Ship bag

I am looking for suggestions on what I need to put in my ship bag that I will carry on and keep with me on embarkment day until the rest of my luggage is delivered to my cabin. So far I have passport/Id, swimsuit and clothes/shoes for steakhouse dinner (just in case bags are late).

In addition, you will need all of your cruise documents (boarding pass, etc), any medical items, electronics, and anything expensive like jewelry.  Basically anything that you don't want to risk having stolen or missing, you should carry on.  Same things you would carry on to an airplane.

50 minutes ago, coevan said:

you can bring soda in a grocery bag, does not need to be in carry on

...or, like many do, literally carry it on in the carton it comes in (that is, unless the port inspectors tear it open like a kid on Christmas and fail to tape it back closed).

52 minutes ago, StolidCruiser said:

...or, like many do, literally carry it on in the carton it comes in (that is, unless the port inspectors tear it open like a kid on Christmas and fail to tape it back closed).

Lol, in-laws has this happen to them. Cardboard box was not just torn open but rather it was destroyed. They ended up carrying the cans in a plastic bag that they had from stopping at Walgreens the night before. 

I had had mine and my wife’s loaded in my roll on bag. Wasn’t even opened to check. It was fun explaining that what happened to them wasn’t the “norm” since it was their first cruise. 

6 hours ago, Bahbert said:

Correct. You cannot put them in checked luggage.

Not necessarily true. I've seen a huge number of cases of soda among checked-in luggage at the pier in Seattle. It depends on the cruise line involved, however, whether soda can be brought onboard. Some allow bottles or cans of soda, some only cans.

Tom

Anything of VALUE should be kept with you...all electronics, any medications, jewelry, and anything you simply MUST have.  I wear my bathing suit under my clothes, so I don't have to find somewhere to change if cabins are not ready.