 hours ago, steveru621 said:

My bank did 2 million POS transactions without incident last month.  The amount of fraud represents .05% sales.  You are more likely to have a car accident than dealing with fraud on a debit card.

That is still 1000 incidents per month, for one bank. 😄

12 minutes ago, SRF said:

Your bank only does $2 million per month?  Small bank.

Hi

Sorry to change the topic but your picture of your dog...

Is he/she an Akita?  That is a great picture of a beautiful dog.

I had an Akita, Kiki, who passed away a few years ago.  Below is a professional picture we had done when she was a puppy.  

I miss having a dog, especially my Kiki.

Noreen

154E79A9-30E6-43DB-B589-835C134BB052.jpeg

Hi

I am going to test using one credit card during online checkin so all the temporary holds show up there

Near the end of the trip I will go to Guest Services and ask them to switch the credit card

If it works the way I’m hoping...

All the holds hit the initial card 

The actual final charge hits the second card

I’ll come back with how the test worked after the trip

Noreen

I'm no expert in fraud/finance but I had my wallet stolen while I was at work earlier this year. I wasn't even aware until my Chase Visa called and texted asking if I approved the $700 charge at Target across the street. Within 30 seconds our account was deactivated and every recent charge/attempt was gone through line by line. My bank was not so great...sure enough the debit went right through with no problem and it took about 8 days to get my money back.

Also, Visa sent new cards overnight, I had to wait until I could sit down with a banker to get new debit cards. To add insult to injury, because our account was "closed" (as it should have been, they also got my check book that I NEVER carry on me except for that week lol) I couldn't even access my account to get cash out through a regular teller. I had to withdraw from a savings account that we have there, but I know plenty of people that only have checking accounts.

Moral of the story (for me, given my limited experience) I would MUCH rather have my credit cards compromised then my debit card. We are not wealthy people by any means, but thankfully were able to get by with out the funds that were missing. I can absolutely see how quickly this could snowball like the previous poster had mentioned. I don't love using CC's all the time because it's very easy to get caught up in it if you aren't diligent, but for me it's a much safer way to go-we charge almost everything and pay it off each month. After going through each charge lol

• Like 2

I had registered a cash account , and on final day i went to guest relations and paid my account and it showed the cash going off my prepaid card , that evening i spent about 50 dollars , surprising thing was overnight my card was charged those 50 dollars and again the amount i had already paid so double the amount was blocked of my card , i thought in a couple of days it would then be available but i think it took about 20 days , in my case was not an issue but other people could have difficulties i had other cards i could use.

On 8/8/2019 at 1:59 PM, steveru621 said:

If you at at your credit line (which a lot of people are), credit card bill payments could be declined for the same reasons.

No one is saying there isn't consequences.

On 8/9/2019 at 10:17 AM, steveru621 said:

.05% of $$$ sales, not transactions.

On 8/9/2019 at 3:39 PM, steveru621 said:

Over 2 million transactions, not sales.

You went back and forth in regards transaction and sales.  You also mentioned that fraud represents .05% of sales, but your bank had no incident in the last month.  How about over the last year.  All it takes is one massive data breach to affect many, many people.  Or even one card reader in a machine , that affects one person. It can ruin their entire month.

With the "chip" cards, things are safer, but unfortunately the US is still behind the European's in regards to authentication.

I am assuming you work for a bank and not a branch of a bank.  BTW 2 million in transactions in one month is small potatoes compared to a large national bank.

Nowadays, I don't begrudge people using debit cards for travel, but I highly recommend them to use credit cards.  It gives them an extra buffer, while they sort through fraudulent charges to the credit cards.  They can still pay their short term bills, utilities,etc  through their checking account. 

On 8/11/2019 at 8:39 PM, gatour said:

You went back and forth in regards transaction and sales.  You also mentioned that fraud represents .05% of sales, but your bank had no incident in the last month.  How about over the last year.  All it takes is one massive data breach to affect many, many people.  Or even one card reader in a machine , that affects one person. It can ruin their entire month.

With the "chip" cards, things are safer, but unfortunately the US is still behind the European's in regards to authentication.

I am assuming you work for a bank and not a branch of a bank.  BTW 2 million in transactions in one month is small potatoes compared to a large national bank.

Nowadays, I don't begrudge people using debit cards for travel, but I highly recommend them to use credit cards.  It gives them an extra buffer, while they sort through fraudulent charges to the credit cards.  They can still pay their short term bills, utilities,etc  through their checking account. 

We need to absolutely ban Debit cards.  If you can't get credit card, tough.

We just got off the adventure of the Seas yesterday! Paid our cash account in full on Friday with our visa debit. Today they charged me again on my via debit for everything I had already paid for on the ship. It was not a hold but a debit transaction from my acccount. I did a three way conference call with my bank and rccl., the girl at rccl argued with my bank when they said it was already deducted from my account  and it was not a hold. They said it will take up to 55 days to investigate before we have a chance of geting our money back. Canadian debit cards are differnt from American. It does not put a hold but rather takes it out immediately. the bank tod them the only way to fix it is to have rccl refund it. They refuse to do that. JUst a warning for other canadians!!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, julieschuler said:

We just got off the adventure of the Seas yesterday! Paid our cash account in full on Friday with our visa debit. Today they charged me again on my via debit for everything I had already paid for on the ship. It was not a hold but a debit transaction from my acccount. I did a three way conference call with my bank and rccl., the girl at rccl argued with my bank when they said it was already deducted from my account  and it was not a hold. They said it will take up to 55 days to investigate before we have a chance of geting our money back. Canadian debit cards are differnt from American. It does not put a hold but rather takes it out immediately. the bank tod them the only way to fix it is to have rccl refund it. They refuse to do that. JUst a warning for other canadians!!

Holds are treated as "debits". However, when they are released, they get credited back. Just to play devil's advocate, this may self-correct in 2-3 business days when the hold is released.

Is there a reason you use a debit card rather than a credit card?  If you don’t have a credit card, in Canada, can you purchase a prepaid VISA card?  If so, I suggest you use a prepaid VISA card when you cruise or stay at hotels.  This avoids having your checking account screwed up while the duplicate charges are being investigated.

I feel your frustration when these things happen.  Was the RCCL Rep a supervisor?  If not, I would call them again so as to get somebody different and ask for a supervisor, if you don’t get anywhere with the person.  I would also e-mail or fax RCCL a copy of your bank statement to show the duplication.

Hopefully this has already been resolved by now.

Good luck.

This is the problem with debit cards.  Money deducted immediately and the you have to correct an error. In the meantime you don't have access to your money.  If you dispute a credit charge no money has been taken from your account and officially you don't owe anything until the matter is resolved. 

• Like 1