Harmony Aug 4, 2019 - We're not on Empress anymore.

3 hours ago, retdon said:

Thanks Judy, Boy this sign sure says what they have not told us. Was this the Silk Room on deck 5?

This is deck 3 MTD. I'll ask our head waiter tomorow for Silk manager info.

BTW, I'm John

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Our first cruise was the carnival Mardi Gras in 1988.  I think I read that one of the newer carnival ships will be renamed the Mardi Gras.  So yes, I think we have been cruising along time too

m

Yes Carnival's new LNG behemoth will be named Mardi Gras. I may book her, shes local. 😁

Edited by John&LaLa

11 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Folks of been hanging laundry on their chairs to air out or dry for years. It’s only visible because these cabins can be seen from across or within the ship. 

Honestly, we’ve hung a bathing suit on the chair to dry, but we  generally put the hanger on the back of the chair so even if our cabin was visible, no one would see the clothes. 

M

Personally in this humid air, unless they are dripping, they will dry faster indoors with the AC

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Our first cruise was the carnival Mardi Gras in 1988.  I think I read that one of the newer carnival ships will be renamed the Mardi Gras.  So yes, I think we have been cruising along time too

m

We sailed on the Mardis Gras in 1985.  Yes, we've been cruising a long time as well.

58 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

No ship....

Carnival may resurrect our first ship.

Carnivale. 🛳 

My first was Carnival's Festivale.

April 1982.  

With a GT under 33,000, she was still only 2/3 the size of Empress and less than half of Majesty!  An Oasis class ship could carry her around as a tender!  LOL

festivale.3.miami.07fe81.jpg

Festivale-01_RF.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

+1, Jan 1988.

+2 APRIL 1984. I remember thinking the ship was so huge...but then when we arrived at our cabin..oh my it was soooo small! Do you remember how the wait staff in the dining room entertained us every night?

33 minutes ago, brillohead said:

My first was Carnival's Festivale.

April 1982.  

With a GT under 33,000, she was still only 2/3 the size of Empress and less than half of Majesty!  An Oasis class ship could carry her around as a tender!  LOL

I was on the Festivale in 1979, my second cruise. The first was Holland America Statendam in 1976. I remember getting a booklet printed with the names and home towns of all the passengers. That'd be quite a hefty book on today's ships!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The waiter dancing with a lit shot glass on his head probably didn’t plan to drop it down his back. 

Oh dear..that must have gotten a lot of attention...poor guy! Yes, the waiters did walk around or dance around with plates on their heads. There's just nothing like your "first cruise:)"

And now we're going on beautiful Harmony and envisioning John and La La's cruise through John's review.

When I look at John's future cruises, I dream of being like them when my DH and I "grow up." If only I could get my workaholic DH  to RETIRE!!!.

Edited by ptf2009
spelling
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, ptf2009 said:

When I look at John's future cruises, I dream of being like them when my DH and I "grow up." If only I could get my workaholic DH  to RETIRE!!!.

Let DH keep working and you find a girlfriend to cruise with in the meantime!  LOL

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Let DH keep working and you find a girlfriend to cruise with in the meantime!  LOL

Oh, but it just wouldn't be the same.....now would it? Really, I would miss him tooo much...after all I've had my "eye" on him since I was 10 years old:)

brillohead...we are on the same EOS cruise in November!

And we fly to FLL for our Harmony cruise in 36 days:) See, he really does spoil me...but I still want to cruise as often as John and La la!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jdg623 said:

I agree. CATS is one of the most popular stage shows of all time. It's been seen by millions and has grossed billions worldwide. It changed the face of musical theatre. It's not for everyone and I respect that. But it wouldn't still be around if most people felt the way many on this board seem to feel.  I love CATS. I saw the original Broadway cast back in 1982 and have seen it countless times since then. Whenever we're on the Oasis, I attend all three performances. I'm the one up front singing (silently) along with the cast to every song. 😎

I've seen a lot of Broadway shows and CATS is by far at the bottom of the list.  We go to NYC about every 12-18 months for a few days and go to several shows.  CATS biggest problem is it's outdated.  I remember wearing leg warmers in the 80's, but there are plenty of people who don't know what they are.  Their costumes remind me of Jane Fonda.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ptf2009 said:

Oh, but it just wouldn't be the same.....now would it? Really, I would miss him tooo much...after all I've had my "eye" on him since I was 10 years old:)

brillohead...we are on the same EOS cruise in November!

And we fly to FLL for our Harmony cruise in 36 days:) See, he really does spoil me...but I still want to cruise as often as John and La la!!

Well, if you ever do want a traveling companion, count me in.  

See you in November!!!!

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

No ship....

Carnival may resurrect our first ship.

Carnivale. 🛳

Screenshot_20190809-151430_Chrome.jpg.b6c31a96c92ef54048a6bc767d4f68aa.jpg

Yeah, since there’s now a Mardi Gras and Princess built a new version of my first on Princess, Sky Princess. 

HAL does the most name reusing, though. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Yeah, since there’s now a Mardi Gras and Princess built a new version of my first on Princess, Sky Princess. 

HAL does the most name reusing, though. 

Our tenth cruise was on Sky Princess,  but it never left the pier. CG cancelled it due to engine problems

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Met a fellow CC member today.

Screen name is Member123, but I've forgotten her real name. 😥

Blame it on the Belle Glos at lunch.🍷🍷

Anyway, it's always a joy to meet supporters.

Thats my Mom! I’ve been following along because my parents are on your sailing! Her name is Pam! Enjoying your thread very much!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/4/2019 at 8:53 PM, John&LaLa said:

As s far as I know we have 18 onboard. Top Tier is Tuesday. 

20190804_144420.thumb.jpg.e42cc833bbafe0058cff21ec5152dca7.jpg

That just might be my birthday. 😇

Ace is the CK manager, I'll ask about JS's in the morning

Just found this thread, as I was on the Mariner last weekend when you started it. Looking forward to reading the whole thing. We were on (actually debarkation day) for my B-day!   Happy Belated! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BND said:

I've seen a lot of Broadway shows and CATS is by far at the bottom of the list.  We go to NYC about every 12-18 months for a few days and go to several shows.  CATS biggest problem is it's outdated.  I remember wearing leg warmers in the 80's, but there are plenty of people who don't know what they are.  Their costumes remind me of Jane Fonda.

Hmm, sexy dancers in skin tight catsuits. Yea, that's outdated. 🤣

Vic_HKT_8.jpg.c82be203f2b9c797f2820e5795c93d09.jpg

1113603692_demeterandbombalurina.thumb.jpg.1f40aeb10030899c85eed68436fff7f8.jpg

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Hmm, sexy dancers in skin tight catsuits. Yea, that's outdated. 🤣

Vic_HKT_8.jpg.c82be203f2b9c797f2820e5795c93d09.jpg

1113603692_demeterandbombalurina.thumb.jpg.1f40aeb10030899c85eed68436fff7f8.jpg

Sexy?  To each his own.  My DH wasn't all that impressed either.  Very, very 80s.  Like I said, it reminds me of Jane Fonda in her exercise heyday.  Lycra and leg warmers.  I don't have to like it.  You do tend to defend the show quite a lot.  Most posts I've seen about it are not very positive.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Our tenth cruise was on Sky Princess,  but it never left the pier. CG cancelled it due to engine problems

I started cruising on the 4th sailing of Premier Cruise Line. Early April 1984. Did a ton of Premier because I was working and didn’t have time for long cruises. 

Then I started trying them all out and got to Princess in 1996. Sky was moving to Asia and we hit a 12 day Alaska Vancouver Vancouver. 

That was a great cruise because we were able to visit Seward and see the Kenai peninsula by boat, Valdez, and every one of the Inside Passage ports. Lucky us!!

• Like 1