transport to Galveston port

3yorkies

On 12/5/2019 at 12:35 PM, kokopelli-az said:

How far away from the entrance of the cruise ship terminal at the Port of Galveston do the Uber/Lyft drivers park or drop you off?    We have one person in a wheelchair and don't want to walk too far to actually get into the terminal.    This is on the Liberty of the Seas.

Its not far.  We had one in a wheel chair too, and I was pleasantly surprised!  Much closer than Miami.

And the Terminal is pretty wheel chair friendly too.

On 10/31/2019 at 5:54 PM, ryndam said:

Uber XL from IAH-Galveston is about $150+/-. The vehicle will accommodate up to 6 people + luggage.

We ordered an UBER XL for 6 from IAH.  Sat 6 people snuggly - and maybe 3 of our 6 suitcases only.

Cancel

We ordered another UBER XL for 6 from IAH - This one would transport 6 including the driver with NO LUGGAGE.

Either UBER needs to update their app to account for luggage, or the dumb butts responding to an Airport request need to assume that they MAY have up to 2 cases each.

Was NOT a pleasant experience.

7 hours ago, marci4tony said:

We had 6 ppl - 3 Sr Citizens - Arrived at IAH 6:30pm on a friday

Requested UBER XL for 6 - first one showed up that seated 6 and MAYBE 3 suitcases.  MAYBE...

Cancelled first one.

Requested 2nd UBER XL for 6 - showed up and MAYBE could seat 6 INCLUDING THE DRIVER.  No luggage.

What in the heck?!

Cancelled second one.

Finally conceded to splitting the group up into 2 UBER XL - plenty of room for 3 ppl and 3 suitcases.

$80+ bucks EACH UBER

1 hour + Friday.

Came back Saturday afternoon after the cruise - again requested (2) UBER XL and it was 80+ bucks EACH UBER

1 hour 45 minutes Saturday.

Galveston will not be on my target Home Port again.  What a hassle, and so much stress on the "older folk"

For what its worth, at least I got my sunrise photo in Galveston with the Ferris wheel 🙂

Probably best to book a shuttle service like Galveston Express that runs on a set schedule. Much less hassle and plenty of room for luggage. Everyone rides in the same vehicle.

13 hours ago, MoCowBell said:

Probably best to book a shuttle service like Galveston Express that runs on a set schedule. Much less hassle and plenty of room for luggage. Everyone rides in the same vehicle.

Expresses last run was 15 minutes prior to  our arrival

😞

1 hour ago, marci4tony said:

Expresses last run was 15 minutes prior to  our arrival

😞

Awe that sucks. Oftentimes if you call in and let someone know you have a large group they can add a shuttle for you, especially if you intend to book a round-trip.

• 2 weeks later...

We are considering booking the Liberty out of Galveston next November.  We have never cruised out of Galveston before and are hesitant strictly because of the stories I have read about difficulties getting to and from the port.  We would most likely fly in on SWA and therefore be coming into Hobby the day before the cruise.  DH drives for Lyft and Uber here in the Phoenix area, so we are not opposed to that option, however we also want to know we have a ride reserved and not worry about getting to the port or back to the airport on time!  We know on busy cruise days there may be a shortage of drivers.  Has anyone ever had that difficulty?

The other option seems to be the RCI transport from the airport the next day.  That would also be a new experience for us.  How is that reserved in advance?  I don't remember seeing transport options on the RCI website, although we have never needed it before, so I haven't looked.  

We would reserve a shuttle, but at this point there are just the two of us, so that looks like a very pricey option unless more join us! 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello all,

We are scheduled to leave on cruise out of Galveston on July 12th.  We are looking into flying into Hobby Airport on July 11th.  We are going to get a hotel close to the port.

Any Hotel suggestions (close to anything...restaurants, etc.).

We will need transportation from the airport to our hotel in Galveston and then transportation from the hotel to the port on the day of the cruise.  There will be 5 of us and prefer private shuttles.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance

3 hours ago, Nessa1dc said:

Hello all,

We are scheduled to leave on cruise out of Galveston on July 12th.  We are looking into flying into Hobby Airport on July 11th.  We are going to get a hotel close to the port.

Any Hotel suggestions (close to anything...restaurants, etc.).

We will need transportation from the airport to our hotel in Galveston and then transportation from the hotel to the port on the day of the cruise.  There will be 5 of us and prefer private shuttles.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance

Try this thread. Lots of good suggestions posted already.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2706859-hotels-near-galveston-cruise-ports/

• Like 1

As an "older" cruiser, who is traveling alone and not cell phone savvy, I'm looking for assistance with Round Trip transfers from HOU Hobby to the Port.  RCCL cannot accommodate me as my arrival time is after 11:00 am.  It's much easier for me to book online ahead of time with a reasonably priced company.  Thank You in advance for all of your assistance!

Thanks for intel.  Looking at the 14 day Panama Canal cruise late 2021.  Going solo normally don't consider ship transport, but might opt for it.  Still got aways before sailing but like another poster stated transportation is one of the factors I never opt to sail from this port

On 12/19/2019 at 1:55 PM, marci4tony said:

Requested UBER XL for 6 - first one showed up that seated 6 and MAYBE 3 suitcases.  MAYBE...

Cancelled first one.

Requested 2nd UBER XL for 6 - showed up and MAYBE could seat 6 INCLUDING THE DRIVER.  No luggage.

What in the heck?!

Cancelled second one.

Finally conceded to splitting the group up into 2 UBER XL - plenty of room for 3 ppl and 3 suitcases.

$80+ bucks EACH UBER

1 hour + Friday.

Came back Saturday afternoon after the cruise - again requested (2) UBER XL and it was 80+ bucks EACH UBER

Galveston will not be on my target Home Port again.  What a hassle, and so much stress on the "older folk"

For what its worth, at least I got my sunrise photo in Galveston with the Ferris wheel 🙂

$ 80 for Port to IAH for 3 folks and bags is not bad at all.
Next time consider Hobby Airport about a half hour away for Galveston . 

Edited by ssb

On 1/5/2020 at 10:00 AM, ssb said:

We flew Alaska Air - flew on "miles" - not an option.  

It was an experience - we learned a lot - Good and bad!

• 1 month later...
On 12/19/2019 at 1:55 PM, marci4tony said:

Cancelled first one.

What in the heck?!

Cancelled second one.

$80+ bucks EACH UBER

1 hour + Friday.

I am considering booking a cruise for 8 people out of Galveston.  Four kids, two young adults and two older adults.  Would we be best suited to do 2 uber XL's or would we have to go to 3?  Good gracious!  This would end up being quite a lot of money.  This may change the port of where we sail out of.  Any directive would be helpful.

On 1/5/2020 at 11:00 AM, ssb said:

I am completely knew to this, so please forgive me in advance.  So, is Hobby Airport closer to Galveston port of the city of Galveston proper?  

3 hours ago, Derbie said:

I am completely knew to this, so please forgive me in advance.  So, is Hobby Airport closer to Galveston port of the city of Galveston proper?  

Yes .
And a major Southwest Airlines airport 

Edited by ssb

5 hours ago, Derbie said:

Hobby is about 40 miles to Galveston. Bush Intercontinental is about 70 miles. Bush is a huge airport (5 terminals) whereas Hobby is one terminal, mostly Southwest Airlines.

7 hours ago, Derbie said:

I am considering booking a cruise for 8 people out of Galveston.  Four kids, two young adults and two older adults.  Would we be best suited to do 2 uber XL's or would we have to go to 3?  Good gracious!  This would end up being quite a lot of money.  This may change the port of where we sail out of.  Any directive would be helpful.

Plan on 2 XL - 

Depending on what time you get in there may be other transportation available. We got in at 6pm so we had extremely limited options.

I would fly in a day early - stay in Galveston.  Giados was reasonable, and right across from the Gulf.

• 1 month later...

There are many forms of transportation from the airports or hotels to the cruise terminals.  We have used many of them including the available buss transportation through the cruise lines.  The best transportation we can recommend is VIP Express, LLC.  This is the last review I left for them - I think it speaks for itself but please check all the other reviews you want, I think you will be impressed:  

"We have used VIP Express many times. The first time was very soon after the business started and the latest was two days ago (11/16/2019).
Emanuele and his staff have never been anything but outstanding. He is an AMAZING communicator. Prior to your pickup time, you will always know where he is and when he will arrive (which is "on time" or sooner). He is extremely personable and will do everything within his power to make your experience with VIP Express a pleasure. If you can find a company with cleaner vehicles, I would be surprised. Emanuele is just a "nice guy" who is unbelievably hard working, honest, and very, very good at what he does. Wouldn't consider using any other service in the Houston area! Thanks, "Manny", you always make our trips better, and we truly appreciate it. 🙂 Keith & Sharon"

Please consider using Emanuele for your transportation needs.  He is VERY good at what he does and his rates are great!  His contact number is (409) 888-0520 and their website is vipexpressllc.com .

I hope this is of some help to you. 

On 12/19/2019 at 9:25 PM, MoCowBell said:

I will stay away from Galveston express in the future.  The wife is a nurse practitioner so we just had to cancel our shuttle reservation yesterday for 10 people for our trip at the end of May.  One would think when cancelations are out of your control you would get a refund.  We ended up eating a 20% cancellation fee since we wouldn’t opt for future shuttle credit.  We have no idea if and when we would cruise out of Galveston again.  

• 4 months later...

Arrive a couple of days early before cruise . Galveston is an Island with 32 miles of beach and is a major tourist destination with much to do . Extend your vacation ! 

galveston.com

Edited by ssb

• 3 weeks later...
Man, it sounds like it is a pain in the ass to sail out of Galveston!!  Unless I find an amazing fanatic cruise out of there,  I’m crossing Galveston off my deport port list.  Thanks for all the info.

Don’t be so quick to judge this issue. Nearly every port city has it’s own set of plusses and minuses.

Pick the cruise destinations and cruise lines that fit your needs and desires first then start exploring your options.

If you want the classic definition of PITA try sailing out of NY/NJ if you are not from that area. LAX to Long Beach is not exactly a walk in the park either.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have not sailed from NY/NJ so I cannot comment on the "PITA rating" for those locations.  We have sailed on one or more occasions from Ft Lauderdale, Miami, NOLA, Galveston, and Long Beach.  The only real difference is the length of the ride from the airport to your hotel.  Depending on your choice of hotels, the ride to the terminal is minimal - except NOLA.  Our only experience there was not wonderful.  Stayed at the Embassy Suites and could see the terminal from our window.  Took about an hour to get to the terminal.  Have been out of Galveston over 15 times - most times getting there by air but have driven at least twice.  Never have had a bad experience.  The folks on Galveston and Houston are always inviting and we have always enjoyed ourselves.  There have been times we spent the evening before sailing in Houston rather than Galveston and that also worked very well.  The only negative we have ever identified about sailing from Galveston is the limited number of different itineraries.  To each his/her own, so to speak.  I can say, however, the worst cruise we have been on was wonderful.  🙂