Anyone have anything nice to say about the Luminosa ?

Shippy

Just held a PS cabin. Price was great & it has that wonderful wraparound balcony on the back of the ship. This is for a Caribbean cruise.

Then I started to read the reviews.  Seems almost everyone complains about the food.

Is it true there is no where you can get pizza without paying ?

Do you have to pay for internet if you are in a suite ?

Your other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yes to both.

Although as a PS guest you will eat in the Club restaurant which does have slightly better choices.

The internet package is okay, but it is very slow on board. Long time since our time on Luminosa but over all Costa's latest brain wave is ' Stopping food waste' so selection is limited, but with five courses to choose from adequate.

As said above given the price Costa is value for the money, so if itinerary is what you want the time is right then go for it. 

The Luminosa is the ship of light so take sunglasses.

• Like 1

May I make a comment about the pizza? Costa do not have many speciality restaurants but the Pizza and burger restaurant is one.

The pizzas are ordered off a menu and individually made. They are pretty big. Included in the price is a starter(actually a bowl of olives) and a dessert(there are a few options-choc mouse, tiramisu, lemon(and I think apple) pie and fruit. The burgers are HUGE and served with potato wedges. Neither of these are your run of the mill buffet dishes. Last time we sailed it was half price if you are Costa club. CHEAP!!!!!!!

I do look at the other boards and it is amazing that whether you look on Costa or the so called more premium lines, you get the same old boring complaints.

By the way OP. We like the Luminosa (and Costa).

Riana

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the Diadema in the club restaurant we were able to order a pizza as it was outside the restaurant, that said the Maître d' was special nothing was to much trouble for him & he tried to fill any request we made. 

• Like 1

Luminosa and Deliziosa are sister ships, almost identical. Deliziosa has been doing the Caribbean trips for the past few years.

Food is comparable to 4-star resorts I have stayed at on the Costa Brava in Spain. If you're looking for 6,000 calorie feeding troughs, stick to American ships. It is nightlife which is far superior to any American ship I know of. Most of the people with negative reviews should never have chosen Costa in the first place.

I agree with all the comments about the animators and the pizza. I recall having to pay for pizza on Royal Caribbean several years ago.

Interesting though, in the late 1990's & early 20's Costa was renowned for the fabulous Pizza restaurants on board.

I really miss those on the current new ships  although the Diadema has one of sorts, but merged with a burger bar.

We are sailing on Luminosa for the first time in October - Greek Isles.  First time on Costa (or any Carnival line)  We have sailed RCCI, Celebrity and we are Platinum Plus on NCL.  But, in my opinion, any cruise is a good cruise.  Those who sail looking for negatives will find them.  And, I'm tired of complainers!!

Mellygo

• Like 1

Forgot to mention Pizzeria is open to staff who want a night out, away from the crew mess- they pay the same (Costa Club) price I do. I'm told some people get really upset but I never really noticed, it seemed just like a normal pizzeria. My last trip, I only saw passengers twice, without the staff it wouldn't have been open when I wanted it.

We traveled in a suite last year on Costa - we did not get internet included and we paid full price at the restaurants. 

I'd like to know how you find out about the half price restaurant/pizza meals.  If we can find a restaurant on Costa Victoria - I'd rather not pay full price if we get specials.

15 hours ago, alicat58 said:

If you are Costa club they charge half price.

Riana

Thanks Riana - our last cruise we were costa club but didnt get half price when we used the specialty restaurants.  Do we have to request this ?  We are in a suite so will be eating in the Club restaurant I believe.  However, with a normal MDR menu.  If we order the pay for (using the restaurant as if a specialty pay for one) do we have to ask to be charged half price.  Sorry for the confusion.  I didnt check anything prior to our last cruise and I regret that.  This time I'm still lost 😉

Edited by Janet&Carl

The 50% for club members is only on some ships & certain cruises. The Diadema for instance offered it for our three Christmas & New year cruises yet not offered on the Favolosa this year. Never even heard of any discount for the internet for suite guests but they did have lots of offers for their Anniversary year which did include reasonable deal on internet packages.

Again different Countries different rules it seems.

Tenpin is right. Costa seem to make rules up as they go along. It has only been the burger/pizza place where we were charged half price. It was the case for our last three cruises at least. That included South America in Febr/March.

The "pay for dishes" in the club also seem to vary. They usually have the steak, prawns and lobster on as freebies. On occasion the whole extra menu was "free" when we were in club. Don't even bother with the veal chop, free or not. Dry and greasy.  The only item I might pay for is the Ham and parmasan dish. It is huge and more than enough for a shared starter. It is really good.

We have only had suites with upgrades and then you don't always get the suite benefits. 

Riana