"Sorta" Live from the Explorer in the Norwegian Fjords

boblerm

Well,the spirit is willing, but the internet is not.

We had a spectacular day in Geirangerfjord, but no connection all day.

The signal returned just around cocktail hour, but as I indicated in post #1, a wise man would not involve himself in distracting activities when having cocktails with his wife.

And neither would I. 

After cocktails was dinner, and then the show.  Dinner in CR was enjoyable as usual, most notable being Chateaubriand, which Jeannie had and thinks that is the best steak that she has had on  Regent. 

The show was a classically trained pianist who did popular selections with unusual arrangements.  No doubt I would have thoroughly enjoyed it had I been able to stay awake.  Jeannie assures me that he was excellent.  Now need to get some (additional) shut eye.

Tomorrow we are in Flan, and it is probable that signal may not be any better than today.  But will definitely catch up when conditions and timing allow.

Bob 

Well,the spirit is willing, but the internet is not.

We had a spectacular day in Geirangerfjord, but no connection all day.

The signal returned just around cocktail hour, but as I indicated in post #1, a wise man would not involve himself in distracting activities when having cocktails with his wife.

And neither would I. 

After cocktails was dinner, and then the show.  Dinner in CR was enjoyable as usual, most notable being Chateaubriand, which Jeannie had and thinks that is the best steak that she has had on  Regent. 

The show was a classically trained pianist who did popular selections with unusual arrangements.  No doubt I would have thoroughly enjoyed it had I been able to stay awake.  Jeannie assures me that he was excellent.  Now need to get some (additional) shut eye.

Tomorrow we are in Flan, and it is probable that signal may not be any better than today.  But will definitely catch up when conditions and timing allow.

Bob 

So glad that you are back and I definitely understand the internet issues.  After all, you are really far north!

Chateaubriand, is one reason why I am not a vegetarian.  You are making me hungry.  I can only hope that I can have great food on Crystal (September 3rd).  We accepted an upset to a CP suite so it should be wonderful (includes private transfer to and from the ship which is what we are used to from Regent).  

My husband would not leave me during cocktail hour either.  I applaud you for having your priorities in order!

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

So glad that you are back and I definitely understand the internet issues.  After all, you are really far north!

Chateaubriand, is one reason why I am not a vegetarian.  You are making me hungry.  I can only hope that I can have great food on Crystal (September 3rd).  We accepted an upset to a CP suite so it should be wonderful (includes private transfer to and from the ship which is what we are used to from Regent).  

My husband would not leave me during cocktail hour either.  I applaud you for having your priorities in order!

We had the best Châteaubriand of our lives (with marvellous Béarnaise) in the Main Dining Room on Riviera.  I shall be looking for it on the CR menu!!  I am getting hungry...

8 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I think you will enjoy the CP suite - are you on Symphony or Serenity? You will be thoroughly spoilt!

Bob I am sorry that I am late to the party.

I just found your thread yesterday and now have read all of your posts.

As usual, wonderful narrative and lovely photos.

Feeling like we are with you and Jeannie.  

Anne Marie and I send our very best to you both.  Keep enjoying.

Keith 

6 hours ago, DaisyUK said:

I think you will enjoy the CP suite - are you on Symphony or Serenity? You will be thoroughly spoilt!

Symphony!  I do suggest that you do a Norway itinerary - it is amazing (even though the internet has been sketchy).

Gerry - Chateaubriand is not on the CR menu but is generally served once during the cruise (of course, you can always special order it).

Jackie, I predict that you will have great food on Crystal; I would stake my reputation on it. 

Keith, I am so pleased that you are following, and thank you so much for your comments. All the best to you and Anne Marie.

DaisyUK, I appreciate your remarks, and if I may, I would suggest that if you have the chance to do this or a similar itinerary, do so, it is truly a wonderful area to visit.

Just now catching up on this, as we just got back from the Silversea circumnavigation of Iceland.  Loving your posts.  We did a similar itinerary years ago, probably at least 11 years, and loved it.  Your pics bring back great memories.

Today we are in Flam, no internet all day again, and it came back, wouldn’t you know it, at cocktail hour.  But I had the foresight to have a post all ready to roll, so it took minimal time to get it out there.  Sometimes and old dog can learn new tricks. 

I would like to pick up with the evening of Thursday, 15 August, the day that we were in Ålesund.

There was a pre-dinner show, one of the lead singers in the production cast, Marsha Lawson.  I must admit that I had a problem with this show.  45 minutes was just not enough.  I wanted it to go on and on, what a wonderful voice and personality.

PSX_20190816_090732.thumb.jpg.d21c6a598fe8fb212377665e83347811.jpg
Sette Mari is arguably the most “controversial”, for lack of a better term, Regent restaurant, as it has its fans, and some are just not into it.  I fell in love with Sette Mari about 5 minutes after entering for the first time, when they brought what I gotta believe is the best bread basket in the history of the world, with focaccia, bruschette, stuffed pastries, parmesan cheese, fried mozz, etc, etc.. 

20190815_191011-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.33c0d9a31880fa3f25d5eaa7af15e665.jpgThe problem is that I ate so much of it that it kind of ruined my appetite for the rest of the meal.  Now, Jeannie knows enough to move it out of my reach in the event that my self discipline seems to be lacking.

Next you are invited to visit the appetizer bar, where there is a dizzying assortment of hot and cold appetizers.  It behooves one to show some restraint here as well.

This would make a fine meal in itself, however you are contractually obligated to additionally order from the menu, it is in the fine print of your cruise contract.
Just kidding.
  There are 3 sections of the menu, soups, pastas, and entrees.  You can choose from 1, 2 and for hardy souls, all 3.

If you have been following this report, you know that we almost never order dessert.  But, c’mon, who can resist a cannoli?
20190815_204912-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.deef9aeae300d55b65bcee7cb76405cd.jpg
(I do believe that I have been misspelling dessert throughout this report, I offer my most sinseer apolajee.)

We had some time to kill before the show, so we took a little stroll. Outside of the Coffee Connection there is a jigsaw puzzle set up which appeared to be almost completed. 

20190816_085746-3024x1469.thumb.jpg.b06e9fdca34bcf93cf790c7e54805408.jpgSo we figured, let’s finish her up, how hard can it be? After 15 minutes, we were not successful in placing even one piece!  Jigsaw puzzle doers, you have my deep abiding respect.

The late show was a singer named Evan Bosworth doing the music of Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.  He had Frankie’s voice down pat, and absolutely nailed his ballads.  When he did the group’s songs, let’s face it, he is only One Season, so there was a little something missing.  Still, his voice and stage presence carried him through, the audience came to its feet at the end. Well, at least those that were able to do so at that late hour.

As a postscript, the following morning I came down to the Coffee Connection at 7AM to bring coffee back to the room, and encountered this
 20190816_072001-3024x1470-1512x735-756x368.jpg.6e2624397ce88efcb2d5680aa14f1ed0.jpg

Who are these people?

Tomorrow hopefully, I can get some shots from Geiranger and possibly Flåm.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Chateaubriand is not on the CR menu but is generally served once during the cruise (of course, you can always special order it).

Sorry to go off topic, Bob. Just wanted to mention to Travelcat2 that as you're on for a 7 day cruise it might not appear on the menu so I highly recommend a special order and they do it so nicely with not just a slice served but the whole piece which they then carve as many pieces as you wish. We always order truffle fries and bernaise sauce to accompany it. One of our favourite special orders.

1 hour ago, ClefsDor said:

Sorry to go off topic, Bob. Just wanted to mention to Travelcat2 that as you're on for a 7 day cruise it might not appear on the menu so I highly recommend a special order and they do it so nicely with not just a slice served but the whole piece which they then carve as many pieces as you wish. We always order truffle fries and bernaise sauce to accompany it. One of our favourite special orders.

Thank you for letting me know.  We plan on eating in specialty restaurants a lot so I'm not sure that we will have time to special order.  Thankfully we will be on Regent in November and we can have it there.

Back to Bob and his delicious looking food.  Have to agree about Sette Mari.  We like it (sort of) and do go there once per cruise but it is difficult to not eat too much.  I think that I would like it more as a "normal" (whatever normal is) Italian restaurant.  Must say that I love the open kitchen (only on Explorer).  It adds to the ambience!

I find that the "Italian" food offered in both Sette Mare and on Oceania, Toscana is far more "American Italian" food than the food we encounter in restaurants in northern Italy.   And I don't much like it.  (Love the food in Northern Italy!)   It is though an interesting idea to go to SM and just have the antipasti.  I think I will try that!!

• Like 1

We are definitely on the love Sette Mari side of the great controversy! Your perfect description of the bread basket, snacks, and appetizers has me ready to go right now. We didn’t want to hurt the feelings of the chefs and kitchen staff so we ordered the soup, pasta, and entree. We didn’t have dessert so it couldn’t have been too many calories after all!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RachelG said:

Just now catching up on this, as we just got back from the Silversea circumnavigation of Iceland.  Loving your posts.  We did a similar itinerary years ago, probably at least 11 years, and loved it.  Your pics bring back great memories.

Thank you ,Rachel, Jeannie and I greatly enjoyed reading the great commentary and photos provided by you, @jpalbny and others on the trip report on the Silversea forum.

I mentioned in a previous post that we were scheduled to do a circumnavigation of Iceland this month, but fate intervened and we ended up here.  While this worked out great for us, your and JPs info makes us want to be sure to keep Iceland on our list.

17 minutes ago, kjbacon said:

We are definitely on the love Sette Mari side of the great controversy! Your perfect description of the bread basket, snacks, and appetizers has me ready to go right now. We didn’t want to hurt the feelings of the chefs and kitchen staff so we ordered the soup, pasta, and entree. We didn’t have dessert so it couldn’t have been too many calories after all!

Oh boy, now I feel guilty about the cannoli! 😄

But we skipped the soup, so that makes up for it, right? If only. 

10 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

J

Sharin, just to be clear, I have absolutely no problem with any input that you or anyone else would like to share, on or off "topic"!🙂

I forgot to mention when discussing Sette Mari that for entrees, Jeannie had the veal scaloppini marsala, and I the osso bucco.  The clear winner here was the scallopini , the osso bucco was somewhat stringy, and not nearly as tender and flavorful.

Gerainger-

In the morning, we cruised down the fjord. Our tour in the afternoon was Majestic Mount Dalsnibba & Djupcasshytta.

We tendered to shore, and were brought via coach to the top of the mountain, some 4900feet up.

We had a stop at the Djupcasshytta Lodge where we had a pastry and coffee.  Just in the nick of time, as it was already 2 hours past lunch.

We saw some beautiful sites as we ascended and descended, and as I tried to learn how to pronounce Djupcasshytta.

No luck

For most of the day I was pretty much at a loss for words

_DFC0902.thumb.jpg.0940db9ed0af69113d27f319d324a5fb.jpg

_DFC0908.thumb.jpg.0a68cae299ed2e5f65f8755779c256d8.jpg

_DFC0916.thumb.jpg.d3238d64f101b49be3452975bee1ad69.jpg

_DFC0922.thumb.jpg.45b3f93b0ecdc2270314dcf3626ba474.jpg

_DFC0960.thumb.jpg.07596a163fdac36020a21c0525c6e437.jpg

_DFC0982.thumb.jpg.64e5138f72a0b5f13a885c6cad89236d.jpg

_DFC1010.thumb.jpg.1b0d2ae02f7b7ff9a3faaf82af28e2d3.jpg

_DFC1026.thumb.jpg.c0c4a302938f9e7256eb121023a32e32.jpg

_DFC1051.thumb.jpg.cd846ce0ac83eaf6d1b2680adb5e7408.jpg

Other to say

My compliments to the Architect.

Edited by boblerm
  • Like 5

Briar14, thank you, so glad that you are enjoying. 

I believe that I have a new favorite Regent team member.  He is a charming young man  named Joel from (Gerry, you will be happy to hear) Switzerland. 
Here’s how we got to know each other-

On our first Sunday Champagne and caviar breakfast, one of us, I won’t tell which, spilled a mimosa all over the table.  A staff member came by to clean up, and afterwards looked at him (or, …perhaps it was her, I’ll never tell) and with a deadpan look and serious voice said, “Sir, I can overlook many things.  But the waste of perfectly good alcohol?  Unforgivable!”  He went on with several more quips that pretty much had us in stitches.

For the next several mornings, every time that he passed our table he gave me, um..err…I mean the offending party several barbs.  Later in the week, in Sette Mare, the very same offending member of our party had another little mishap.  Without going into details, let’s just say that it involved a menu and a glass of prosecco.  (In his or her defense, truly the menus in Sette Mare are way too large. ) The next morning, the other party member squealed to Joel, who immediately replied, “Sir, you leave me no choice but to alert the staff to be following you around with mops”.

Last night we dined at Chartreuse, and as luck would have it, Joel was our server.  He approached our table and with a deadpan look and voice said, “Sir, may I recommend to you tonight a special dish prepared just for you: a beef tenderloin smoothie.  It requires very little use of hands.”
When he brought our first course, without saying a word and with a serious look on his face put down my dish (OK, OK, I confess. It was yours truly) and moved my wineglass to the opposite side of the table.

I believe I have found a kindred spirit.  Joel, Danke und alles Gute.
Bob

20190818_130817-1470x3024.thumb.jpg.dc3bf12eabb1725bd512e3ae0b0e02a4.jpg

20190818_130756-1470x3024.jpg

Edited by boblerm
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

Oh what a hoot. i hope my path crosses his sometime as he is a gem.  Thanks for the great story. Your photos and commentary are wonderful. 

He is a delightful young man. 

News flash I am getting ready for dinner tonight and have just become aware of the fact that NORWEGIAN ATMOSPERE SHRINKS CLOTHING!

Caution advised! 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1