Live On-Board Ventura N921

DamianG

23 hours ago, daiB said:

Better not look at my cruises to come. 🙂

Excellent reports BTW. Not sure about the getting up for 8.00 every day although if you have kids I suppose you don’t get much choice.

Hi Dai

Waking times vary, this morning I woke at 7:30am due to the vibrations from the sideways movement of the ship as we docked. I'm not sure if that is an aft cabin thing though as we nearly always choose to be at the back. Our son slept through it but I'm not surprised after a heavy days walking yesterday.

Edited by DamianG

14 hours ago, kelbob said:

Hi, I’m enjoying your posts! I’ll be sailing on Ventura from next Friday (Fjords cruise). It’s my first time cruising with P&O since 1995 when I was 11. I have sailed with RCI several times and NCL. I always dress up when cruising but people don’t really bother on NCL ships. Can you tell me if people make an effort on Ventura? My husband will be taking a suit for formal night, do most people dress up? 

Thank you 

Hi

We always dress up, suit or dinner jacket for me on a formal evening and a smart, tailored shirt and trousers on a casual evening. There are many different interpretations for evening casual though!

I wouldn't like to guess a percentage of how many dress up and how many don't bother. In the restaurants where we eat dinner and the venues we go to afterwards most passengers seem appropriately attired but that said we avoid the buffet and don't often go in the pub or open decks in the evening.

My suggestion would be to dress up how you want and forget about anyone else. Some probably look at me on a casual evening, in my long sleeved shirt, and think I am overdressed but I am happy and comfortable so that is all that matters.

Have a great cruise.

• Like 1

Saturday 10th August

Buenos días desde la Capital Chicharrera (Santa Cruz de Tenerife)

Yesterday morning we had to wake our son in order to make the 9:30am cut-off for the MDR breakfast which we managed with 7 minutes to spare. That said, the generous restaurant manager was still letting passengers in until 9:40am so we didn’t feel too bad with our latish arrival.

We then planned a leisurely morning in the cabin with the idea being to go ashore when we all felt like it. That changed late morning when the in-laws called to say that they were coming with us and were ready to go straight away so suddenly we felt a little rushed. We disembarked about 12:15pm then had a very slow long walk round to Bajamar beach on the opposite side of the bay where the ship was docked. It’s not a particularly pretty walk as you go around the dock and past an industrial area but at least it is easy to navigate. However, having sent us ahead as we were walking quicker, we noticed that the in-laws were some way behind us and heading straight into the industrial park after having missed a crossing where the main road divides. We then stood there waving frantically for a few minutes trying to get them to double back and coincidently we attracted the attention of some other P&O passengers who were also heading the wrong way (we recognised the famous blue beach towels they were carrying). Once we’d finished directing traffic we carried on and I piggy-backed my son the last 100 metres or so as by now he was quite fed up with the walking and hanging about.

La playa de Bajamar is a black sand beach which is well kept, has changing rooms and a snack bar. There are no sun loungers but we found shade under a palm tree, the last one available as all the others were taken. The dry sand can be scorching hot so wearing flip flops as you walk down for a paddle is essential. My son and I quickly changed and headed down to the sea which was cold at first but we soon became accustomed to it. Paddling and moving deeper almost felt like going down a staircase where you would suddenly drop unexpectedly. It is quite stony / pebbly once you are in the water which takes a bit of getting used to. Eventually the in-laws arrived which freed up my wife to join us so for once we all had some time in the water together. To be fair though, I think we could have left our belongings without security guards as many others were doing and the whole environment felt safe and friendly.

We spent the next couple of hours on the beach, taking turns to go in the water with our son and we also got some drinks from the snack bar. There were a few blue towels dotted around the beach but not as many as I expected. From the dressing rooms to approximately halfway down the beach there is a concrete path and some passengers had turned this into a mini cricket pitch which I thought was great. I watched for a while as an enthusiastic dad and another chap were bowling to a young boy and making the game come alive with their exited appealing, oohs and aarghs and even throwing in a bit of commentary here and there. Funniest thing was when the boy took a good swing and swatted it away legside just short of a palm tree where the rest of their group were sitting. No interest in returning the ball was shown whatsoever at which point enthusiastic dad shouts “Come on Clare – you’re supposed to be square leg!” (I think that was her name anyway). Brilliant! Our palm tree was more or less at backward point and I secretly hoped for a hit to come our way so that I could show off my fielding prowess but no such luck.

By 3pm the grown-ups were all hungry and craving some tapas but our son wanted to stay on the beach. Negotiations (a nice word for arguments) started; you just can’t please everyone all the time. Eventually I asked my son if another half hour would be long enough so that we could leave the beach at 3:30pm and thankfully he was happy with that (maybe I should look for a job as a UN peacemaker?). This became the plan so having just dried off I found myself heading back into the sea with him and this time it felt a whole lot colder. We took the opportunity to explore the rocks and saw a starfish and various crabs including a really scary looking beast that was brown with bright red flashes. When we came back out the in-laws had already set-off back but knowing the long walk ahead we took our time showering and getting changed. We caught them up at the dock entrance, crossed the busy road and ended up on Avenida Marítima which is more or less the promenade. We eventually stopped at a café bar that looked okay and ordered some drinks. There wasn’t an English menu and I’d forgotten the Spanish phrasebook so we were reliant on my rusty Spanish A-level from 30+ years ago. On the menu there was a new phrase to me, “Pulgas” which Google Translate (I had to cheat using 4G) told me was “fleas”. Pulga con pollo – flea with chicken anyone? After a bit more research it turns out that pulgas are small “2 bite” open sandwiches. You’re never too old to learn. No-one was happy with the menu, more “negotiations” followed and we soon left but only after our son had a “Turby” (“We put the Lush in Slush” as their marketing poster states).

We walked another 30 metres or so and stopped at Bar Sputnik. Still no tapas but by now it was almost 5pm and we were getting desperate so we stayed and ordered food. The others had 2 pizzas to share and I thought I’d ordered a paella marinera but was delivered something similar using short spaghetti. It looked lovely though so I didn’t bother the friendly waitress and I am glad that I hadn’t as it was delicious, washed down with a glass of sangria which I found a bit sweet but okay. Italian food all round in a Spanish port and we’ve still not had any tapas, we’ll have to put that right soon. Whilst sat outside we noticed a fair number of P&O passengers walking past with beach gear. At this point we realised that there is a new man-made beach next to Avenida Marítima and a lot nearer to the dock so that will be our plan next time we visit here. Having said that we couldn’t see any shade and definitely nowhere to set-up a cricket pitch in the soft sand. We eventually made our way back to the ship with a quick stop for another Turby. When the waitress handed over the slushy our son looked her in the eye, smiled and said “Gracias”. What a star.

My phone shows that I did 11,600+ steps / 8.6km yesterday not including going up and down the beach several times. Our son must have done even more than that so he did extremely well and I feel slightly guilty that we maybe walked a bit too much yesterday. We’ve also copped a bit of sunburn despite our super-conscious best efforts to cover up and find shade. The sun got me on my feet between my ankle and flip flop strap line where I have a nice pink and white stripe. It got my wife on her neck and part of her shoulders around her swimsuit line where we definitely applied tonnes of sun cream but can only assume the sea water washed it off. Sometimes these “water-proof” sun creams are not all that they are cracked up to be. Thank goodness our son is all clear.

We went to dinner later than usual and were seated on table 51 in the middle of the Cinnamon Restaurant at 7:50pm. We had an express service whereby the starters were delivered shortly after ordering and then the mains were delivered as soon as the starters were whipped away. Our son had pasta as a starter then chicken tikka masala from the main menu which he found to be just a bit too spicy (and he usually does well with curries). My wife had the same while I was on “fish Friday” so chose salmon, tuna and shrimp brioche which I assumed would be some kind of bread-based dish like a bruschetta. However, it was pieces of fish on a skewer with no bread in sight so I either misread the menu (don’t think I did) or completely misunderstood it. A poor choice on my part and I paid the price but fortunately I wasn’t that hungry anyway especially after the latest lunch of all time. By 8:20pm we were ordering dessert but then the usual delay kicked-in and on this occasion, we were happy for it to do so. After ordering dessert, we noticed an xxxxl sized oldish chap march through the restaurant dressed in a polo shirt, Adidas shorts and flip flops. He went to a table near us then started a fairly loud conversation with the occupants. After a short while a restaurant manager about half his size went over and quietly asked him to leave as he was not appropriately dressed. He eventually did leave but only after he had finished his conversation. We’d all finished by 8:55pm then my wife and I stayed behind with our son while he had his daily post-dinner cup of tea.

After dinner we thought that we would have a drink in The Glass House but it was cold and weirdly smelt of fresh paint. We went down a level to the Exchange pub on Deck 6 but that was a big mistake with hordes there watching the Liverpool v Norwich football match on TV. We then tried Havana up on deck 7 but that was similarly packed for Becky Porter as “Adele” so we found ourselves back in The Tamarind Club having recorded another shipload of steps. Unbelievably we found ourselves sat next to xxxxl man and his friends who were a little loud but not too bad. The entertainment team put on a game show “Less Is More” which is effectively “Pointless” from TV and though I wasn’t that interested beforehand once it started it was quite good. We called time around 10:30pm after a long day.

Footnote: For anyone wondering I'm the doylum in the sun hat in the first picture below:

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0886.JPG

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Damian, these daily blogs are brilliant, I look forward to reading them each day 🙂

Btw, have you seen Stuart Pearce again? I think if my husband was there he would be looking out for him the whole time 🤣

Thanks Sarah, very kind.

I've not seen Mr Pearce again yet, I really must drag myself out of bed and get to the gym early again one of these days.

Apparently he is doing some football coaching sessions & a hosted dinner but neither of those activities will work for us unfortunately.

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

Hi Dai

Waking times vary, this morning I woke at 7:30am due to the vibrations from the sideways movement of the ship as we docked. I'm not sure if that is an aft cabin thing though as we nearly always choose to be at the back. Our son slept through it but I'm not surprised after a heavy days walking yesterday.

We like the stern as well but often sleep through the arrival in port. Once we are both sleeping it takes a lot to wake us.

😎

Thoroughly enjoying your blog, especially as we have a 35 day cruise booked on Ventura in 2021.

Can I ask how long breakfast takes to be served in the MDR.? We are not normally early risers,  but might have to get up earlier than usual so as to avoid the buffet scrummage. 

Hi Damien, Thanks again for your blog as it's really helping us get a real feel for time on board. If you have chance, would you be able to post a pic of a horizon from a sea day during your cruise so we can see what's on? We go next Friday 🙂

54 minutes ago, MrandMrsCoz said:

Hi Damien, Thanks again for your blog as it's really helping us get a real feel for time on board. If you have chance, would you be able to post a pic of a horizon from a sea day during your cruise so we can see what's on? We go next Friday 🙂

Here we go.

Screenshot_2019-08-10 horizon at sea - Google Search.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Thoroughly enjoying your blog, especially as we have a 35 day cruise booked on Ventura in 2021.

Can I ask how long breakfast takes to be served in the MDR.? We are not normally early risers,  but might have to get up earlier than usual so as to avoid the buffet scrummage. 

Times vary, on a sea day seated breakfast on this cruise has been available 8:00am-9:30am in the Saffron Restaurant and 8:30am-10:00am in the Bay Tree Restaurant. The timings are earlier on port days.

Well worth the effort of getting up early in my opinion.

3 hours ago, MrandMrsCoz said:

Here you go:

IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

5 hours ago, DamianG said:

Times vary, on a sea day seated breakfast on this cruise has been available 8:00am-9:30am in the Saffron Restaurant and 8:30am-10:00am in the Bay Tree Restaurant. The timings are earlier on port days.

Well worth the effort of getting up early in my opinion.

Thank you.  Hopefully I can cajole my wife  to get to the Bay Tree by 10!

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Thank you.  Hopefully I can cajole my wife  to get to the Bay Tree by 10!

If I can get there by 10 anyone should be able to.

😎

Sunday 11th August

Lanzarote, up super early for our first ever “shore experience”.

Yesterday I was awoken by the sideways thrusters as we docked at Santa Cruz de Tenerife around 7:30am. Our son slept through and we had to wake him to make the cut-off for MDR seated breakfast ending at 9:30am. Incredibly, we arrived at 9:23am same as yesterday.

It was soon apparent that we had a tired and grumpy boy on our hands, undoubtedly as a result of yesterday’s extreme exertions. We had planned to go to Parque Marítimo de Santa Cruz, a lido near the opera house known by the locals as “la piscina” (swimming pool). It’s a lovely place, cheap admission with good changing facilities and fair priced food and drinks. We once took a taxi there and the driver advised that it is a place for local families and “not for tourists”. We replied “Bueno” which made him laugh and he then delivered us right next to the entrance. Anyway I digress, our son just wanted to stay in the cabin and take it easy so we compromised and said that we would give the lido a miss this time and go out for shopping and some lunch later.

We eventually headed out and caught the shuttle bus. After getting on I reached into my pocket to get my cruise card so that I could zip it away in our rucksack but it wasn’t there. I had a minor panic and told the driver I had lost my card and was going to look for it. Just as I approached cruise ship security I spotted my wife waving my card from the front bus window, advising that she found it at the side of my seat. Panic over, then the bus driver also found a card and asked if it was mine but of course it wasn’t. Trying to get back to my seat a lady came bustling down the aisle the other way and I couldn’t get past her. Presumably she was a grandma as she was pulling along a little girl who asked why they were getting off. Grandma said “Because we’ve lost your cruise card” and I immediately said “Is it for Alice?” She said it was so I told her the driver had the card. She then pushed past me without a single word of thanks and went to see the driver. As my wife said, what is wrong with people these days?

The bus dropped us off close to Plaza de España. From there we walked to the department store El Corte Inglés but we had misjudged the distance a bit and our son started grumbling again, though we did stop for an ice cream on the way to ease the pain. Once in store we headed straight to the floor for “Juguetes” (toys) and he quickly found some Pokémon figures to add to his collection so he soon cheered up. He had some spending money from grandparents and aunty, and I also bought him a Schleich octopus model that he liked. It’s debateable who likes going to these places more, me or him, but on this occasion they didn’t have any Scalextric cars or Subbuteo teams so I came away empty-handed.

Outside the store we got straight into a taxi and we were quickly back at Plaza de España. The fare was just €3.15 and I said to the lady driver “Es barato” (cheap). She replied in her best gruff Arnold Schwarzenegger terminator voice “Minimum fare!” Near to where she dropped us off our son spotted a newspaper stall with a Turby stand so he had another slushy.

The café bars around the square were busy so we walked up Calle Bethencourt Alfonso and spotted El Lateral 27 which looked a bit more upmarket than anything else we’d seen. They didn’t have tapas but the man on the door said that they did have “raciónes” and ushered us inside. The waiting staff only spoke a few words of English but seemed genuinely happy that I had a “poquito” of Spanish so between us the ordering process was pretty straightforward. We ordered some fries for our son, calamari, papas arrugadas (salted potatoes) and huevos rancheros (potatoes, chorizo and fried egg). We also got some bread, water, coca cola for our son and a bottle of vino blanco. It was a lovely meal in a bright and airy restaurant where even the loos were immaculate. The waiting staff talked our son into some ice cream then he had to sit and suffer a bit while we finished the vino. To pass the time we decided to make a game of guessing the bill as we no longer had the menu in front of us. My wife and I took a stab in the dark each, suggesting €57 and €59 respectively. I then got some paper and a pen and we wrote down everything that we’d had. We then talked through what we thought each would cost and our son wrote it all down then came up with a total of €62. A bit of sneaky writing and maths practice on holiday without him even realising it. When the bill arrived, I asked the waitress to give it straight to our son and his face lit up when he read the total, €61.40. I promised him a winning prize of some more Euros to spend in another port. As we left the restaurant my wife pointed out that we were right next to a KFC which is his absolute favourite take-away meal. I’m just glad he didn’t spot it beforehand.

Strolling back to the terminal our son had another Turby and a paddle in the pond in the centre of Plaza de España. Once at the terminal a shuttle bus came straight away and we were soon back at the ship. There were 2 large queues to get back on board so we had to wait about 10 minutes. We had some cabin time then were back out for dinner at 7pm. We were allocated table 8 again near the window with the same waiters we’d had twice before. It was a pleasant meal, French fries starter and pasta main for our son, mahi mahi fish for my wife and battered cod and chips for me. They never put that dish on the menu on Fridays (not in my experience anyway) but I wish that they would. We finished dinner around 8:45 pm but my wife wasn’t feeling too well so we skipped the evening’s entertainment offerings and went back to the cabin for an early night. We all definitely needed it especially as we had a very early start scheduled on Sunday.

IMG_0887.JPG

• Like 2

Monday 12th August

Monday morning, 2 out of 4 Eggs Benedict came out hard-boiled. What an outrage! P&O food is like school dinners! Only kidding folks, the food is great and we never had Eggs Benedict on the menu of either school I attended in the 70’s & 80’s.

Yesterday we were up around 7:25am and our pre-ordered room service breakfast arrived at 7:40am. I don’t remember bacon, sausage and tomato paninis being available previously and I certainly enjoyed mine. Our son had his usual Rice Krispies and cup of tea so he was happy as well. We disembarked just after 8:30am and were directed to coach 20 for our “shore experience” (aka excursion) which included a camel ride, a visit to El Diablo restaurant, the montanas del fuego (fire mountains) and a call at a bodega. My wife and I have not taken an excursion for over 10 years this was the first for our son. As a quick aside I noticed that the TV still has a “Shore Excursion” channel so the new marketing is not exactly all joined up yet.

After a 25-minute ride we arrived at the first stop where there were dozens of camels patiently waiting with their handlers. We were given detailed instructions how to get on, side by side in twos, and as we are a family of 3, I got to share with another dad (Mike) from another family of 3. The handlers evened up the weight distribution on the camel seats with bags of volcanic gravel. We then had a slow 25-minute ride part of the way up a mountain in a camel train. Going up was a bit wobbly and I thought coming back down was slightly scarier. It was extremely windy but when the camels stopped for a photo break everything felt quiet, calm and peaceful. For an old traditional looking herdsman our camel guide certainly was in tune with technology as he took everyone’s cameras and various phones and then took multiple pictures with each gadget. The camel behind kept nudging my back and one time when we stopped it felt like she was resting her head on my shoulder. My son was very keen to do the camel ride as was my wife, myself less so. I’m glad that I had the experience but wouldn’t be that interested in doing it again.

After the camel ride we were back on the coach to be driven up to the El Diablo restaurant atop another mountain. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and although they can sometimes talk too much in transit, I thought he got the balance right and came out with a lot of interesting information. When we reached the top of the mountain my wife was feeling ill again so we left her on the coach while my son and I enjoyed the various demonstrations including hot gravel, a fire pit and some blow holes where they pour cold water in then it shoots back out as steam. They then took us to a wishing well shaped gas outlet in the restaurant which they originally built when they noticed that the building was getting too hot from all the subterranean gases and associated heat. They then realised that they could use it as a barbecue and as we were there what I would call spatchcock chicken and potatoes were being gently grilled. It all smelt delicious.

We went back to the coach and my wife was clearly not fit to continue so I walked back to a taxi that was parked up. He was already booked but kindly radioed in for another car for us. We then had a 20-minute wait which coincided with the refreshments break for our fellow passengers. Just as the tour guide was saying it was time to go and they would have to leave us our taxi arrived so we abandoned the tour at that point and got in the taxi. The driver didn’t speak much English but understood “Puerto, Arrecife” and we drove off through the volcanic landscape which was spectacular. As we got to Arrecife we came off the bypass and started heading into the city itself. I tried again with my broken Spanish trying desperately to remember the right vocabulary and did manage “embarcar el crucero” (roughly speaking “to get on the cruise ship”). He slowly said that he understood but that there were 2 ports in Arrecife and didn’t know which one the ship was docked at. We drove near to the promenade in Arrecife then flagged down another taxi who said that we needed to go to Los Marmoles which I am pretty certain I will never forget. To make matters worse there was a triathlon on which meant road closures so we then had an interesting ride through various back streets and alleys before getting back on the bypass then on to the quayside. We eventually got back on the ship and my wallet was €55 lighter. Ouch!

Anyone reading this could easily think that we are some kind of calamity couple, what with me misplacing my card yesterday and now this, and to be fair I’ve never known such an eventful cruise as this. However, we are very pragmatic, things happen and we just get on with it with no need for any dramas. Back in the cabin my wife went to bed and my son commandeered the floor space in front of the sofa to play. I was therefore banished to the balcony where it was blowing a gale (windy season in Lanzarote as advised by the tour guide). I didn’t last long and came back inside to find my son laid in our bed watching a film on TV and my wife fast asleep. I decided to go get us all some lunch around 2:30pm, my hope being that this would be a quiet time before afternoon tea starts at 3pm. Wrong again and I was soon being tailgated in a queue with a tray prodding in my back. Grrrr! I had a real mix of items on the tray and a waiter helped me get additional cutlery. He looked at my tray and I told him that I had the task of fetching food for everyone. He smiled knowingly then ensured I had a safe passage exiting the food station area. What a gentleman.

Once we’d finished our lunch, I insisted on going back up 5 floors to return the tray and plates etc. I know that I could have just left it in the cabin but don’t think that’s fair on our lovely stewardess especially as we left our room service breakfast remains in the cabin this morning. After dropping off the tray I decided to reward myself with a large glass of Pinot Grigio, I did miss the bodega part of this morning’s excursion after all.

Our cabin has 2 TV’s so I watched a bit of the football while my wife and son watched “Back To The Future”. We headed out to dinner as usual and though it didn’t seem too busy the restaurant manager said that our table would be ready shortly and gave us a pager. We hadn’t asked for any table in particular but he had remembered us and had allocated us table 7 with the waiters that we had got used to on table 8. We only waited a few minutes before the pager buzzed and we were then ushered straight into the restaurant.

Not long after we sat down my wife started feeling ill again and decided to go back to the cabin. Our main waiter was very concerned and asked if it was sea sickness as it was still very windy with some biggish swells and the ship was moving a little. I assured him that it wasn’t that and if anyone was going to get seasick it would be me (though it is now 8 years and counting since it last happened, touch wood). Our son had French fries followed by pasta again, and I had roast beef and Yorkshire pudding which was great as usual. I skipped dessert (would have been Tiramasu for me) to return to our cabin and left our son with his grandparents.

Back in the cabin my wife was a bit better and we ordered a club sandwich via room service at a cost of £4.70. This arrived about 30 minutes later and it came with a large portion of hot, freshly cooked French fries. She ate a little and I “had to” help her out with the fries while we sat on the bed and watched “The Day After Tomorrow” on TV. Our son was escorted back to the cabin by grandad about 10pm. We asked where he’d been and he said the bar with the red seats (The Tamarind Club) and that band was playing again (The Waves). I asked if it was good and he said “They were okay….” He put a film on TV in his side of the cabin and we turned the lights off on our side then started dozing off. Around 10:30pm we told him to switch off then he had the usual 10 minutes or so faffing around getting comfortable.

IMG_0911.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

You are certainly having an eventful cruise!  Hope your wife is feeling 100% again now.

Thanks Andrew, she is much better today (just in time for the Caribbean Tier lunch)! 😉🍷🍷🍷🍷

• Like 1

I love those lunches I usually start off with I’m not talking about previous cruises but there’s always one that can’t help themselves.

your diary of your cruise has been superb and very comical at times.

a complete breath of fresh air.