Observations from 1st Day on Silver Spirit Baltic Cruise

Perdidogirl

(I originally posted this on the Silverseas Passengers FB page but have since learned that its purpose is only to share praise and doing anything other than that causes a furore!)

My husband and I are newbies so perhaps things improve as time goes on. That said, here are some observations that might be of use to other new cruisers:

1. It’s very much an Italian way of life here. Asking for our room to be cleaned at 10 am resulted in the cleaning service arriving at 12:45 pm. On the flip side, the complimentary olive oil in the Grill is delicious.

2. After having read online that all we had to do was request items for our minibar and room in advance, we did so a week prior. We made a simple request for peanuts and also mentioned this to our Butler when he came to greet us. Alas, no peanuts have yet materialized 24 hours later.

3. There is a strong ongoing smell of cigarette smoke in the outside deck just outside the 6th floor fitness center, where guests can stretch or do yoga in nice weather. Same smell on the outdoor dining terrace off La Terrazza. Come to find out, these areas are right above the crew’s smoking area on the 5th floor.

4. Given their WiFi plan, you can only use one device at a time unless you want to pay extra. This prevents being able to do 2-step authentication which some websites require for security purposes. I can’t log into my usual sites on my laptop without them wanting to send a confirmation text to my phone (which is not enabled due to the 1 device rule so I can’t get the texts). My cellular roaming doesn’t work while at sea either. Thus, I’m barred from accessing certain websites until I pay for 2 devices or get within cellular range. (I run a small business and need to access certain websites on a daily basis.)

5. WiFi is terrible, worse than on a plane. Be sure to download as much as possible before getting on board. I’m talking movies, e-books, music on Google Play, etc. It is virtually impossible to download anything using the ship’s free WiFi and the WiFi constantly pauses/buffers so it's a challenge to listen to non-downloaded music while working out or watch a show.  (Yes, I know that some people prefer to socialize and look at scenery but I enjoy reading and working out too.)

On the positive side, the staff are very friendly and the embarkation experience was extremely well organized. We arrived at noon like other cruisers advised and that led to a smooth embarkation and nice lunch at La Terrazza in a calm setting.

Unless you are travelling alone, your suite has 2 devices allocated to it (one to each guest), if its important, surely your companion can allow you to use his/her log in on your laptop while you connect with yours on your phone for this process? (Though surely SMS will be a cellular transfer and if so, hardly the Silversea's fault your providers signal doesnt reach the ship?)I'd always be very wary of not being in Airplane mode and with wifi on when at sea.

I agree the ships wifi is generally poor, but expecting to be able to stream movies on the ships free satellite service wifi is stretching things. Have you been on any CL that gives free wifi that you can? I'd be very surprised if there are any tbh and expectations on this front a little unrealistic. As you say, if you need to watch films working out, then I would have thought downloading before you go would be an obvious thing to do if its a must? I've never watched a film at sea on a cruise and whilst I respect everyone's entertainment values differ, I know I always have a store on my ipad pro of films in case the flights entertainment is poor. Even then, for me that's not important, but am prepared "just in case".

On the smoking issues, have you complained to anyone about it? Unless they are made aware, they will be non the wiser to get the practice stopped. Smocking is permitted on the terrace of La Terrazza (to one side) though wished it wasn't.

Your peanut request must have been forgotten about if it hasnt arrived 24 hours later. Use your phone to dial in the request and I'm sure it will arrive shortly with an apology for the oversight from your previous request being forgotten.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your voyage these niggles dont grate too much.

Les37b- Thank you for the idea about using the 2nd free WiFi that my husband is using. I thought each free WiFi connection was per person. Anyways, we’re in Tallinn now and I was able to do the authentications since I now have cellular service on my phone. 

I’m not trying to watch films while working out. I’m trying to listen to my purchased music on Google Play during my workout. Since I didn’t download my 50 or so workout songs before leaving, I’m trying to play/stream them via WiFi which is erratic. Hopefully writing about my mistake here will save someone else future issues. 

I asked one of the Fitness Center staff why there was such a strong smell of cigarette smoke in the outdoor yoga deck area (next to the “exclusive whirlpool/deck chair” area that costs extra, no less). She said matter of factly that this area sits on top of the crews’ smoking area, hence the smell. It didn’t sound like there was anything to be done about this so I didn’t lodge a complaint. 

After asking a 2nd time for the peanuts, they finally arrived. My point in mentioning this was that there seems to be little point in taking the time to pre-order minibar items if they’re not going to be fulfilled. Might as well just order things once on board!

Edited by Perdidogirl

OK glad the WiFi idea could help.

I wasn't sure the area you were speaking about to be fair, but assumed someone was doing something wrong. My mistake. It's not something I care for either but simply move elsewhere when its happened. I have seen people smoking on the deckchairs near the pool and it is annoying as there is a specific area by the bar. Personally I'd rather that wasn't there either, but just my preference.

Ive personally found the butlers on board a bit hit or miss. On our last, I was accused on day 5 of hiding from her.... Funnily my thoughts were the reverse! We often just get some drinks and take them to the room. Often easier. That said, we've had some who couldn't do enough for you.

We've just had the best butler so far in the med on Whisper. A lovely woman by the name of Sharlene from Zimbabwe. Nothing too much trouble, everything maintained just as we like it and at no time did she intrude. We felt quite pampered! 

OTOH we've had one or two that were a waste of supplies. C'est la vie. 

Oh yes, first day of a cruise.  The crew has been going full speed ahead since very early morning.  There's the clean out & set up of probably 90% of suites on those 7-11 day itineraries.  Many requests made on line never find their way down the line which shouldn't be but in the real world.....    The various restaurant staffs have been up since the crack of dawn getting ready for the new passengers.  It's a tough day for all...especially since people are arriving with very high expectations.  The Venetians are very excited to return to see old friends among the staff & passengers & the newbies aren't sure what to expect, other than 100% excellence.  Give everything a day or two to settle down.  By then, peanuts will arrive, extra hangars will be in place, restaurant reservations will be settled & you will accept the fact that you're not going to download anything as quickly as you do at home.  You'll not have time anyway....too many martini's to taste,  different restaurants to try, nice people to get to know (and some not so nice to avoid) and mostly, fabulous sights to enjoy.  

I find the smell of cigarettes &, most especially cigars, abhorrent also, so please make your thoughts loudly known on the subject when you get your mid-cruise questionnaire.  

Internet at sea is frustrating to all of us who depend on the "free wi-fi."  There is a caveat that says something like "speeds may not be what you are used to".  No duh!  

I hope you will enjoy your time on board....fair winds to you !  And tell Katherina (the asst. CD) that her "earring friend" misses her!  She's the very best, ever !

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, nowornever said:

Oh yes, first day of a cruise.  The crew has been going full speed ahead since very early morning.  There's the clean out & set up of probably 90% of suites on those 7-11 day itineraries.  Many requests made on line never find their way down the line which shouldn't be but in the real world.....    The various restaurant staffs have been up since the crack of dawn getting ready for the new passengers.  It's a tough day for all...especially since people are arriving with very high expectations.  The Venetians are very excited to return to see old friends among the staff & passengers & the newbies aren't sure what to expect, other than 100% excellence.  Give everything a day or two to settle down.  By then, peanuts will arrive, extra hangars will be in place, restaurant reservations will be settled & you will accept the fact that you're not going to download anything as quickly as you do at home.  You'll not have time anyway....too many martini's to taste,  different restaurants to try, nice people to get to know (and some not so nice to avoid) and mostly, fabulous sights to enjoy.  

This is a very wise and sensitive paragraph.  Thanks very much for posting.

• Like 1

I read your review on the FB page and must say I thought you got a rough deal for what is a balanced and objective post! I've also read a few other posts there that made me think it's not the most welcoming part of the Web. 

If it's any comfort, we've done about 10 Silversea cruises now. The WiFi is consistently poor and, depending on where you are on any given ship, you will encounter some cigarette smoke. We have never been successful with pre-ordering minibar items. We just ask as soon as we board and the items usually turn up on or about day two. Embarkation day and leaving day are always chaotic.

Random lack of seemingly basic items sometimes occurs - one our last Singapore to Sydney cruise the bar ran out of mint coming into a period of a couple of sea days. Not a big deal to some, but when your favourite hot weather cocktail is a mojito it does take on some significance! Never mind, that was the cruise we embraced frozen margaritas instead!

We keep coming back because the crew is wonderful (although not convinced the butler service is totally necessary), the itineraries suit us and we like what we know and know what we like. Silversea for us continues to have more benefits than not, but understand too that others may not agree. Do hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise! 

Edited by badgerdee
  • Like 1

Badgerdee- Thanks for your kind post. I was a little surprised at the aggressive reactions to the post above on Silverseas Passengers FB Page.  I guess it’s really just for SS veterans to post where they’re cruising next and Mr Cohen to share his travel photos. 

Anyways, the cruise has gotten more enjoyable. A fellow guest on a tour today said that she went to Reception and they either gave or turned on a personal hotspot on her phone and that’s really helped the WiFi situation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Perdidogirl said:

Badgerdee- Thanks for your kind post. I was a little surprised at the aggressive reactions to the post above on Silverseas Passengers FB Page.  I guess it’s really just for SS veterans to post where they’re cruising next and Mr Cohen to share his travel photos. 

Anyways, the cruise has gotten more enjoyable. A fellow guest on a tour today said that she went to Reception and they either gave or turned on a personal hotspot on her phone and that’s really helped the WiFi situation. 

Thanks for continuing to post and I’m sorry that you got such a negative response on the FB page, some of the posters there are rather entitled and don’t take that well to criticism of SS. Please ignore them.

• Like 1

Solo mi!  How good to hear from you!  I had not seen any posting from you in a long, long while and I now know why.  I've been branching out to SB, Crystal and Regent, but SS is still very dear to me in many ways.  Hope we can finally meet someday.  Now Camillus 112 and formerly Ithaca.

5 minutes ago, Camillus112 said:

Solo mi!  How good to hear from you!  I had not seen any posting from you in a long, long while and I now know why.  I've been branching out to SB, Crystal and Regent, but SS is still very dear to me in many ways.  Hope we can finally meet someday.  Now Camillus 112 and formerly Ithaca.

Camillus...so good to reconnect!  I corresponded with so many wonderful folks:  you, Mysty, To the Sunset (had the pleasure of being with him and his spouse on a wonderful crossing) and others (Lois, JP).  I hope we will meet someday!

• Like 1

Hi Daveywavey..I would like to know if SS did anything special for you over the credit we all received.I will give you my email if you would like to share.

Not sure if we want to let the credit go or try again.

Hi Capri,

They did also offer us VIP status which was good but they knew nothing about it on the ship. Took a day and a half to sort. But it was very good. I’m glad we did use the voucher because we had a fantastic time. I’d have hated to leave it as it was. This cruise certainly was completely different from the one that we shared and it was good to see SS under more normal circumstances. There were a few niggles but all eventually got sorted. The Muse is a beautiful ship and the food and the crew were superb. I Don’t regret for a second going back to them. Thinking now about what we’re going to do for my 50th next year and 99% certain it’s going to be on the Silver Moon. Let me know how you get on 🙂

Daveywavey