Specialty vs Blu

charlielinda

We always enjoy the Specialty restaurants and I bought a 7 night package for our 13 day Transatlantic.  We just moved to Blu so was thinking I should cut back on specialty for this cruise ... we’ve never been to Blu.  We especially like the personalized service in the specialty.  Thoughts.  

We just upgraded from a Concierge room to an Aqua room (for a refund of $1300!) -- Since we haven't done Blu before, we've scaled back our dining package from 8 to 5 nights. We still love Murano, but want to be able to give Blu a good try. You could split the difference and cut back a few nights.

37 minutes ago, charlielinda said:

We always enjoy the Specialty restaurants and I bought a 7 night package for our 13 day Transatlantic.  We just moved to Blu so was thinking I should cut back on specialty for this cruise ... we’ve never been to Blu.  We especially like the personalized service in the specialty.  Thoughts.  

There is a difference in the quality of service and food between most specialty restaurants and Blu.  Blu will be more crowded and service will be very good.  Food comes out hot and freshly prepared but in my opinion, does not even come close to Murano.  Murano and Tuscan Grill offer a relaxed dining experience.  

We prefer Blu over Tuscan.  If we are on a M Class ship with only Tuscan and LPC/Qsine we forego the specialty’s.  On a S Class we will go to Murano once or twice. With the increase in the price of speciality dining the 3 night package averages  $43 per meal  so no great bargain.  

With BLU, a 4 night package  if offered should be enough! Breaks things up a bit and for nights when BLU menu does not appeal. 

We always do the buffet a few times...just too much food after awhile for complete dinners!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

On longer cruises  the unchanging menus in Murano and Tuscan would get old.  Personally we don’t care for Tuscan except for the filet and have found service to be very hit or miss.   We have done LPC and once and would not repeat it.  

We enjoy the smaller, not so hectic Blu dining room and find the food to be a step above the MDR.

• Haha 1

Having done Blu twice, what really surprised me was the very lackluster menu on the first night!  I’m assuming this is fleet wide.  I’d suggest a specialty restaurant the first night.  We went to the MDR as we love the prime rib, spring roll, mushroom soup and cherry brandy ice cream on the first night’s menu.

Last 2 cruises in Blu we had different menus on the 1st night.  On 1 the menu with Short Ribs (my favorite) was night 1.  On another  ship 2 months later the menu with 

Pan Seared Filet was the first night.  There are 14 menus so when a cruise  is less than 14 days some menus are omitted and the order can change from sailing to sailing.

No Prime Rib in BLU...we go to MDR first night if available.

BLU used to have the filet 1st night but no guarantees,

We are leaving BLU for a few cruises...to try 4 mdr concept on EDGE and APEX with  Sunset Veranda cabins.  Also  due to pricing on Summit. 

Eventually expect to to return to BLU  when prices come down for AQ Class,..esp M and S Class. Hope OP enjoys BLU!

We did Blu on a 15 night TA last November. We bought specialty dining onboard with a good discount.

Two for one for LPC and a three meal package - 2 dinners, one lunch. We did the lunch in Tuscan and dinners in LPC, Lawn Club (we were on Silhouette) and Murano. That plus Blu was just about right.

I think Blu for 13 nights you will hit a clunker and all the dining room food on Celebrity is very veggie light, and that gets old over 2 weeks. There are always vegetarian options, but those are pasta heavy, and not the same as larger portions of varied vegetables and smaller portions of meats.

Just my thoughts after a 15 night stretch, I would plan on at least one or two specialty restaurants, and consider OVC or room service for one night.

We love Blu not that the food and service is any better or worse than the main dining room but the atmosphere of blu. Yes the tables are tight but the room is small and so much quieter than the loud MDR. I love not having to make a reservation and can go when we want. The specialty dinning you need to set a time for dining.