Door decoration ban

drvmywifecrzy

1 hour ago, Paelos said:

I don't particularly care for the door decorating thing because I think it's tacky as all get out. But I expect the common reason is that people love showing off or else they would just decorate with these things inside their cabins, not on their doors.

"It helps me find my room" - Amazingly they've created this system where the rooms are numbered, which helps out.

"But I might be drunk and can't see it." - If you're getting so drunk you can't find your room, I'd suggest a Friends with Bill W meeting, because you're verging into major problem territory.

"But it's fun!" - And it would be just as much fun for you if you put it on the other side of your door where you can see it all the time in your cabin. But that's not what you want. You want OTHER people to see it. You exhibitionist you.

"But It's my birthday/anniversary/etc." - Yep that's about a third of the ship, and why people cruise. Congrats! Your door covered in pandas is tacky as hell.

"You're just grumpy and hating on something simple." - And it's pretty simple to leave a door a door. Not a portal to your weird Disney fetish.

"Who's it hurting?" - My eyeballs.

You forgot to tell people to stay off your lawn. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I figured while I'm at sea I don't have to worry as much about lawn issues.

That being said, is my disdain for door decorations a grumpy old man problem? Absolutely, I have no shame admitting that I find other people's certain behaviors on cruises to be incredibly tacky. You're on vacation with 1000s of other people, not a private yacht.

Will door decorations ruin my cruise? No.

Will they make me roll my eyes and wonder why anybody would think that I need to know as a passer-by that you love Shrek so much you threw a bunch of punny signs on your cabin door? I think we as a society will make due to if you just wear a funny T-Shirt instead of vomiting cartoons on your door.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Bootman4U said:

I wonder how many people on this thread have ever been to the safety briefing and really listened to what was being said.

Certainly have, and not a single one has ever mentioned door decorations, so I’m struggling to see the relevance.

They tell you about the risk on fire, and also tell you things that you shouldn’t do due to the risk of fire, but no mention of door decorations at all.

If NCL ever tell me not to put anything on the door then I certainly won’t do it, but until that day I will actually follow the instructions given at the muster drill and elsewhere.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 3

I just wonder if having door decorations could lead to a stalker-type situation, especially when traveling with teenagers.  Your door is easily identifiable!  Yes, you can find your cabin easier, but so can anyone else.  I would think that this would be a HUGE safety issue!  JS.......

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paelos said:

I don't particularly care for the door decorating thing because I think it's tacky as all get out. But I expect the common reason is that people love showing off or else they would just decorate with these things inside their cabins, not on their doors.

"It helps me find my room" - Amazingly they've created this system where the rooms are numbered, which helps out.

"But I might be drunk and can't see it." - If you're getting so drunk you can't find your room, I'd suggest a Friends with Bill W meeting, because you're verging into major problem territory.

"But it's fun!" - And it would be just as much fun for you if you put it on the other side of your door where you can see it all the time in your cabin. But that's not what you want. You want OTHER people to see it. You exhibitionist you.

"But It's my birthday/anniversary/etc." - Yep that's about a third of the ship, and why people cruise. Congrats! Your door covered in pandas is tacky as hell.

"You're just grumpy and hating on something simple." - And it's pretty simple to leave a door a door. Not a portal to your weird Disney fetish.

"Who's it hurting?" - My eyeballs.

Hmmm.  I guess you never decorate the outside of your house for a holiday?  Nary a Christmas or Hannukah door decoration?  Nothing for Halloween?  Nothing for Easter or Passover?  Jeesh-how boring.  Anyway, for you probably  a cruise cabin is a hotel room for your brief vacation.  For others, it may be their home away from home.  Spending 6 to 8 weeks or more on a ship, our cabin becomes our home, and we treat it like that.  So I decorate.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Certainly have, and not a single one has ever mentioned door decorations, so I’m struggling to see the relevance.

They tell you about the risk on fire, and also tell you things that you shouldn’t do due to the risk of fire, but no mention of door decorations at all.

If NCL ever tell me not to put anything on the door then I certainly won’t do it, but until that day I will actually follow the instructions given at the muster drill and elsewhere.

You mean like on the daily newsletters that have been posted here?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paelos said:

I figured while I'm at sea I don't have to worry as much about lawn issues.

That being said, is my disdain for door decorations a grumpy old man problem? Absolutely, I have no shame admitting that I find other people's certain behaviors on cruises to be incredibly tacky. You're on vacation with 1000s of other people, not a private yacht.

Will door decorations ruin my cruise? No.

Will they make me roll my eyes and wonder why anybody would think that I need to know as a passer-by that you love Shrek so much you threw a bunch of punny signs on your cabin door? I think we as a society will make due to if you just wear a funny T-Shirt instead of vomiting cartoons on your door.

Celebrity Equinox has a lawn.  

Mainly just messing around with your comments...they do come across as just a bit grumpy.  🙂

6 minutes ago, Birdie And Sue said:

all this controversy and we only saw one newsletter from one ship - what if this isn't really a ban...  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Birdie And Sue said:

I will take my instructions from the captain and staff of the ship I’m on, not social media.

The staff on the ship that I am currently sitting on have confirmed that they have no problem with door decorations, the freestyle dailies of the ship I am currently sitting on state nothing about any ban or other risk, the muster drill made no mention of any issues with them.

Given that they are the ones who make the rules, I think I’ll go with their opinion rather than some random people on Facebook or Cruise Critic.

• Like 5

On 8/4/2019 at 9:59 PM, CruisingNole said:

I know, right? How dare those people have a good time and try to be a little creative. This is a cruise, dammit!

This is one time a Gator and a Nole agree.  The first thing that popped into my head was "Hey you, get off my lawn"

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Nothing to do with door decorations, but speaking of listening to instructions: A couple of years ago, we were on the Getaway in an aft Haven cabin.  I went out on the balcony and was surprised and sad to see that a bird (like a song bird, not a seagull or anything) had perished on the balcony.  Since it had just been drilled into us that it is impermissible, under penalty of jail time  and/or certain death, to throw ANYTHING off the balcony....I called the butler and apologized and asked him what to do.  Not sure what he did with it but he took care of it. Anyway, if we'd not listened to the safety instructions I suspect we would have just tossed the pour creature overboard and not thought a thing about it.

PS.  I have magnets with our names that I always put on our door.  I think it's fun.  If others don't, well....don't look at my door, I guess.

Edited by kfnesq
adding information
  • Like 2

On 8/4/2019 at 5:27 PM, zqvol said:

So when the tidy up your cabin and fold clothes or towels, their tips get reduced? That's what this says. If tips go down because the steward does their job seems like the tipper should not be a cruiser.

Pretty sure the towels belong to them.  The clothes do not.  Stewards have no obligation or right to touch my clothes.  They will be warned if they do.  As for being a cruiser, haha.  I bet I have cruised many times more than you and your suggestion I not cruise anymore means less than zero to me.  In other words,  you don't matter.

On 8/4/2019 at 6:54 PM, kayhil3 said:

I would think I would be a safety hazard in general. Items can end up on the floor and cause a slip or fall to some one. I think its a good call for NCL.

Yeah, because all the dirty dishes, glasses and trays piled up in the hallway aren't a safety hazard.......

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hello...my name is Amy....and...well...I like door decorations.

Not grumpy old men...or young men or women for that matter.

To quote a classic: Hey you, get off of my cloud.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, kfnesq said:

Nothing to do with door decorations, but speaking of listening to instructions: A couple of years ago, we were on the Getaway in an aft Haven cabin.  I went out on the balcony and was surprised and sad to see that a bird (like a song bird, not a seagull or anything) had perished on the balcony.  Since it had just been drilled into us that it is impermissible, under penalty of jail time  and/or certain death, to throw ANYTHING off the balcony....I called the butler and apologized and asked him what to do.  Not sure what he did with it but he took care of it. Anyway, if we'd not listened to the safety instructions I suspect we would have just tossed the pour creature overboard and not thought a thing about it.

PS.  I have magnets with our names that I always put on our door.  I think it's fun.  If others don't, well....don't look at my door, I guess.

I always call my butler for advice too.  If you would have tossed that bird overboard,  I am certain you would have been put off at the next port.  Zero tolerance.........

23 minutes ago, Love my butler said:

Pretty sure the towels belong to them.  The clothes do not.  Stewards have no obligation or right to touch my clothes.  They will be warned if they do.  As for being a cruiser, haha.  I bet I have cruised many times more than you and your suggestion I not cruise anymore means less than zero to me.  In other words,  you don't matter.

Don't touch my stuff..or something like from the movie Stripes...LOL. Warned?  

1 hour ago, Love my butler said:

Just wow...

3 hours ago, Love my butler said:

Yeah, because all the dirty dishes, glasses and trays piled up in the hallway aren't a safety hazard.......

The notion that it is a “safety hazard” is laughable, just like the NCL cheerleaders blindly defending this.

As you said, if room service dishes, bar glasses, etc aren’t a safety hazard, I can’t imagine how door decorations are. What about all the sales crap they shove behind your room number placard? All the flyers, etc. Those “decorations” are somehow safe but passenger decorations aren’t? LOL, give me a break.

• Like 2

Clearly NCL has their reasons. If they told you what it was they’d just get a lot of this sort of argument. Bottom line is it’s their ship, they make the rules. People who choose NCL have to deal with their rules. I guess I just don’t get what the big deal is and why some people expend SO much energy fighting this sort of thing. It’s a cruise. It’s a vacation. Relax and enjoy! And if you don’t like the rules, go elsewhere. Am I wrong on this?? Jeez. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Greenpea2 said:

Clearly NCL has their reasons. If they told you what it was they’d just get a lot of this sort of argument. Bottom line is it’s their ship, they make the rules. People who choose NCL have to deal with their rules. I guess I just don’t get what the big deal is and why some people expend SO much energy fighting this sort of thing. It’s a cruise. It’s a vacation. Relax and enjoy! And if you don’t like the rules, go elsewhere. Am I wrong on this?? Jeez. 

you are right, its not a big deal... BUT some of us spend time and money picking out a decoration that will bring us joy and maybe even the people that just walk past the door... I am not sure this "rule" applies to all ships or even any ship... we only saw it on one persons newsletter - no one else has even confirmed this. 

I apologize if I am repeating someth8ng - I didn’t read the entire thread. I read on another site that a child ingested a magnet from a door decoration and that led to the clamp down. Now why the child was unsupervised is another issue ....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

You forgot to tell people to stay off your lawn. 

Loving all the lawn (and one cloud) references... needed a good laugh after a crappy day!  

Keep 'em coming... grabbing my popcorn!

Edited by lgdesign
  • Like 1