RCCL changes over the years

BubbyI

Been cruising RCCL since the Song of America days, just back from 7 nights on the LOTS, WC run (Coz, GC, Jam). I have noticed many changes over the years, this last time, too many of them and too obvious. First, the staff is for the most part, disconnected from reality. Since the advent of the auto tip, they just dont care as much. Second, the food options, limited at best. Looked all week for turkey breast, could not find anywhere. Dining room service was, OK at best. Waiter, asst waiter, did not engage with us as in the past. First few nights, took way too long to get served. It wasn't until I brought this point up to our concierge, that something did happen. I know each ship and crew have their own personality and vibe, this trip, it was off. If anyone from RCCL reads this, you need to change things on the boats for the better, or you're gonna lose customers like me in the long run. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BubbyI said:

Been cruising RCCL since the Song of America days, just back from 7 nights on the LOTS, WC run (Coz, GC, Jam). I have noticed many changes over the years, this last time, too many of them and too obvious. First, the staff is for the most part, disconnected from reality. Since the advent of the auto tip, they just dont care as much. Second, the food options, limited at best. Looked all week for turkey breast, could not find anywhere. Dining room service was, OK at best. Waiter, asst waiter, did not engage with us as in the past. First few nights, took way too long to get served. It wasn't until I brought this point up to our concierge, that something did happen. I know each ship and crew have their own personality and vibe, this trip, it was off. If anyone from RCCL reads this, you need to change things on the boats for the better, or you're gonna lose customers like me in the long run. 

Welcome to Cruise Criitic

Bummer.  Hopefully this was just one of those "duds".  We sailed L.O.T.S. about a year and a half ago and loved it.  The ship was clean, food was good, and crew and wait staff were some of the best we've had.  (the wait staff in particular were THE best we've had to date)

Overall, we've had excellent service on RCCL since we started sailing 7 years ago.  It's hard for me to imagine expecting much more for the price.  Auto tips have been a part of our trips since the beginning.  RCCL isn't a true $$$ luxury line where impeccable service is more expected, so I keep my expectations in line with the cost of service.

BTW, what's the fascination with turkey breast?   Did you ask any of the staff in the buffet or dining room? 

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher

1 hour ago, BubbyI said:

First, the staff is for the most part, disconnected from reality. Since the advent of the auto tip, they just dont care as much. Second, the food options, limited at best. Looked all week for turkey breast, could not find anywhere. Dining room service was, OK at best. Waiter, asst waiter, did not engage with us as in the past.

"disconnected from reality" - OK whatever that means.   Turkey breast - once a year at Thanksgiving for that dry tasteless stuff is enough:classic_tongue:   "engaged waiters"?  as someone else said - don't need it.

In the days of Song of America there were 4 or 5 ships in the fleet with a combined guest population under 9k.

Now there are 26 ships with a combined population of over 70k.  

Cruising today is much more affordable for the average person. You can not grow a business in this fashion while containing the price of the vacation to keep it affordable for the masses without some changes. That is the nature of the mass cruise market.

The Royal family does include other brands that have smaller fleets and smaller ships that offer an experience that tracks closer to cruising in the early 80s.  Pricing, when adjusted for inflation tracks the experience of old as well.

Sail on Empress.  The service is outstanding and the senior management will stop in the hallways and chat with you.  They may not have turkey breast all day long but perhaps that is better suited to your style of cruising.  We all cruise differently but we have so many ships to choose from.  Choose one that meets your needs.

22 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

"disconnected from reality" - OK whatever that means.   Turkey breast - once a year at Thanksgiving for that dry tasteless stuff is enough:classic_tongue:   "engaged waiters"?  as someone else said - don't need it.

They've had Turkey meal once a week since I started Cruising over 30yrs ago. In WindJammer they carve real Turkeys, should eat it there as always tastes good to me

24 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Don't dis turkey. It's good, cheap protein. You can always slather it with sauce.

• Haha 1

They are definitely not "disconnected from reality" as their reality is a hard work schedule.

Our experience is that most all RC employees are friendly and courteous.  We have found that during their heavier work load time, such as dinner, most of the employees are engaged in doing their task.  We generally wouldn't think to slow them down when they are busy.

I agree with the above post that at this price level the service is in line.

Edited by fred30

There is yummy, moist turkey breast in the Windjammer on Majesty. I made a delicious sandwich on Wednesday.  MMMMM

Service and food have been very very good in the MDR.

And you asked the CONCIERGE to intervene in the MDR with your service there?  This makes you "that person". 😞

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yes.

Have a problem in the dining room?  Talk to your headwaiter.

Does not make a difference to me - let them sort it out internally!

Actually might be a good move to involve somebody from outside to have more leverage!

7 hours ago, BubbyI said:

I have noticed many changes over the years, this last time, too many of them and too obvious. First, the staff is for the most part, disconnected from reality. Since the advent of the auto tip, they just dont care as much. Second, the food options, limited at best. Dining room service was, OK at best. Waiter, asst waiter, did not engage with us as in the past.  

That has not been my experience on any ship including Liberty, which I’ve been on 3 times and doing my first back to back later this year. I’ve not found any staff to be “disconnected from reality” and I very much disagree with the observation they don’t care as much. 

I don’t know which point has more people here upset, my observation that the staff was disconnected from reality, or that I couldn’t get a turkey sandwich. Whatever, each person has their own experience on board. 

• Haha 1

I had the turkey dinner the last night. That was the only bad meal I had all week. It literally was on par with a Marie Callender frozen dinner.   I have to agree with the lack of service in the MDR and room steward. Worst service I had in 30yrs of cruising. The only good thing was that they didn't have time to chat it up.

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Yes.

Have a problem in the dining room?  Talk to your headwaiter.

Well that didn't work for me. Still never received coffee with dessert or refills of drinks. I can understand why the staff was so bad. The fish stinks from the head.