Saguenay Fjords National Park

ddaz

Howdy,

We are renting a car during our stop in Saguenay and planning to drive up to Saguenay Fjords National Park.  Rather than head initially to the visitors center to obtain maps and advice on what to see, I was wondering if anyone has been to this park and what are the highlight attractions that we should plan to see?  I've see a photo of a walking bridge that doesn't look like it is for the faint of heart, but still looking for details on it.  Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

ddaz

GBY

Howdy,

Part of the reason we are looking for cruise critic assistance on Saguenay Fjord National park is this review comment for this park:

The park has a Beluga visitors centre. Don’t expect any English here. With the number of English visitors we saw there was no attempt to accommodate them which was disappointing.All French, no English, same on the trails so polish up on your French before you go (or look at the pictures and guess).

Looking for any recommendation on where to go and what to see during our time in Saguenay.

Thanks

ddaz

GBY

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this helps, and I have not yet been to Québec but then my French is decent so I'd get by but, as Canada is a bilingual country, for the most part things tend to be translated, especially things that are national, as this park/parc is. Here is a link to the website, in English: 

https://www.sepaq.com/pq/sag/index.dot?language_id=1

Hopefully there will be more details to help plan your trip.

Also, I know we have had other posts here from members who have visited so I would do a search for topics previously posted. I know it's here. 

Is it a high bridge or a swing bridge, like with chains? I say go for it. I've done some in China and New Zealand that felt kind of....wobbly or whatever but then, in these places...how could I not. Such views, so much history. Had to. 

Enjoy!! Bon voyage 😉

1 hour ago, Host Bonjour said:

I don't know if this helps, and I have not yet been to Québec but then my French is decent so I'd get by but, as Canada is a bilingual country, for the most part things tend to be translated, especially things that are national, as this park/parc is. Here is a link to the website, in English: 

https://www.sepaq.com/pq/sag/index.dot?language_id=1

Hopefully there will be more details to help plan your trip.

Also, I know we have had other posts here from members who have visited so I would do a search for topics previously posted. I know it's here. 

Is it a high bridge or a swing bridge, like with chains? I say go for it. I've done some in China and New Zealand that felt kind of....wobbly or whatever but then, in these places...how could I not. Such views, so much history. Had to. 

Enjoy!! Bon voyage 😉

Thanks for the link and recommendation to check for previous topics.  The link was helpful --- We are going to try the hike out to the Statue of Notre Dame du Saguenay from the Visitor Centre.

• Like 1

Just a note on “national parks”. In Québec, the term “parc national” can mean either a federal national park, run by Parks Canada, or what in the rest of Canada is called a provincial park, run by the provincial agency Sépaq (Société des établissements de plein air du Québec). While Parks Canada is rigorous in providing all information and services in both official languages in all National Parks across the country, Sépaq is under no such obligation in the Parcs Nationaux under its jurisdiction. Nonetheless many of the services are in fact provided in English as well as in French, but by no means universally. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 12:13 AM, laverendrye said:

Just a note on “national parks”. In Québec, the term “parc national” can mean either a federal national park, run by Parks Canada, or what in the rest of Canada is called a provincial park, run by the provincial agency Sépaq (Société des établissements de plein air du Québec). While Parks Canada is rigorous in providing all information and services in both official languages in all National Parks across the country, Sépaq is under no such obligation in the Parcs Nationaux under its jurisdiction. Nonetheless many of the services are in fact provided in English as well as in French, but by no means universally. 

Thank you so much for explaining the distinction lavender, very helpful and not sure I'd have noticed it despite my French being pretty good - far better reading than speaking as I just get nervous these days as I don't use it as much as I used to 😉

Sounds sort of, though not exactly, like the distinction we have here with State Parks and National Parks (or further, city parks, parks run by foundations and so on) that are more or less run and set up the same way but not entirely. And the United States actually does not have an official language which I don't think a lot of people are aware of, especially probably not you-know-who 🤣 but I think I goofed on a trivia question awhile ago and learned....we just don't. Which kind of makes more sense than anything because most of us all came from somewhere else. 😊 

And I get that things are a little different too, in Quebec. My great grandparents were from Montréal. It's all good. Thanks again!!! 

Howdy,

We just hiked out to the Notre Dame du Saguenay statue.  It was very difficult with all of the steps and climbing, but well worth it.

The trail is easy to follow.  The staff at the visitor centre were excellent and very helpful.  Most of the signs were in both French and English.  I would recommend this hike to anyone fit enough to continuously climb about 1200 steps (with breaks to catch your breath).  The views are amazing.

Hope this reply helps.

ddaz

GBY