Please share your Disney cruise secrets !!!

Ziggy7

Laundry service does include simply pressing items. To me it's worth the cost (it is extra) because it just saves so much of the packing headache. Get to know your stateroom host/hostess....they'll take care of you...just be sure to show your appreciation in your tip to them.

On tips...you have the option of charging them to your room or just giving them cash...we went the cash route. It saved the time of waiting at Guest Services. When you pack just put anticipated tips into four envelopes and mark them then you can add to it if you feel it's warranted and put the total into the DCL envelopes and pass them out the last night of the cruise.

AWESOME IDEA, cjilkim: I love your ideas with the tips. I opted when I did our first dcl cruise to WAIT in the guest services line and pay for it there on my cc and then put the little slips in the designated envelopes. What I am reading on these boards is TIP them EARLY, when you FIRST arrive..tell them there will be a little extra at the END of the trip as well. Also, YES, I WILL GLADLY PAY FOR IRONING. I went through like 5 diff outfits (to find something NOT wrinkled) for Saturday night's dinner as so much was wrinkled from all our traveling and the line for the iron was CRAZYYY!! I am getting my act "so together" for our next cruise by all the knowledge I am gaining by reading these Boards. My DH is like "are you on those Boards again" and I am like "well would like me reading all these Boards 24/7 or SHOPPING ONLINE 24/7".....hhhmmm...he picked the BOARDS..hahaha!!! Our first cruise was Feb 2006 and our next cruise is Feb 2007. I am constantly writing notes and keeping a journal. I guess that does seem a little obsessive....but I was a Girl Scout YEARS AGO and both my boys are EAGLE Scouts and our motto is BE PREPARED....hahaha!!!:D :D

AWESOME IDEA, cjilkim: I love your ideas with the tips. I opted when I did our first dcl cruise to WAIT in the guest services line and pay for it there on my cc and then put the little slips in the designated envelopes. What I am reading on these boards is TIP them EARLY, when you FIRST arrive..tell them there will be a little extra at the END of the trip as well. Also, YES, I WILL GLADLY PAY FOR IRONING. I went through like 5 diff outfits (to find something NOT wrinkled) for Saturday night's dinner as so much was wrinkled from all our traveling and the line for the iron was CRAZYYY!! I am getting my act "so together" for our next cruise by all the knowledge I am gaining by reading these Boards. My DH is like "are you on those Boards again" and I am like "well would like me reading all these Boards 24/7 or SHOPPING ONLINE 24/7".....hhhmmm...he picked the BOARDS..hahaha!!! Our first cruise was Feb 2006 and our next cruise is Feb 2007. I am constantly writing notes and keeping a journal. I guess that does seem a little obsessive....but I was a Girl Scout YEARS AGO and both my boys are EAGLE Scouts and our motto is BE PREPARED....hahaha!!!:D :D

I'm glad I could help. Have you checked out the DIS? You might be able to meet up with more people that are on your cruise plus it's always full of new Disney news and cruising info. That's usually where I hang out but thought I'd check out this site too and get some other people's insights.

momrek06, how was the 4 night cruise? :confused: I did the 7 night and that's what we're doing again. After doing the 7...I'm not sure 4 would be enough for me!:D

Hey cjilkim: We did the Wonder and it was our first cruise ever and since we had never sailed before and I have allot of motion sickness issues we decided to take "baby steps" to cruising. Well we LOVED it and I had NO issues at all during the cruise, NONE. So while we were on the Wonder (Feb 2006) we re-booked a 7 day Eastern Caribbean on the Magic for Feb 2007. The only disappointment was that it was NOT long enough. We unpacked, did everything imaginable and before you know it we are packing up. So the 7 day will be AWESOME!!!:p

Oh yes, I have "FOUND" the Dis Boards and love them as well. Have learned so much from all you seasoned cruisers. :D

Hey cjilkim: We did the Wonder and it was our first cruise ever and since we had never sailed before and I have allot of motion sickness issues we decided to take "baby steps" to cruising. Well we LOVED it and I had NO issues at all during the cruise, NONE. So while we were on the Wonder (Feb 2006) we re-booked a 7 day Eastern Caribbean on the Magic for Feb 2007. The only disappointment was that it was NOT long enough. We unpacked, did everything imaginable and before you know it we are packing up. So the 7 day will be AWESOME!!!:p

Oh yes, I have "FOUND" the Dis Boards and love them as well. Have learned so much from all you seasoned cruisers. :D

We enjoyed the 7nt. Western. It was Key West, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya (Cozumel was down due to the hurricane) and then Castaway Cay. This year's is the "Double Dip" so we'll get 2 days at Castaway Cay and then Costa Maya and Cozumel (if it's ready). I'll keep you posted on how the western itineraries go if you'll keep me posted on the eastern. I liked posting "Live" from the ship so I'll try to do it again this round.

We're getting married (2nd marriage for both) in March 2007 and are starting basic plans for a honeymoon cruise in the Fall of '07. Looking at Hawaii but fell in love with Disney so we're thinking of going that way with maybe the eastern itinerary. I'll look forward to hearing your reports.

Bring a plain white pillow case (or t-shirt, hat, whatever -- just with no logo) and a laundry marker, all in a big ziploc bag. Drop it off at the guest services desk with your child's name, and they will get all the major characters to sign it for you, no charge at all. Great souvenir to take home. :)

-gina-

This is fantastic! I didn't know this when we did it last time. I'm going to have to remember when we go again because we'll have our first by then and my niece and nephew would love that.

If you like Ice cold drinks in your room, the first time you see your cabin attendant, ask for a cooler. Out attendant provided us with a IGLOO cooler and kept it filled with ice, for 7 days. The fridge in your room is nice , but not ice cold. Palo secret! Chocalate soufle! When you arrive @ dinner, ask to speak to the table captain. Tell them you'd like the chocalate soufle from Palo's, slip them a cash tip, and enjoy. The chocalate soufle from Palo's is the Best Desert on Board, if you enjoy Chocalate. Dinner, if you'd like seconds, ask for them, or even two different dinners. Read your Navigator every morning at the resturant, not buffet during breakfast! Metrowon:)

Kids:

Kids in the younger-group (was it something like 5-7?) will love the secret tunnel that connects their kids' club to the older group's.

The older kids' program (was it like 8-12?) isn't as good as the younger group, but they're strong on sports.

Cabins:

The navigator balconies are really cool -- more like an outdoor room than an actual balcony.

There's a secret deck out behind decks 7 and 8.

Castaway Cay is absolutley the best private island, and it's the best day of the cruise. If we do Disney again, we'll probably do a 3 & 4 day back to back so we'll get two days at Castaway Cay.

You can go to a Business supply store ( Staples, here in Canada) and you can buy coloured permanent markers. I bought Sharpies, I think thye are made by BIC. Anyhow, they come in a package of several colours and they look great on the back of the Tshirt when the characters use different colours. My tip would be, put your empty suitcases under the bed ( you just lift the bed a little to get them under) and then you have more closet space. And also bring a folder to keep all your navigators tidy and easy to find. Of course- also take a highlighter for your navigator. pj

Kids:

Kids in the younger-group (was it something like 5-7?) will love the secret tunnel that connects their kids' club to the older group's.

The older kids' program (was it like 8-12?) isn't as good as the younger group, but they're strong on sports.

Cabins:

The navigator balconies are really cool -- more like an outdoor room than an actual balcony.

There's a secret deck out behind decks 7 and 8.

Castaway Cay is absolutley the best private island, and it's the best day of the cruise. If we do Disney again, we'll probably do a 3 & 4 day back to back so we'll get two days at Castaway Cay.

Okay...secret tunnel for the kids...didn't know that but am just starting the "kids" research for this fall since last winter was just us adults.

We were going to book the Cat 7 Navigator for our 2007 honeymoon but ended up getting one of the Secret Verandah Cat 7 Rooms instead so I'm pretty excited about that. Just learned about the secret decks too so I know I'll be checking them out this Fall and next year....

We're on the 7 nt. Double Dip this fall so we'll get two days at Castaway Cay....can't wait for that either...it's fabulous!

Cost savings:

If you enjoy wine, you may bring it on board. There is a refridgerator in your room. We brought a case of wine for 4 adults. We just asked for glasses in our room and a bucket of ice. We then proceeded to dinner with our own glass of wine or enjoyed a glass on our deck before dinner. yes you CAN bring alcohol on board to "enjoy" in your room - but we found no problem bringing it to dinner.

If you are going to cozumel and want to do the dolphin tour, book it yourself. You can get the most expensive visit with the dolphins, at the same price as if you book the "mid-range" visit through disney. We rented a car and toured the island, stopping in the afternoon to ride the dolphins. This was an experience of a lifetime. The top of the line visit is well worth it, the kids ride on the dolphins - it is thrilling to watch and to participate. (As a general rule, do your homework ahead of time to create your own excursions - more fun and more cost effective).

Bring your own blow up tube for castaway Cay.

Do not bother bringing your snorkel stuff to Castaway Cay - they make you rent the life vest in order to use the snorkel area so you really don't save much and it's one more thing to carry off the boat.

Tips:

Bring bathing suits and sunscreen for when you board the boat. You won't see your bags until about 4:30pm when it is time to get ready for dinner.

Book as much as you can online, as far as Palo reservations and spa treatments.

Bring walkie-talkies. The boat is big, and just after your spouse leaves to get your book from the room you realize you forgot sunscreen! It's also a great way to stay in touch with large traveling groups.

Get off the boat early at Castaway Cay especially if you are large group that wants to sit together on the beach. The chairs are at a premium.

The jetskiing on Castaway Cay was very expensive - but MAN WAS IT FUN! That was the highlight of our cruise. Catching air on 3-4 foot swells. Not for everyone but it was for our adventurous group - it was a BLAST!

Time Savers:

Do all of your cruise documentation online before leaving. You then can just waltz right through the process. Do not wait til you get there it makes getting on the ship that much more painful! And you will be anxious to check get on board!

You can also register your kids for their respective Oceaneer Lab group online. It's easy! And made getting in and out of there quick and painless once on board.

We always book our flight through disney. We get off the plane and board the bus... never worrying about our bags. And on the way home, you checkin to your airline right as you get off the ship. It is WELL worth it.

Here's how to ship items to the IDS warehouse who will deliver it to the ship for your DCL cruise:

You can send your packages as early as you want and by any carrier you prefer. All you have to do is pay the shipping costs to get it to the warehouse and they do the rest...free.

Address the packages to:

Disney Cruise Lines

9001 Marlin Street

Cape Canaveral, FL 32920

At the bottom left corner of the package put the following information:

ATTN: HOUSEKEEPING

STATEROOM #: (GTY if you don't know your # when you mail package)

PASSENGER NAME: (Name of passenger on reservation)

VESSEL: MAGIC or WONDER

DATE of SAIL:

NUMBER of BOX: (1 of 3, 2 of 3, and so forth)

The boxes will magically appear in your stateroom before you arrive, or soon after.

Kelly at the IDS warehouse was very helpful.

One thing I found was that alcoholic beverages cannot be shipped legally to Florida from all states....

I shipped five huge boxes of stuff, others on the cruise sent as many...No problems...very professionally done.

I'm so glad you listed this. I, too, was told they no longer allow this. I have 2 kids and my son will be 9 when we cruise. While he appears "typical", he has a few issues being able to send things ahead would be so much easier for us. He has to be on a high calorie (but nutrisious) diet as well as high fiber, and he really only eats about 10-15 things really well. He eats lots of peanut butter. (they banned nuts at his school so I have had to stock up at home) and he eats mini wheats everyday. He also drinks chocalte milk now as he needs the calories, and I could send a few of the drink boxes ahead for him to enjoy. I don't want him drinking soda all the time. Also, he has a urological disorder and needs to wear pull-ups most of the time(just in case). I was hoping to not pack those in a suitcase...not all of them anyways.

Thanks for listing this information., for me it is the most valuable of all tips.....well, this and the pillowcase thing.

My mistake... the vests you are not charged for so carry the snorkel gear to Castaway Cay! I was in the water with the snorkel gear with my family when the life guard told us we had to "rent" the vests. That it was required. I assumed incorrectly that when my husband retrieved them that he had to pay for them. I was incorrect. Sorry for the confusion.

We are planning our first family cruise in Jan 07 on the Magic. Taking your advice, I searched for Hotels in the area. Any suggestions?? Both the Radisson ond the Hyatt have been mentioned. We are travelling with two toddlers so the more convenient the better!!! Thanks B

My tip - on your final morning, don't be in such a rush to get off the ship (unless you have a plane to catch) - your cruise/vacation is not over!

Since there isn't any assigned disembarking order, go last! Skip breakfast in the dining room. I go to the Topsider, load up a tray, take it back to our cabin and everyone has breakfast when they're ready. When we leave, we stroll off the ship without any crowds. Excellent way to end the cruise.

Howard

kjnwags - another thing you might check (which we have done) is to check hotels at Orlando airport (assuming you are flying in). You can stay there the night before (after your flight in), all the hotels have free shuttles from the airport. Then on the morning of your cruise, take the hotel shuttle back to the airport and use the Disney bus from the airport to Port Canaveral. If you don't want to rent a car or arrange for a towncar, it works out very well. Then, after, you can also take the Disney bus back to the airport. Lastly, once Disney has your bags, you don't have to deal with them any longer - give it to them at the airport, next time you see them is in your cabin (at least that's how it was last time we went).

For hotels at the airport, one very experienced DCL cruiser here notes she easily finds hotels through Priceline at the airport for $25/night.

Enjoy.

Howard

The day that we were at Nassau, we booked a room at the Comfort Suites and spent the day at the pools at the Atlantis Resort. You walk directly out of the doors of the Comfort Suites and walk across the street into the Atlantis Resort. The pools at the Atlantis are amazing. (Check out their website) - If you are a guest at the Comfort Suites, you get full use of the Atlantis Resort. We paid $200 for the room (which we never even saw), but if we would have booked with Disney, it would have cost us $340 to use the pools there. You must have a braclet to use the pools. $200 was well worth it. A taxi took us directly to the Comfort Suites for $7.00. I'm glad that we decided to do this. The Atlantis was well worth the money!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Great tips, but I don't understand the one about the coffee? Someone said to order it the night before and it will still be hot in the morning when you wake up?

Considering that room service is free, we always leave our room service hanger outside our door in the evening and have our hot coffee delivered in the morning. The knock on the door is our wake up call.

Doesn't this make more sense?

Just wondering.

Oh, also I just read the post regarding the Comfort Suites. Booking at either the Atlantis, of course, or the Comfort Suites or the Ocean Club up the street are the only ways to be able to use the Atlantis pools. The excursion offered through Disney does NOT allow you use of any of the Atlantis pools. I have stayed at Atlantis on several occasions. To even get out to the pool area, you must be wearing a wristband and/or show your id from one of the hotels I've listed above. Security guards are posted everywhere. The cruise people are very obvious. They will show up at the pool with a large bag and wearing shorts and t-shirts. Some even go as far as to bring the ship's towel, making it more obvious. Because there are so many exits, it is possible to bypass the hotel's security. However, to be able to use any of the amazing waterslides, you have to have that bracelet which changes color every single day. There are people who have young kids and are not interested in the waterslides, so they're not concerned about the bracelets. I have been at the hotel when they literally did a sweep, i.e., walked around looking at everyone's wrist and asking people to go get a wristband even if you were not going on the waterslides.

VERY IMPORTANT: All of the waterslides have a height requirement. My daughter was, that's right, ONE INCH below the requirement and was not allowed to get on a waterslide even with me. You should call the hotel for the most current information regarding the height requirement so as not to pay for the privilege only to find out that you can't use the slides.

AND ALSO IMPORTANT: For those of you who have never been to the Atlantis.... It is an extremely large property and considered pricey by some. $12 cheeseburgers with no fries. So be prepared if you're on a budget.

AND FINALLY: If you're going to use the facility for the day, GET THERE EARLY. The chairs fill up. People go down, throw a magazine on a chair and then go to breakfast. The minute the ship disembarks, you should be in the line to go. Grab a cab to get you over the bridge, check in to get your wristband and then go straight for a chair. If you find a chair attendant and all the chairs are full, give him five bucks. Sometimes a chair will magically appear. And make sure you pull a lot of towels. The towel huts are usually empty by 3 pm.

• 2 weeks later...

Tip for Castaway Cayers: If your into messing with fish while you are snorkeling- Bring a couple of ziplock backs with you and when you go to breakfast scoop up a pile of link sausages, bag em and when you get to Castaway Cay, stuff the baggies in you bathing suit and snorkel out towards the submarine wreck.

Release a couple of pieces of sausage as you swim back towards the beach and stop at one of those sand piles where you can stand in about waist deep water get a few sausage out and get ready to be engulfed.

A school of resident yellowtail snappers will surround you begging for sausage they dont have much for teeth so you can feed them by hand and they wont really bite you. The yellowtails are from 6 inches long up to about 4 pounds they are really aggresive but harmless and they are gorgeous. You will never forget the experience. Be a little careful of other fish gray or mangrove snappers they have teeth and may bite you accidently in the frenzy....and believe me there will be a frenzy(Dont skimp with the sausages bring at least a couple of dozen. Have tried other stuff but they like sausages the most.

Have a blast!!!:D

Archived