Lock luggage?

cstj

On 8/4/2019 at 1:10 PM, Merion_Mom said:

I lock my suitcases - even the one I keep with me.

Why bother?  Because if someone wants to steal out of luggage, they go for YOURS first, since you didn't bother to lock them.  Thank you.

One theory.

Another is anything worth locking is worth stealing and a luggage lock is an advertisement that the bag contains something valuable.

I prefer the camo method.  Unlocked 25 year old luggage that looks like it couldn’t possibly contain anything of value.

1 hour ago, ed01106 said:

One theory.

Another is anything worth locking is worth stealing and a luggage lock is an advertisement that the bag contains something valuable.

I prefer the camo method.  Unlocked 25 year old luggage that looks like it couldn’t possibly contain anything of value.

Ditto! Thieves do not want to waste time and take risks on luggage that may contain nothing of value. Locked luggage implies that there may be something in there worth stealing. With limited time, and a chance to get caught, thieves will go for luggage that has the highest possibility of value, not the least. 

Besides, if your luggage has a zipper, a thief can open it and close it in seconds without leaving a trace, all with a pen as a tool. Here is another video on just how simple it is. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

23 hours ago, Lionesss said:

We started  locking our suitcases a few cruises back after a missing item.

We used Luggage Valet on the Oasis.

Put our suitcases out the night before

Delivered strait to Cleveland minus the MK sandals, now mind you do not know who would want worn sandals, but still.

So, somewhere along the travel chain, someone had the opportunity to open and search and take the sandals from the time the bags were placed  outside the cabin, to turnstile in Cleveland.

But, nothing else was taken.

Yup

Wall mart has the locks.

Safe travels.

To steal only a pair of worn sandals makes zero sense. You probably forgot to pack them, especially if they were under the bed or somewhere else out of the way. 

23 hours ago, jagsfan said:

The point of TSA locks is that TSA employees can open them. 

There are no TSA employees at ports. 

Therefore no keys with which to open TSA locks. 

The security people must have been dunderheads not to match the lady’s name with the name on the luggage tag. 

Those TSA keys are easily available on the internet. Anyone can get them. There are even sites where you can download a 3D file of the key and print one on a home 3D printer. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

No, you do not have to use only TSA approved locks on your luggage when flying. 

No, but your locks may be cut off, or your luggage damaged if they need to get into them.

BT, DT with older luggage.

On 8/4/2019 at 1:10 PM, Merion_Mom said:

I lock my suitcases - even the one I keep with me.

Why bother?  Because if someone wants to steal out of luggage, they go for YOURS first, since you didn't bother to lock them.  Thank you.

No, they just figure yours has something worth while, and steal the whole thing. 😄

I rarely lock my luggage for a cruise, since I usually do a carry on only.  One time I didn't I locked it, and someone just unzipped the outside top pocket and used a box cutter to slash the lining and get inside to feel around.  Didn't take anything, but the underside of my Tilly Hat got slashed as well, eh?

Forty plus years of extensive business and personal travel to many parts of the world  Never had anything stolen.  We did not use locks, did not travel with expensive designer luggage, and did not put valuables in our bags.  Nor did we want our bags damaged by someone who decides to rip the zipper or cut open the side.

For the past eight years (and for the foreseeable future) is has been carry on only.  Even then, we have 'travel jewelry' that we take on trips.  Inexpensive watch, earings, etc.   

We have looked at luggage locks. Seems to me that they are all very flimsy.  The ones we have looked at would probably sigh and open up automatically at the sight of someone who only looks suspicious.  A bobby pin would do it in seconds. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

To steal only a pair of worn sandals makes zero sense. You probably forgot to pack them, especially if they were under the bed or somewhere else out of the way. 

Yeah, I going with the “forgot to pack theory” as more likely than their is a syndicate of criminals stealing used sandals theory. LOL

Edited by ed01106

We always lock our luggage, if available we even wrap in plastic at the airport especially for international flights.  I guess those who don't lock theirs have never seen on TV how some folks working at airports steal from luggage... we pack generally new clothes and personal items, something have gifts for those we will visit, don't want someone stealing them.  

2 hours ago, pris993 said:

We always lock our luggage, if available we even wrap in plastic at the airport especially for international flights.  I guess those who don't lock theirs have never seen on TV how some folks working at airports steal from luggage... we pack generally new clothes and personal items, something have gifts for those we will visit, don't want someone stealing them.  

Oh, you mean like those tabloid type exposé shows? Yeah, THOSE are always unbiased and completely accurate. 🙄

Over 40 years of domestic and international travel and never a lock used nor ever a missing item. I will believe my experience over sensationalism any day. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, pris993 said:

Yeap.

I have over 3 million air miles.  Mostly international, to a lot of 3rd world countries.  I carry nice clothes (for work), and many times food or alcohol.

And I don't lock my luggage.  I don't have it plastic wrapped.  And don't have issues.

And again, why would they take the time to steal from your luggage, versus just taking the bag?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, SRF said:

Yeap.

I have over 3 million air miles.  Mostly international, to a lot of 3rd world countries.  I carry nice clothes (for work), and many times food or alcohol.

And I don't lock my luggage.  I don't have it plastic wrapped.  And don't have issues.

And again, why would they take the time to steal from your luggage, versus just taking the bag?

Not impressed but good for you. Obviously your experiences are not the same as what others may have experienced. We use TSA locks on our soft sided luggage and if it gives us a false sense of security (in your opinion) I don't care! Works for us and that's all the matters. Even when we use to travel with hard sided luggage they were always locked. Personal preference to lock or not. We've never had an issue with locked luggage with all the flying we do either. 

21 hours ago, pris993 said:

If you plastic wrap, it, how does TSA get into your luggage if they have to check it - cut off the wrap.  Do you think that the wrap might make it more likely that your luggage will be TSA checked just because they can?

DON

On 8/4/2019 at 9:51 AM, time4u2go said:

Let's face it, if somebody really wants to get into your suitcase, they will, zip tie or TSA locks.

If someone wants to open a TSA lock, they can make copies of the 7 TSA master keys using a 3D printer and patterns readily available online - here's an article about them:

https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/27/security-experts-have-cloned-all-seven-tsa-master-keys/

In 30 plus years have only had luggage opened once when returning from Spain, we had mistakenly packed a luggage scale with battery still in it.  We recognize what not to pack... so wrapping luggage in plastic simply protects from weather and unwanted  

rip offs.  Has not been our experience that luggage checked because of plastic wrap... infact the one time we left a luggage scale in the luggage it was not plastic wrapped. 

7 hours ago, SRF said:

Yeap.

19 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

Oh, you mean like those tabloid type exposé shows? Yeah, THOSE are always unbiased and completely accurate. 🙄

Over 40 years of domestic and international travel and never a lock used nor ever a missing item. I will believe my experience over sensationalism any day. 

uncover video, showing folks in action, a picture is worth a thousand words.... locks make less easy... 

On 8/4/2019 at 9:35 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Nonsense.

Do you leave your doors unlocked at home?  After all, someone could just break in.

Do you leave your car unlocked?  After all,someone could just break in.

Some of you people have WEIRD ideas.

I have a ragtop convertible. I leave it unlocked, hopefully a thief would try the door before slashing the top.

• Like 1