Bottled Water

8 minutes ago, dlwolf72 said:

I purchase at a Sam’s Club a case of 32-16.9 oz bottles of Aquafina water for $3.98.

That’s approximately 13 cents a bottle.

What does RC charge for a bottle of water on a ship?

Around $3.

12 minutes ago, dlwolf72 said:

I purchase at a Sam’s Club a case of 32-16.9 oz bottles of Aquafina water for $3.98.

That’s approximately 13 cents a bottle.

What does RC charge for a bottle of water on a ship?

I had the beverage package and last cruise they inadvertently charged me for a bottled water to the tune of $3.49 (not exactly sure, but it was over $3) and I had to have them remove it.

5 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Does that vary by ship and itinerary?  We got two bottles at the gangway on our Med cruise last month, and it was $2 per bottle

F0B7121D-276C-42DD-8A21-05ACEF1F9160.jpeg

Nothing seems to be standard on RCI ships. Prices will vary from itinerary to itinerary or ship to ship or from port to port. Sometimes it's even from bar to bar on the same ship!

Edited by cruiseguy1016

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Does that vary by ship and itinerary?  We got two bottles at the gangway on our Med cruise last month, and it was $2 per bottle

F0B7121D-276C-42DD-8A21-05ACEF1F9160.jpeg

It was over $3 on the Anthem out of Cape Liberty.....

Funny story. One time we were going to bring a case of water on board with us. At the hotel near the shuttle bus that would bring us to the pier, I was hauling out our luggage and tried bungee cording the case of water to the portable dolly we used. In front of everyone as I approached the shuttle, the case of water decided it wasn't going to stay there and the water bottles all fell out of the plastic wrap and on to the parking lot....needless to say I got a good laugh from everyone as I quietly walked the water bottles back to the car....once on board, I am so glad we didn't bring that water because the water on the ship that's free already tastes much better than the water from bottles. 

12 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Funny story. One time we were going to bring a case of water on board with us. At the hotel near the shuttle bus that would bring us to the pier, I was hauling out our luggage and tried bungee cording the case of water to the portable dolly we used. In front of everyone as I approached the shuttle, the case of water decided it wasn't going to stay there and the water bottles all fell out of the plastic wrap and on to the parking lot....needless to say I got a good laugh from everyone as I quietly walked the water bottles back to the car....once on board, I am so glad we didn't bring that water because the water on the ship that's free already tastes much better than the water from bottles. 

Yes, some Bottles Water, Cheap and name brand taste like there is some coins in them having a Metal Taste. 

I stopped buying bottled water due to finding out my tap water tested higher in alkalinity than most bottled water.  I applied water testing strips to different bottled water and found bottled water such as Trader Joe's, Aquafina, Nestle, Deerhead, Member's Mark, SmartWater, Voss, Dasani etc and a few others were very low in alkalinity (light green, yellow, and orange) - bad.  Waters such as Essentials, Evian, Fiji tested neutral or higher in alkalinity (dark green to purple) - good.  My tap water was dark greenish blue which is good.  The PH levels in water to be  safe for drinking is 7 or higher (seven being neutral).  The water that most are buying are terrible for you. I use either the filtered water from my fridge or my zero water filter.  Not to mention, this process is easier on my wallet AND having to recycle the plastic bottles.

1 hour ago, gerif said:

I’m just wondering what relevance the cost of a 36 bottle case at a big box store would have to a single bottle purchased on a cruise ship. 

To illustrate the mark up of the cruise line compared to the actual cost.  Big box store is closer to wholesale price.. if bought as

That 36 bottle case of water would cost $108 if bought as separate bottle on the ship.

I think that we all know the cruise lines make most of their profit, as all company's do, from add-ins and up-charges.  That is why they have things like "the Key" cost of one lunch, internet service (which has a fixed cost whether 1 or hundreds of users) and a little better or earlier access to existing service is such a profit maker.

5 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

To illustrate the mark up of the cruise line compared to the actual cost.  Big box store is closer to wholesale price.. if bought as

That 36 bottle case of water would cost $108 if bought as separate bottle on the ship.

I think that we all know the cruise lines make most of their profit, as all company's do, from add-ins and up-charges.  That is why they have things like "the Key" cost of one lunch, internet service (which has a fixed cost whether 1 or hundreds of users) and a little better or earlier access to existing service is such a profit maker.

Well, they have to make a profit somehow and I personally prefer they do it on something in which I have no interest and keep my costs down. When we purchase things on a ship (or in a restaurant), we know it’s going to cost a lot more than if we have it at home. I can make a gallon of iced tea for pennies but know I’ll be shelling out $2.95 for a glass in even a diner. 

16 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

True, but at Amusement Parks or Gas Stations they make Profit also. Royal sells 12 Pack Evian for $39. At Grocery Store its about $12-14 for 6, $24-26 same 12 on Royal. Not a huge profit when comparing other purchases. Still Royal allows us to Carryon 12 Pack of 17oz soda or Water Bottles. Long as Base price Cruises stay as cheap as are now I'm fine with Extra's being their Profit. Cruise's same as with Air Fare, $ for $ pay less now then did 30yrs ago. 

I totally agree that they have to get their profit from somewhere and as the previous 2 posters said,  I much prefer it is from something that is optional and I can elect to have it or not.  Yes, keep the base fare low I don't need all that many extras. 

Unlike my adult children who have no problem running into the convenient store and grabbing a bottle of water, I look for a water fountain.

Edited by cruisegus

1 hour ago, biomedbob said:

I would never buy water!

Totally agree. What a waste of money. Anyone that buys bottled water ever find out what is actually in that bottle. The filtered water at any cruise ship bar is excellent. Well filtered for the drinks. No charge at all. The bottle is nothing more than a convenience. The water in the buffet is also well filtered. Just fill up a container. Most ships will use reverse cosmoses at the water filtering for those locations. Nothing better than that unless you like drinking distilled water. Yuk! I retired from the city utility's and quite familiar with filtering water. Your tap water is good to drink but no where near that of reverse osmosis under the sink. Even using a simple carbon filter. Most bottled water is not filtered anywhere near that and some are actually tap water in a bottle that you pay good money for. What makes me laugh is when I see a person paying at a water machine to fill up gallon jugs of water. What do they think they are paying for? The same filter they can purchase and put under their sink at home is the same one in that water dispenser. A waste of time and money. No matter what I say. Those that have been brain washed by these water bottling companies are the ones they love. The only water I will purchase is flavored or sparkling. never drinking water.