Delta Airlines leaving SIngapore and Narita Tokyo

cruisinsusin

Heads up to all who may be booked on Delta from Singapore Changi airport or Narita Tokyo airport- after sometime in mid to late Sept.2019, Delta will no longer fly to Singapore and, after sometime in late March 2020, will use a different airport in Japan.  It would be good to check on the status of any current bookings you may have that depart after those time frames and investigate partner airline availability. .

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JerryinBWB said:

I checked my flights for April 2020; no changes.

That's the problem- they have made the decision to leave but have not yet addressed the flights already booked. here is the link to one announcement:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-to-leave-tokyo-narita-for-haneda-axes-singapore-flights/

When we called about our flight, the phone rep had to check and confirmed that this is occurring.

I am not sure how they are handling the flight changes for Tokyo - that doesn't affect us. However, the flights from Singapore are being cancelled and those with bookings on the Delta marketed flight will ultimately have to be moved to a different airline with different itinerary/flight times and probably different equipment/seating  (and may not have the fare class available that was initially booked- that happened with our flight). 

I just made reservations on Delta last Friday. It still has our nonstop flight to Tokyo arriving at NRT. That will probably change. On the way home from Singapore we fly to Seoul on Korean Air and then nonstop from there to Atlanta. Yes, a long time to get home. But, I was able to limit connections. Hopefully all goes as planned.

Delta changed us to Korean Air from ATL to Seoul and on to Singapore next April.  We are returning from Shanghai in May, no change needed there.  Our flights get us in to Singapore five minutes later than our original reservations and we have flown Korean Air before and found them to be just fine.  So we seem to be OK with the change.  Special thanks to cruisinsusin for the heads up on this.  Better to be ahead of these things than trying to catch up later.

1 hour ago, JerryinBWB said:

Special thanks to cruisinsusin for the heads up on this.  Better to be ahead of these things than trying to catch up later.

Welcome! It is always better to have your choice of the replacements rather than what's leftover😉

Also, good to hear that Korean air was fine as that's what we were changed to also.

We were to fly SIN->NRT->SEA on December 22, and our itinerary still showed up on the Delta site as of this afternoon. They never contacted us. But the SIN->NRT flight is really canceled. I called them and they managed to move us to Korean Air SIN->ICN, and then Delta ICN->SEA. Note that we had Delta One suites but the Korean Air leg is Prestige (business class) not Korean's suites. Also, our travel time is now about 7 hours longer, but we're spending so much time in ICN that we should be able to see a little bit of Seoul while there.

13 minutes ago, ceemacon said:

We were to fly SIN->NRT->SEA on December 22, and our itinerary still showed up on the Delta site as of this afternoon. They never contacted us. But the SIN->NRT flight is really canceled. I called them and they managed to move us to Korean Air SIN->ICN, and then Delta ICN->SEA. Note that we had Delta One suites but the Korean Air leg is Prestige (business class) not Korean's suites. Also, our travel time is now about 7 hours longer, but we're spending so much time in ICN that we should be able to see a little bit of Seoul while there.

I'm glad you were able to get this addressed. They had not notified us of the cancellation of our flight ether ( and it also looked unchanged on our record). That's why I wanted to post and hopefully spare others from unpleasant surprises down the road.

On 8/4/2019 at 1:45 PM, cruisinsusin said:

Heads up to all who may be booked on Delta from Singapore Changi airport or Narita Tokyo airport- after sometime in mid to late Sept.2019, Delta will no longer fly to Singapore and, after sometime in late March 2020, will use a different airport in Japan.  It would be good to check on the status of any current bookings you may have that depart after those time frames and investigate partner airline availability. .

If Delta is changing airports in Tokyo, that would mean they are going to fly in and out of Haneda which is actually closer to downtown Tokyo.  Although some transfer logistics will change for those with tickets already purchased this probably isn't any big deal for most.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard this several months ago.   I try to fly only Delta for the miles.  We will be flying on all Delta flights going to Rome in November and are booked on Korean airlines from Singapore to Seoul for our return flight.  Then Delta from Seoul to Detroit and the last leg home.   I check often for a lower price BUT now I don't see our return flights listed at all with EZAir.  And am wondering if I should switch to American on our return home.  It will cost more but it may save a lot of frustration.   I am planning to call Princess today but don't have much confidence with them.   We heard here that our Pacific Princess cruise Tahiti to FLL was canceled and many of us called Princess and for 5 days we all got different stores - none of which were that it was canceled.   And it was canceled.   So I more accurate information here. 

We have flown to SE numerous times.  If you have been re-routed on Korean Airlines you are fortunate.   Last winter we flew them one way to Bangkok.  We very much preferred them to other airlines that we have flown on the SE Asia-Delta, United/ANA, AC/ANA.  If we make the trip this year our preference will be either Korean or EVA.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 7:55 AM, compozer said:

I heard this several months ago.   I try to fly only Delta for the miles.  We will be flying on all Delta flights going to Rome in November and are booked on Korean airlines from Singapore to Seoul for our return flight.  Then Delta from Seoul to Detroit and the last leg home.   I check often for a lower price BUT now I don't see our return flights listed at all with EZAir.  And am wondering if I should switch to American on our return home.  It will cost more but it may save a lot of frustration.   I am planning to call Princess today but don't have much confidence with them.   We heard here that our Pacific Princess cruise Tahiti to FLL was canceled and many of us called Princess and for 5 days we all got different stores - none of which were that it was canceled.   And it was canceled.   So I more accurate information here. 

No reason for you to switch to AA on your flight home.  Korean Air earns you Delta miles and they do a non stop from Seoul to Detroit.  Also, you can fly with 1 stop from Seoul to Detroit with DL if you prefer to fly DL metal.  I dont use EZAir, but google flights is good to use.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 9:55 AM, compozer said:

Have you called Delta directly to see if the flight on which you are currently booked is still going to operate on the date that you are returning home? If they have moved you to a "real" Korean Air flight, you would be fine, but if the flight is one of those that is canceled, then it would need to be addressed either with EZAir or Delta directly or possibly with a three way call with EZ Air and Delta and you.

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to address Delta in Tokyo.  Next year (around the end of March) Delta will be ceasing all flights to Tokyo's Narita Airport.  Instead, they will be using Haneda.  For most folks who are familiar with the Tokyo area, the change to Haneda is a very good thing.  Haneda is much closer to Tokyo (about 11 miles vs 35 miles to Narita) and its a actually reasonable to use a taxi from Haneda into Tokyo.  I should add that for those cruising out of (or into) the port at Yokohama.....Haneda Airport is much more convenient.

Hank

On 8/4/2019 at 1:45 PM, cruisinsusin said:

Delta will just be flying out of Haneda, so I would imagine for that leg, the only thing that would change is the airport.  There are lots of flight options from Haneda to the US; we just recently booked flights and there were lots of good options.