A Wee Scottish Dilemma

phil-mcc

Absolutely yes!  One of the joys of cruising is meeting people from different cultures and seeing them in native dress.  I've worn kilts to events in the past and enjoyed the experience.  A kilt may be a bit much in the buffet, but if you use the dining room, wear it for dinner each night!!  You'll be the hit of the cruise...

17 hours ago, stoneharborlady said:

On each of my cruises, I saw a gentleman dressed in his kilt.  I vote YES!  Many years ago I married a man from Edinburgh, who of course had his own kilt.  You will not be overdressed, and will get many approving looks I'll bet.

Does hubby still wear his kilt on your cruises?

17 hours ago, Tak8 said:

Bring it.  Enjoy your cruise.

Have the chef prepare Haggis to share with your table mates. I am sure they will love it.  One of my favorites. 👍

Enjoy.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

18 hours ago, phil-mcc said:

Hi All 👋

My wife and I are just about to pop our cruising cherry at the ripe old age of 45.

Rapidly approaching date of departure of 14th Aug for the 10 day RT to Alaska from SF on the Grand.

Firstly a thanks to all who contribute on these boards as without them I'd still have hundreds of questions in my head, they've all been answered by reading on here, even loads of questions i didn't know i needed to ask, so Thank you all.

I still have one though.........

Do I bring my Kilt for the formal nights?

I have no issues with luggage allowance so this isn't a concern, my concern is more of a "will I be overdressed ?". From reading posts on here I gather Alaska cruises may be a but more informal than other destinations, is that a fair assumption?

To Kilt or not to Kilt.

Thanks

Philip.

Philip,

I will go you one better than just offering advice, I will ensure that you aren't alone in your endeavor.

I had been on the fence about taking my kilt as it is heavy and we do have some luggage allowance concerns.

From my experience, no issues with your sgian dubh, I have worn mine and since it the blade is under 2 1/2 inches, and not honed, no one has ever even batted an eye.

Perhaps we can have a drink on formal night?

Cheers,

Scott

DIGITAL_5102_OI(198366)_Digital_1(1)_N(S Nietzel)_T(31.12.2018-15.02.24)_PN(009DbBboyAV_0065.jpg).jpg

• Like 1

My husband wears his kilt for formal nights on all cruises we have been on including Alaska 7 times, and there are always others.  He often takes his bagpipes also and plays a couple of times in Crooners during the cruise.  No problem with the Sgian Duhb but make sure it is in your check-in baggage, we put it in a shoe.

Still waiting for the Haggis.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 7:08 PM, cougaraz said:

Philip,

I will go you one better than just offering advice, I will ensure that you aren't alone in your endeavor.

I had been on the fence about taking my kilt as it is heavy and we do have some luggage allowance concerns.

From my experience, no issues with your sgian dubh, I have worn mine and since it the blade is under 2 1/2 inches, and not honed, no one has ever even batted an eye.

Perhaps we can have a drink on formal night?

Cheers,

Scott

DIGITAL_5102_OI(198366)_Digital_1(1)_N(S Nietzel)_T(31.12.2018-15.02.24)_PN(009DbBboyAV_0065.jpg).jpg

Sounds like a great idea (as long as it's not whiskey 😣)

On 8/4/2019 at 12:49 AM, phil-mcc said:

Hi All 👋

My wife and I are just about to pop our cruising cherry at the ripe old age of 45.

Rapidly approaching date of departure of 14th Aug for the 10 day RT to Alaska from SF on the Grand.

Firstly a thanks to all who contribute on these boards as without them I'd still have hundreds of questions in my head, they've all been answered by reading on here, even loads of questions i didn't know i needed to ask, so Thank you all.

I still have one though.........

Do I bring my Kilt for the formal nights?

I have no issues with luggage allowance so this isn't a concern, my concern is more of a "will I be overdressed ?". From reading posts on here I gather Alaska cruises may be a but more informal than other destinations, is that a fair assumption?

To Kilt or not to Kilt.

Thanks

Philip.

DEFINITELY take your kilt