Local restaurants in Reykjavik?

tkline

I guess we still have 10 months to plan, but just curious now.. we are doing an Ireland - Iceland cruise on Celebrity Reflection next June. We'll be arriving in Reykjavik at 3 PM and staying overnight there, departing the following afternoon. So we thought it might be nice to find a good restaurant serving local cuisine for dinner than night.

Does anyone happen to know of any good spots (preferably where they speak english)? 🙂

On that note, what is the local cuisine like anyway.. mostly seafood?

In 2005 my husband and I had a fabulous fish dinner at Prir Frikkar in downtown Reykjavic. (Prir translates to three). This place was opened in 1989 and has been in the same family (chef too, I think) since.  I just googled it and the place is still going strong with great trip advisor reviews.  Website is 3frakkar dot com.  You may need reservations as it only seats 44.

• 4 weeks later...

Two weeks ago we had a lovely dinner at Grillmarkadurinn [www.grillmarkadurinn.is/en/menu/dinner-menu/].  We started by sharing the trio of sliders (puffin, minke whale and langoustine), then shared "The Fish Gourmet" (a tasting platter with: cod with langoustine, perch with crab and arctic char with pesto).  Everything was very good, as was the ambience of this basement/cave.  Reservations a must (but our hotel was able to get us in at the last minute).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Iceland for 3 nights in 2017 and ate dinner here twice. It is close to downtown. Pleasant staff, clean establishment and good food. 

https://www.forrettabarinn.is/

Nýlendugata 14, 101 Reykjavík, Iceland

opens at 1600 to 2200

Check TripAdvisor = #7 of 349 Restaurants in Reykjavik

Stay away from:

Icelandic Fish and Chips - Icelandic restaurant
Tryggvagata 11
101 Reykjavík

Way over priced for what you get.

I'm not sure about the dinner but for coffee/lunch I highly recommend to visit Cafe Loki. A great place for traditional Icelandic food, such as fermented shark, lava bread etc. My favourite was the coffee and rye bread with smoked trout and cottage cheese. Here is a small tip, I suggest dining on the second floor, as this’ll give you a wonderful view of Hallgrimskirkja. Enjoy planning your trip!

• Like 1

Hi all!

Another vote for Cafe Loki. I stayed at a B&B nearby & ate there twice. Had the rye bread ice cream both times.

The view from the 2nd floor of the Church was lovely. If you go to the Church take the elevator up to the roof for a lovely 360 view of the Town. Glad to be going back there next year on MSC in Sept. Was there in May last time.

~ Jo ~ 😊

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the ideas so far, keep em coming!

We are big foodies but also not too adventurous, so we won't be touching anything involving innards, guts or brains 🙂 rye ice cream sounds interesting though. is rye bread a big deal over there? I saw some other restaurants talking about it. I think we would be most interested in some good local meats or fish, I don't do shellfish but my fiance does. She also raves about escargot, but I won't touch it no matter how much garlic butter it's swimming in.