Door decoration ban

drvmywifecrzy

I am thinking that it is not all the fleet.  Last Christmas we had an outside christmas door decoration for our grand daughter and so did many others for the festive season.  We have also on different cruises put up on our door, a Cruise critic greeting name card and cruise critic name. It was very helpful to identifying our cabin, especially hubbie coming in late at night. 

2 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

lol, c'mon tell us what it really said

Wasn’t worth repeating as it wasn’t funny and I would imagine quite hurtful to whomever was in that cabin!

1 hour ago, Sauer-kraut said:

probably was wearing a ball cap backwards in a dining room......🙄

LOL!

1 hour ago, Sauer-kraut said:

probably was wearing a ball cap backwards in a dining room......🙄

Ugh - - -

Egad - - -

On my first cruise ever on the Princess "Golden Princess"  seated in the MDR and the

Maitre d comes over and whispers in my ear loud enough that two others at the table

could hear - "HATS ARE NOT WORN IN MY DINING ROOM" - there was not a table

chair or corner I could crawl under into to hide from the embarrassment -

But a Lesson learned about dining protocol on cruise ships.

Maybe could get away with it at a Sport's Bar - O'Sheehan's - Great Outdoors

but never in a ships dining room.

Side note ever see the ship's Captain or any Officers wearing head gear - get the hint !

Getting back to door decorations - so much Kill-Joy for so little cruise fun !

Get a life - no harm - no foul - although I would like to know what is behind

that "RED DOOR" !

1 hour ago, GOTTODOIT said:

I am thinking that it is not all the fleet.  Last Christmas we had an outside christmas door decoration for our grand daughter and so did many others for the festive season.  We have also on different cruises put up on our door, a Cruise critic greeting name card and cruise critic name. It was very helpful to identifying our cabin, especially hubbie coming in late at night. 

They don’t have that warning on this weeks dailies on the Joy.   

They don’t mention anything about it on the day 1 daily 

93270F15-2161-4C18-B663-9261AC89B95D.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Ugh - - -

Egad - - -

On my first cruise ever on the Princess "Golden Princess"  seated in the MDR and the

Maitre d comes over and whispers in my ear loud enough that two others at the table

Side note ever see the ship's Captain or any Officers wearing head gear - get the hint !

that "RED DOOR" !

You had to go on a cruise to learn that a cap is never worn by men while dining?

• Like 8

On 8/4/2019 at 10:54 PM, MJSailors said:

Decorated doors  on a cruiseship remind me of the door decorating contests we had in high school.

Never saw doors decorated in hotels or resorts.

Do not understand the need for such decorations on a ship- IMHO.

I could never understand it either.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, lanceholt said:

I could never understand it either.

Makes for finding your room a little easier.  Especially with a few drinks in ya and the boat a rockin lol 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Ugh - - -

Egad - - -

that "RED DOOR" !

This post should be nominated for an award. I'm not sure which award, but...wow man.

• Like 1

I personally like reading the signs along the hallway.  We always hang signs and never cause any damage to the doors.  It's also an easy way to find your cabin.  It's fun and I've never, ever seen signs falling off and just laying on the floor.  Norwegian has bigger things to address other than fun signs on cabin doors.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2019 at 6:26 PM, drvmywifecrzy said:

So no more door decorations.

What is next to go from NCL?

Mom last cruise we witnessed our neighbor actually ‘painting’ the outside of his stateroom door with black chalkboard paint... he used the in room hairdryer to quickly dry it and then with colorful chalk he wrote ‘happy 53rd birthday Tammy’

the weird thing was it was just him and his wife sailing in the stateroom. His wife’s name was Donna.

on the last morning of the cruise the room steward was repainting the door back to the orig color.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, expectthebest said:

Mom last cruise we witnessed our neighbor actually ‘painting’ the outside of his stateroom door with black chalkboard paint... he used the in room hairdryer to quickly dry it and then with colorful chalk he wrote ‘happy 53rd birthday Tammy’

the weird thing was it was just him and his wife sailing in the stateroom. His wife’s name was Donna.

on the last morning of the cruise the room steward was repainting the door back to the orig color.

well there you have it - the reason for the door decorating ban! seriously that is a stupid thing to do -painting your door!

Edited by C cruise

I don't particularly care for the door decorating thing because I think it's tacky as all get out. But I expect the common reason is that people love showing off or else they would just decorate with these things inside their cabins, not on their doors.

"It helps me find my room" - Amazingly they've created this system where the rooms are numbered, which helps out.

"But I might be drunk and can't see it." - If you're getting so drunk you can't find your room, I'd suggest a Friends with Bill W meeting, because you're verging into major problem territory.

"But it's fun!" - And it would be just as much fun for you if you put it on the other side of your door where you can see it all the time in your cabin. But that's not what you want. You want OTHER people to see it. You exhibitionist you.

"But It's my birthday/anniversary/etc." - Yep that's about a third of the ship, and why people cruise. Congrats! Your door covered in pandas is tacky as hell.

"You're just grumpy and hating on something simple." - And it's pretty simple to leave a door a door. Not a portal to your weird Disney fetish.

"Who's it hurting?" - My eyeballs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, C cruise said:

well there you have it - the reason for the door decorating ban! seriously that is a stupid thing to do -painting your door!

My question is how did the paint make it past security ???    

On Princess, if you let them know, your stateroom is decorated for the special occasion—birthday, anniversary, retirement, etc.  Decorations consists of a sign and balloons, and are left up until you take them down.  No cost.

Added as just a FYI.

D8890754-9847-4C13-B146-C91A31135132.jpeg

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

My question is how did the paint make it past security ???    

The guy said he was allowed to bring the small can of paint on because he told the officer checking that he was a ‘diabetic’ and needed it with him.

when people mention a medical condition NCL tends to side with the passenger... so that is how he brought it on board...

plus us he had a small paint brush.. the guy did a very good job painting without major streaks and said he covered it in one coat instead of two.

we would watch him every morning writing little messages... he was one of the nicest passengers gets we ever had as neighbors.. he also would leave (2) werthers originals outside our door before bed.

I wonder how many people on this thread have ever been to the safety briefing and really listened to what was being said.

A fire at sea is not funny. A bunch of frantic guests running up and down the stairwells because they "thought it would never happen" and worse, because they were too busy looking at their phone during the safety briefing is even more pathetic.

And then there are those who question whether or not this is a safety issue but rather something designed to ruin their cruise.  Nobody wants to listen to only your half of a phone conversation much less know your birthday or whatever else you usually plaster all over social media because you "think" it is interesting.  Believe me, it isn't.

• Like 3

Just now, Bootman4U said:

I wonder how many people on this thread have ever been to the safety briefing and really listened to what was being said.

A fire at sea is not funny. A bunch of frantic guests running up and down the stairwells because they "thought it would never happen" and worse, because they were too busy looking at their phone during the safety briefing is even more pathetic.

And then there are those who question whether or not this is a safety issue but rather something designed to ruin their cruise.  Nobody wants to listen to only your half of a phone conversation much less know your birthday or whatever else you usually plaster all over social media because you "think" it is interesting.  Believe me, it isn't.

Tell me how a magnet is a fire Hazzard? And I could almost bet soon NCL will be selling NCL approved door decorations

• Like 2