"Sorta" Live from the Explorer in the Norwegian Fjords

boblerm

10 hours ago, DaveFr said:

Rick,

We were on a cruise a couple of months ago that had two Sunday sea days in a row. We had only one Sunday brunch on the cruise. YMMV.

Dave

That was quick, thanks for the information.  Would have liked 2, but we'll have one on each of the b2b.

8 hours ago, boblerm said:

Jackie, have you reserved specialty restaurants on the planning center on the Crystal web site yet?

We love the Avenue Saloon in the evening where there is a piano player that takes requests, interacts with guests, always have a  good time there.  If I think of any others, I will add them.

Which ship and what itinerary are you doing?

Bob - Yes - we have made reservations but thank you for checking.  We will be on the Symphony (PS Suite) and I've heard that we can get a second reservation (depending upon availability) in the specialty restaurants.  Will definitely try the Avenue Saloon.  The itinerary is Vancouver to Vancouver so it is local and not expensive.  This will be the second West Coast itinerary in September that we are trying on ships that we have not sailed on before.  It should be interesting (but definitely not as interesting as your current cruise - wish that we were there).

Bob, as always your writing and picture-taking is a delight, no ifs, ands or sortas about it!  I'm happy to know that my Copenhagen-Oslo blog from last year played a role in your booking this cruise, and I hope you and Jeannie will wind up loving it as much as we did.  I'm avidly following along and especially looking forward to your Geiranger/Geirangerfjord account.  Two visits to this spectacular part of the world (the first was a 2012 land trip with our Oslo friend Jess) is not enough for me, so I'll be relishing my third visit through your words and pics!

Rich

Glass half empty: the cruise is half over!!😭😰😔

Glass half full: we still have half the cruise ahead of us!!😁😀🥂

I respectfully submit for your consideration my official detailed mid-cruise assessment-

Everything is great.

Thank you for your attention.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kjbacon said:

The Dover Sole looks delicious! We almost ordered it several times and somehow never did on our first Regent Cruise. It looks like a must for our upcoming January and July trips.

Have you had the Dover Sole in Chartreuse? IMHO, it is far better in CR.

15 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Would have liked 2, but we'll have one on each of the b2b.

But bear in mind that on Sunday there is champagne and caviar breakfast in La Veranda, and as it is a sea day, more likely than not there will be a special international lunch buffet at the pool grill.

Rich, thank you so much for following along and posting here.  And thanks again for your inspiration in our selection of this cruise, so far all of our expectations have been met or exceeded.

Poss, appreciate your kind comment.

Yesterday we were in Bodo.  Which is not, by the way, pronounced bo-do.  Certainly not, that would be too easy.  Here is my best approximation- boo duh, with an ever so subtle, barely perceptible L after the boo.  And the final o has a diagonal line running through it.  This is not because they changed their mind and are crossing it out.  The ø sounds like uh, but not exactly, it is more like somewhere between er and uh with your lips very tight. 

This thread is a veritable cornucopia of useful information.

Our excursion was Svartisen Glacier and Fjords,  a Regent Choice excursion, which means that there was an additional charge.  We had a scenic drive along a coastal route ..

_DFC0627.thumb.jpg.3e3132ab453e57e19f3f9f1722feb2b1.jpg

_DFC0697.thumb.jpg.65dc11ce3da895824c6002586c9e2ad9.jpg

_DFC0754.thumb.jpg.f2ba17ae42686cd223313c2587adb7db.jpg

to a café where we had lunch with a fabulous view of the glacier.

_DFC0734.thumb.jpg.5eab25f1f6e7465cd1a9ce1ce3b89ccc.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_1631465672292_20190814_055525768-1536x400.thumb.jpeg.58f6ac386c219e80bd9e3b0069ca9afb.jpeg

_DFC0744.thumb.jpg.6adf3e4a1a3714f40c3dd33816a32be9.jpg

The scenery was fantastic, but here is the problem:  It was a 3 ½ hour trip, with a long bus ride followed by a boat across the inlet, and a short bus ride to the café.  We had about 40 minutes at the glacier site, and then the same return trip in reverse.  I have no problem with this, provided that passengers are well informed as to what they are signing up for, however there was no mention of the transportation arrangements in the tour description.  If we were aware of this, we would likely have chosen something else, as we are not fond of long bus trips.  Destination Services will be receiving a polite, but firmly worded letter of concern.

• Like 4

Can you guess how dinner in Compass Rose was last night?

Tuna Loin on Vegetable Tartare

20190813_195332-3024x1470-2.jpg.1da6f5f07ea120da67697e1d2cf337a0.jpg

The pasta dish was seafood, I had as an app, Jeannie as main course.

20190813_200706-3024x1470.jpg.438dab72e8270e6f40d436d601efe884.jpg

I had filet mignon, perfectly prepared. 

Naturally, we did not order desert.😳  But that doesn’t mean that we didn’t have desert, since they bring petits fours whether you want them or not.

20190813_210120-1470x3024.thumb.jpg.86d859863e941edc040a9a1fbc9c567e.jpg

BTW, if you guessed “fabulous” to my above question, you would be correct.

The show last night was Cruise Director John Barron.  John introduces himself every night from behind the curtain, and in a deep voice as  “the best cruise director at sea in his price range”.  I would be truly shocked if there were a better cruise director anywhere in any price range.  For those that are fortunate enough to travel with John, I humbly, but strongly suggest that you not miss his show.  John’s performance is an exceptional combination of whimsy, belly laughs, top notch vocals in various genres- not to be missed IMHO.

20190813_213213-1080x810.thumb.jpg.6b5a477053e59369da166241b86c85e4.jpg

• Like 1

Jackie, the CD in November will be the delightful Lorraine G.

When I told John that I was reporting live, he said "I hope Travelcat is chiming in". I told him that you were the one that was inquiring about November, he said that he is sorry that he will be missing you.  I told him that you and I and 40 other CC members will be joining him on the Splendor in March, he seemed quite pleased to hear it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, boblerm said:

Have you had the Dover Sole in Chartreuse? IMHO, it is far better in CR.

No! We managed to almost order it many times in multiple locations ... can’t wait to try it next time. Love your blog!

2 hours ago, boblerm said:

Jackie, the CD in November will be the delightful Lorraine G.

When I told John that I was reporting live, he said "I hope Travelcat is chiming in". I told him that you were the one that was inquiring about November, he said that he is sorry that he will be missing you.  I told him that you and I and 40 other CC members will be joining him on the Splendor in March, he seemed quite pleased to hear it.

Your photos and commentary remain exemplary - we are enjoying it so much.

Agree with you - John's show is a "don't miss".  How funny that he mentioned me.  We are very happy that Lorraine will be on board in November - thank you for finding out that information.  I think that the CC group is delighted that he will be onboard Splendor in March!

Bob,

Have you been watching the Destination Services reviews on TV of the various excursions at each port?  I found the last couple of cruises that they are more thorough and up to date than the written descriptions.  I usually watch when I'm working out at the gym. They change before each port.  I seem to remember there are two channels, and each carries a different port day.

Martha

12 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Bob,

Have you been watching the Destination Services reviews on TV of the various excursions at each port?  I found the last couple of cruises that they are more thorough and up to date than the written descriptions.  I usually watch when I'm working out at the gym. They change before each port.  I seem to remember there are two channels, and each carries a different port day.

Martha

Martha, I must confess that I don't believe that I  have ever watched the Destination channel on the TV, and perhaps that would have clued me in about what was in store.  Even worse, I didn't read the brief description in the paper left in our stateroom, which did, as it turns out, did state that there was 2 1/ hours travel in each direction. (It was more like 3 1/2, but that is a quibble.)  And perhaps if I did read it, we would have been able to switch to something else that we would have liked, so I have to accept some responsibility here.  But then again, perhaps we would not have been able to, as most tours were sold out.  The fact of the matter is that I obsessively, compulsively choose my excursions on the very first day that I am able to, and I think that Regent should provide better information at the time that we are choosing.

Having said all this, although we did not appreciate the long bus ride, we certainly did appreciate the visual delights on this excursion.

Yesterday was a successful sea day. I accomplished pretty much everything on my to do list, most of which did not require me to get up off of my lazy behind.

I did, however, go to the fitness room for a workout. 

No, seriously, I really did! Proud of me? 

At the Seven Seas Society reception, we were entertained by singer Helen Jayne, who I had forgotten to mention performed earlier in the cruise. She is quite a vivacious performer. 

20190814_162801-01-1357x1086.thumb.jpeg.35c157cd1134bb41d2bfd4355036a3be.jpeg

I so wish that Pacific Rim was on all of the Regent ships. Outstanding cuisine. 

Amuse Bouch (don't know what it is exactly)

20190814_174835-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.006d62bab5f5bfd2efa0d9eee964c5d4.jpg

Duck Springrolls and Duck Salad

20190814_180212-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.aa1f8ddfb7bb37397e4ac9b8b73b6e61.jpg

20190814_181538-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.1a7914534beb61ae4ba19f6385757ebc.jpg

Potstickers and Seaweed Salad 

20190814_180203-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.e1d772b3b2ea57e46d34278557156e4a.jpg

20190814_181531-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.d1109b5645fc9ed08adf67209379563a.jpg

Lobster Tempura and Miso Glazed Cod

20190814_182809-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.80d237227348707ce4e4c04d738bc63d.jpg

20190814_182844-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.f2785dd296dcd68d48732105be8f32b7.jpg

Yum! 

As I have previously mentioned, we rarely order desert. 

Except when we do.

Coconut Tres Leches 

20190814_191003-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.92927ca3a3268fd7dda1f574434cd158.jpg

The production show was "World Rhythms". Just when I think that this cast of singers and dancers can't get do a better production, they prove me wrong. 

All of this over the top fabulous food, service and entertainment is getting kind of boring..... 

... said no one anywhere ever!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, boblerm said:

Martha, I must confess that I don't believe that I  have ever watched the Destination channel on the TV, and perhaps that would have clued me in about what was in store.  Even worse, I didn't read the brief description in the paper left in our stateroom, which did, as it turns out, did state that there was 2 1/ hours travel in each direction. (It was more like 3 1/2, but that is a quibble.)  And perhaps if I did read it, we would have been able to switch to something else that we would have liked, so I have to accept some responsibility here.  But then again, perhaps we would not have been able to, as most tours were sold out.  The fact of the matter is that I obsessively, compulsively choose my excursions on the very first day that I am able to, and I think that Regent should provide better information at the time that we are choosing.

Having said all this, although we did not appreciate the long bus ride, we certainly did appreciate the visual delights on this excursion.

Just as an FYI, when excursions show 'sold out' you can always waitlist them.  If possible, Regent will arrange additional buses and guides to accommodate.  We've cleared more waitlists than not - no guarantee, but it's worth asking.  Keep in mind that some excursions are capacity controlled, like Private Vatican tours, cooking classes, etc. so there may be no other options for those.

Before sailing we'll always call Regent directly with excursion questions, and once on board we'll make a beeline to Destination Services if we want to try and make changes.  We usually get accommodated.

Today, as well as the last 2 port days, the weather has been spectacular!

Today we are in Ålesund, which, I am happy to say, is pronounced almost as one would expect, the only little hitch being that the Å is kind of like aw, so "aw selund" would be pretty close.

Our excursion was "Åselund, & the Dunmore Museum"

We began with a ride around this lovely art nouveau town, 

_DFC0786.thumb.jpg.75e7f35082e88831803270241df0a653.jpg

_DFC0791-2.thumb.jpg.55f930d4370eb045972df553f3ced426.jpg

and then to the open air museum. This looked quite a bit like the open air museum that we visited in Kristiansand,  and while it was interesting, at first we feared that we had chosen unwisely. However, for me, the real attraction of this place is the setting, we were not disappointed. 

_DFC0820.thumb.jpg.44b2aa9a72bb6fc7e5c35cb8425cda71.jpg

_DFC0844-2.thumb.jpg.0f1b2cff78c92ca5b2190fd845cd23b4.jpg

_DFC0851-2.thumb.jpg.c247623177726904c4622cd081adfbe7.jpg

_DFC0817.thumb.jpg.ff23b4707155654bf2401b34b28f3e23.jpg

Next we drove to the top of Mount Aksla, for not-too-shabby views. 

_DFC0868.thumb.jpg.9f68e8247cedf5914c0457b7ad86b09c.jpg

our neighbor today is the HAL Nieuw Statendam, the second best ship in port today😁

_DFC0871-2.thumb.jpg.60f5d5465b32794ff869fc03671d3eed.jpg

_DFC0886.thumb.jpg.3c8369ae51947eff73b6152a3052ef58.jpg

All in all, a most enjoyable port! 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

Bob,

Martha

Just be warned this is not always true. They aren't always accurate. I watch them for the tour we picked. Last year i chose a tour based on the description at the time of choosing it and then re-confirmed the description from the TV. The tour was not like either of the descriptions and a major disappointment. This was the excursion i wanted the most and it was awful.  
Don't believe everything you read or watch. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

Just as an FYI, when excursions show 'sold out' you can always waitlist them.  If possible, Regent will arrange additional buses and guides to accommodate.  We've cleared more waitlists than not - no guarantee, but it's worth asking.  Keep in mind that some excursions are capacity controlled, like Private Vatican tours, cooking classes, etc. so there may be no other options for those.

Before sailing we'll always call Regent directly with excursion questions, and once on board we'll make a beeline to Destination Services if we want to try and make changes.  We usually get accommodated.

Bill, appreciate the advice, and will certainly keep it in mind for the future. In this particular case, and please correct me if I am wrong, I don't think that strategy would have worked, as the excursion that I was booked on was a Regent Choice, which if I'm not mistaken, has to be canceled 48 hours ahead. Had we canceled that one and be wait listed for another there is a chance that we would end up with nada. 

And I don't believe that I would have been refunded if I didn't cancel and switched to another inside the 48 hour window. 

37 minutes ago, boblerm said:

Bill, appreciate the advice, and will certainly keep it in mind for the future. In this particular case, and please correct me if I am wrong, I don't think that strategy would have worked, as the excursion that I was booked on was a Regent Choice, which if I'm not mistaken, has to be canceled 48 hours ahead. Had we canceled that one and be wait listed for another there is a chance that we would end up with nada. 

And I don't believe that I would have been refunded if I didn't cancel and switched to another inside the 48 hour window. 

That would be a good question for Destination Services - I know there's a cancellation window on the Regent Choice tours but they may be able to work with you if there's someone else waitlisted for the tour you're cancelling.  Ya never know until ya ask.   🙂

On 8/14/2019 at 12:41 AM, boblerm said:

Today is another sea day.  Must stop posting now, as I have a very busy agenda, chock full of activities.

(Ron and Rick, can you guess what they are?)

Let me guess, "Nothing!" oh with out the explanation mark.😂  But a great report.  And be sure to take some notes and send them to us so we might had them to our book.😎

7 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Have you found calling Regent with excursion questions useful?  I tried calling and asking about excursions on our upcoming cruise and the person I talked to was literally reading the description from the website.  I'm like, thanks, I'll talk to Destination Services onboard. 🙄

11 minutes ago, califsealion said:

Have you found calling Regent with excursion questions useful?  I tried calling and asking about excursions on our upcoming cruise and the person I talked to was literally reading the description from the website.  I'm like, thanks, I'll talk to Destination Services onboard. 🙄

I've had more luck with scheduling/waitlisting than getting actual descriptions - I honestly don't think I've tried to ply them for information, truth be told...

• Thanks 1