Athens Add On Recommendations

marthaasher

I will be in Athens in May 2020 with a group.  As an add-on after the group departs, I am thinking about a short 3-4 day cruise of the Greek Isles and if possible, Istanbul.  I would prefer to begin and end in Athens as it will make my air travel to and from the US more simple.  I would appreciate any suggestions on what ports to check out and what cruise lines might be best for this short, limited cruise.  Thanks in advance for your input!

We have not done a three or four day cruise. We have done some independent touring in Greece and Turkey plus a fair bit of Greek Island hopping. We are leaving next month for five weeks of exactly this.

If you want to go to Istanbul I would highly recommend that you buy an open jaw ticket.  We have done this several times.  You could make your way up to Rhodes,  Lesbos, etc. then ferry over to Marmaris in Turkey.  Spend a day on the Turkish coast (beautiful)  then fly to Istanbul.  There are of inexpensive flights within Turkey on domestic airlines such as Atlas or Pegasus (we have used both).   Just be aware that not all of them fly into IST....some flights go to the second airport on the Asian side.  Not a biggie, but be aware of it.  Last week we booked some very inexpensive air within Greece.  Looked up the fares on skyscanner.   Aegean/Olympic, Cyprus Air, Sky Express, Blue, etc.

Open jaw flights provide you with so many options.  Last tie we flew into Athens, toured the islands heading south to Crete.  Picked up an inexpensive flight to Paris.  Three days there and then we took our open jaw flight home from Paris.

Three- four days is hardly enough.  IF you want to do this you really need a week.  If you plan to visit any Cyclades Islands count on a day out and a day in, more or less.  That does not leave you much time.   

Lots of ferries, slow and fast.   Just do some googling for greek ferries once you have an idea of where you want to go.

Do some research, get a travel book on Greece or on the Greek Islands.  It will help you narrow it down. Or...just google best greek island to visit.  Use cruisett and absolutely avoid visiting any island if there are large cruise ships in port,

May is PERFECT!

Edited by iancal

Thank you so much for all this good advice.  I do need to do some legwork as I have been overly optimistic on how much territory I can cover!  As an older woman travelling solo, I wonder about personal safety in Turkey.  It sounds as though that has not been an issue for you.

Your 5 week travel sounds wonderful.  Enjoy!

marthaasher......we actually feel safer travelling in Turkey than we do in many parts of the US.  We are in our late 60's.  We first traveled to Turkey in the late eighties/early nineties.

Older woman travelling solo will be fine.  Younger women in their 20's and 30's need to be aware of their surroundings when on public transport.  Istanbul is fascinating.  

One more thing.  Pack LIGHT.  Rolling international size carry on.  If you are touring you on your own you will not regret it.

Edited by iancal

3 hours ago, marthaasher said:

Thank you so much for all this good advice.  I do need to do some legwork as I have been overly optimistic on how much territory I can cover!  As an older woman travelling solo, I wonder about personal safety in Turkey.  It sounds as though that has not been an issue for you.

Your 5 week travel sounds wonderful.  Enjoy!

Just wanted to chime in to say that I am a woman who travels solo and I have felt very safe in Turkey. In fact, due to my interest in ancient sites, Turkey is one of my very favorite countries and I've visited various parts of it numerous times on both land trips and cruises. I'd love to go a gulet cruise down the SW coast one of these days...

I also love the food in Turkey and the warm hospitality of the Turks (well, except for those carpet hustlers in a few places, lol...)

Yes. Be careful. That free glass of apple tea that you accept in the carpet store from the charming man        (because you do not want to offend his hospitality) may be the most expensive free glass of tea you will every drink.  Practice saying this well before you go......'no thank you, no thank  you"

Edited by iancal

Celestyal is a Greek cruise line and its ship Olympia does regular 3 or 4 night round trip cruises from Athens to the islands, mostly including Rhodes, Mykonos, Santorini and Crete. The 4 night cruises often include Kusadasi in Turkey.

Hectic because you get two islands in one day. Their itinerary can be seen here.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ships/Celestyal-Olympia-725