Hi,  my name is Kathy and I'm a cruisaholic.  And everytime I cruise I, of course, gain weight even though we walk a lot on the ship.  I need some accountability.  Our next cruise is in November on the MSC Meraviglia and I want to lose about 15 lbs. before then.  I started the 21 day fix a week ago.  I like it because it's a common sense plan that I can stick to.  And I'm trying to go to the gym about 3-4 times a week, but I only work out for about half an hour either on the weight machines 30 minute loop, or the treadmill.  I also walk as much as possible during my work day, so I normally get in at least 10,000 steps.  But I'm 61 and it's getting harder and harder to keep the weight off.  What have you done that works?

Edited by CarolinaGirl2010

Welcome @CarolinaGirl2010!  Please join the weekly weigh-in on Thursdays for accountability and encouragement - we also chat throughout the week in those threads.  Most of us share if we have gained/lost/maintained and how much, but generally not our actual weight (but you can if you want).  Some measure by inches rather than pounds - whatever works best for you.

I generally gain on a cruise too despite being active.  Part is water gain from fluid retention, but I also suspect I'm consuming 2-3 times as many calories as at home while burning only slightly more calories.  I might have 2 ciders or 1/2 a bottle of wine per month, but on a cruise it will be that much per day 🍷🍸🥃.  Not to mention the higher calorie breakfasts, occasional brunch or afternoon tea, and three course dinner (plus dessert) - when home might be dessert once a week 😉 - and it's a wonder we don't gain more.

Many of us have success with tracking calories (My Fitness Pal or other apps) as it can be eye opening when you really see how much you are eating.  For the gym you could try adding an incline to the treadmill if time is a factor, or intervals of higher speed bursts.  If you have a time limitation HIIT might be better than the weight machines.  You can use free weights or body weight exercises and get a nice mix of cardio and strength in a short amount of time.  The 7 app has a nice routine and you could repeat it if you want more time.

Thanks.  I'm more interested in being healthy than being an exact weight.  I obviously am not going to weigh what I did when I was younger.    Why does cruise food have to be so good?  lol    And I can be doing great in eliminating the sugar and eating healthy, and then I go on the cruise, and once I get off I cannot get back to my healthy habits again.  But I cannot stop cruising, not going to happen.  

When lost a significant amount of weight and even got within 20# of early college, I realized I would likely look ill if I were that low again.  BMI still considered me heavy (155 on a 5'4 frame), but since it was more lean muscle I was much healthier than 135 in late teens/early 20's.

If there is any truth to sugar being addictive, it's no wonder we fall off the wagon when cruising.  Obviously there is sugar in the desserts and most cocktails, but virtually all the drinks have sugar and many sauces have sugar added too.  Even trying to be careful, the sugar sneaks its way in - and then we crave it more 😞 Portions can be tricky too.  I usually have a small serving of fruit with breakfast.  On our last cruise I thought I wasn't getting much - one slice of each melon - but when I cut it on my plate I was surprised how much there was!  I'm trying to be more mindful and plan to pick pick one dessert splurge per day on our next cruise.  If we dine with others who want dessert I can enjoy a cup of tea to be social but I don't have to order something for myself.

I love cruising too ❤️ Just trying to get my enjoyment from those aspects that don't involve so many calories 😉 

CarolinaGirl --- I think that pacruise804's posts have been spot on!!!  I have spent most of my life being overweight ... the only time I never gained weight was when I was pregnant (go figure!) ... at almost 67 I don't think that will happen again.  I also think that people spend too much time with the BMI calculations especially as one ages!  I want to just be healthy and to enjoy cruising.

I'm finding that the more I cruise the less I gain during the cruise.  We like to walk in the morning ... I don't deny myself food, but I find that I am becoming more satisfied with smaller portions ... and I always have dessert ... but I now have one or two bites and I am full ... DH is wonderful at finishing anything on my plate! :classic_laugh:

Please join us every Thursday when Belle (usually) will start a new thread for everyone who is trying to be healthy .... It is great to have "friends" and we support each other with the ups and downs ... no one judges ....  It really makes a difference!!!  Jan

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.  Even though I'm doing the 21 day fix, which normally works for me, I started counting my calories on MyFitnessPal.  And I was surprised at how many I had.  So I'm tweaking things a bit, and I'm managing to cut down the calories.  I don't think that I was following it the exact way I was supposed to this time.  We'll see how this goes.  I do like the 21 day fix because it's a healthy way of eating and getting the correct portion size.   I just started a journey to grow out my gray hair, and I want to be fit and healthy so I don't feel old.  I'll join you next Thursday to see if the changes helped.  I need to only weigh myself once a week.

On 8/6/2019 at 11:43 AM, pacruise804 said:

If there is any truth to sugar being addictive, it's no wonder we fall off the wagon when cruising. 

That's my downfall.  Then once I get home and I've been eating at fast food places, and on the cruise, I have a hard time getting back to my healthy lifestyle.   Actually, last time I cruised I used the gym and we walked around the promenade deck all the time, I did well.  But then my unhealthy lifestyle creeped back in and I gained after I got home.  This is a pattern that I need to break.