"Sorta" Live from the Explorer in the Norwegian Fjords

boblerm

What a great story!  We will definitely look for Joel when we are onboard Explorer in November (hope that he is still on Explorer).

Your photos are stunning - no other words can describe them.  When we were in Norway, out clothes shrunk as well.  It must have something to do with the weather there.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, boblerm said:

Oh boy, now I feel guilty about the cannoli! 😄

But we skipped the soup, so that makes up for it, right? If only. 

Of course it makes up for it, absolutely! Tell me though, was that cannoli half as good as it looked?

3 hours ago, boblerm said:

He is a delightful young man. 

News flash I am getting ready for dinner tonight and have just become aware of the fact that NORWEGIAN ATMOSPERE SHRINKS CLOTHING!

Caution advised! 😏

We literally had to go shopping in port toward the end of our cruise because our clothes no longer fit (and we brought 2 sizes)! Conclusion: the Mediterranean climate is a problem as well. Don’t see any other pattern ....

• Like 1

I am curious!  Where is Joel from in Switzerland  ??  Normally we see that name more here in the Suisse Romande than on the other side..of what we call the Röstigraben!

Your photos continue to amaze me. The Geiranger Fjord was my favourite place on our Hürtigruten cruise... many many years ago.

Gerry

58 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

I am curious!  Where is Joel from in Switzerland  ??  Normally we see that name more here in the Suisse Romande than on the other side..of what we call the Röstigraben!

Gerry, I confess that I do not know what any of this means, but I shall query Joel when I see him. If I don't see him, I'll just spill something and he'll come running.😁

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

Your photos continue to amaze me. The Geiranger Fjord was my favourite place on our Hürtigruten cruise... many many years ago.

Thank you!

Flåm

Our weather luck ran out today as we arrive here in the rain.  We had an afternoon excursion on the Flåm Railway.  As afternoon approached, the weather changed:  it started raining harder.  Oh well.

_DFC0014.thumb.jpg.adc346a8a40f5fc5b04eb9b418790b6b.jpg

In truth, while we would have preferred a brighter dryer day, our spirits were hampered little, as we still enjoyed majestic views, albeit with some clouds and fog added in for special effects.

_DFC0039.thumb.jpg.04a2aa92230d28c60dc345bdc7741969.jpg

_DFC0062.thumb.jpg.8ced9f9f45b58c30c7dd5d988fabbe6e.jpg

The weather cleared as we reached the summit.

_DFC0148.thumb.jpg.2cc02ff06e8dba46185f772e739367bb.jpg

The Huldra was out in all of her glory.

_DFC0230.thumb.jpg.d3df37b727fe4982b1f1de2cf06a2311.jpg

_DFC0241.thumb.jpg.5f304f229609328dc96c308801995ce9.jpg

_DFC0107.thumb.jpg.f2f7e490ec2ac7a5c4ca667cc495bd14.jpg

For an interesting comparison as to how this area looks in glorious sunshine, I refer you to the wonderful photos provided by @flossie009 in her report. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682585-narratives-from-navigator-in-norway/page/2/

• Like 4

@boblerm, sorry the weather is being temperamental.

But this means the waterfalls are more spectacular and you have captured some brilliant shots of the Norwegian temptress.

Doesn’t legend say that if you capture her image she will haunt you forever more? 😱 😂

We are so enjoying your blog; it helps ease away our post-cruise blues by bringing back happy memories 🙂 Thank you

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 1

Actually, I think that your photos are magnificent and the weather is more typical than seeing sunshine.  

If you happen to spill something again and see Joel, maybe you could ask him if he will be on Explorer in November.  Thanks much!

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I think that your photos are magnificent and the weather is more typical than seeing sunshine.

I agree. Flam has an average of 23 rainy days per month in August.

We were so fortunate with the excellent sunny weather we experienced during our Navigator cruise 😎

9 hours ago, boblerm said:

Gerry, I confess that I do not know what any of this means, but I shall query Joel when I see him. If I don't see him, I'll just spill something and he'll come running.😁

Thank you!

Sorry Bob!   Suisse Romande = French speaking Switzerland.  Röstigraben - literally the rösti ditch, röstis being our beloved potato dish.  Meaning - the dividing line between French and German speaking Switzerland!  Formerly röstis were only eaten by the German Swiss.  Now we all eat them - with gusto!!   Interestingly the Swiss Germans refer to the Suisse Romands (us French speakers) as " die Welsche" - comes from Celts.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Gerry, Jeannie has a much better memory than do I, and says that Joel told us that he is from Geneva.  

7 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

If you happen to spill something again and see Joel, maybe you could ask him if he will be on Explorer in November.

Jackie, he will be on until November 12, so I do not think he will be there when you come on.

Bob - say "Salut" to Joel for me!!  We lived in Geneva (Vésenaz)  for a long time...our daughter was born there.  Now we are in the Valais but I have a special place in my heart for Geneva.  Not very "Swiss" place but a very lovely place to live.

8 hours ago, flossie009 said:

Doesn’t legend say that if you capture her image she will haunt you forever more? 😱 😂

Oh no!!  That is not what our tour guide told us!

Here is the story that we were told-  the Huldra is a beautiful woman with a cow's tail.  She tries to seduce a man into marrying her, upon which time she loses her tail.  However, she then becomes ugly.

I guess you can't have everything

8 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Bob - say "Salut" to Joel for me!!  We lived in Geneva (Vésenaz)  for a long time...our daughter was born there.  Now we are in the Valais but I have a special place in my heart for Geneva.  Not very "Swiss" place but a very lovely place to live.

I will extend your greeting to him!

I have yet another complaint!  Well, not so much of a complaint, but a bit of a disappointment.

No Beatles dance party, or any other type of dance party.  We really enjoy these.  I hope this is not a new trend.

I have a request of my fellow CCers,  please on your comment cards mention that you hope that they keep them, or bring them back as the case may be.

Thanks!

Sailaway from Flåm

20190817_191242-3024x1470-02.thumb.jpeg.8b2215f6ca5f76d90344ac66dfab76c8.jpeg

We have visited Chartreuse twice before, and based on that experience, we have considered it to be our least favorite Regent restaurant.  (Mind, that is a little bit like saying that Ringo is my least favorite Beatle.  Great as he is, I just consider the other 3 to be greater.)  However, based on our experience of that night, we just may have to go back to the drawing board.
We were seated at a primo banquette table, with quite a nice view of sailaway

20190817_194246-3024x1470-01.thumb.jpeg.95683f579beaab777044eb30ba45cbf7.jpeg

As students of the Regent forum and having read lots of opinions about what people tend to enjoy here, I started with Beef Tartare,20190817_200524-3024x1470-01.thumb.jpeg.5809d5dae690b88bb024f9a7ab2b81d1.jpeg

Jeannie had the Beet and Goat Cheese Salad.  We both then had Fish Soup, and, what for me is their strongest dish, the Rack of Lamb

20190817_205028-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.a193e9e62077bfe37d12885fcd94283c.jpg

Even a confirmed non-dessert eater like myself (groan), to not order the Floating Island is not even an option.

20190817_211301-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.18fa9abddcda05c57ca3d7d1c0ed140e.jpg

20190817_193508-3024x1470-01.thumb.jpeg.74ff6644a11a886dfae7324d45e643d4.jpeg
  • Like 1

The evening production show was “Paradis”, bringing to the stage Parisian nightlife.  I am beginning to feel somewhat foolish in discussing the production shows.  After all, I keep saying “this is the best….no, no, this is the best…, yada yada yada, blah, blah, blah”.  How can I be expected to be taken seriously?

So let’s just say, hypothetically, that considering the voice talent, dancing artistry, stage presence, chemistry between the performers, personalities, attitude, choreography, staging, scenery, costumes, special effects, lighting, sound, that I thought that I have just witnessed the new standard by which cruise ship entertainment should be judged?  Should I actually say that?

Heck yes, because it happens to be true.

When the show ended, as I looked around the showroom, I could not find anyone sitting down.  Even those who lacked the energy the previous evening were up.  I looked to the person on my right, he said, “that was the best show I have ever seen on a cruise ship!”

The person on Jeannie’s left said “I have seen this show 4 times, and just keeps getting better and better!”
So maybe I’m not all that crazy after all. 

• Like 1

Yesterday I went up to la Veranda for breakfast and was surprised to see that champagne and caviar was being served.  Can it be another Sunday already??

Our port is Haugesund, Norway.  

_DFC0457.thumb.jpg.6eed834a5afc9bbd9a3b520338a7efe1.jpg

Our tour was in the morning, a city walking tour.  The weather forecast was for rain, but it held out until the afternoon.

This was by no stretch the most awe-inspiring place we have visited, but for me it was by far the most charming.

_DFC0331.thumb.jpg.301c46173b96922498277a676363fc04.jpg

_DFC0339.thumb.jpg.9e1e6e301bfba1eec26fe8d37ba7b46a.jpg

_DFC0344.thumb.jpg.3293778d547efd6ea146a40a85fd0f51.jpg

_DFC0345.thumb.jpg.e934142aaa2d35aff1993d1db7049d17.jpg

_DFC0380.thumb.jpg.300f37b39b9fc4f03c0a3e28142d36b0.jpg

The town hall is an award winning  “most beautiful in Norway”,but is closed on Sunday. I imagine the beauty is in the inside, the outside is nothing to write home about.

There is a statue of Marilyn Monroe here. “And why is that”, you ask? Great question.  For some reason, which is unclear to me, the residents here thought that her father was from here.  So they put up statue of her.  Turns out, he was not.  But they decided to leave the statue anyway.  Wouldn’t you?

_DFC0328.thumb.jpg.2f78228933a7139ac4f7e5dfb3b1e89b.jpg

Vår Frelsers church.

_DFC0451.thumb.jpg.579e24d656307633871397f203f478be.jpg

_DFC0403-HDR.thumb.jpg.c8f953217022e77ba61c9b90ac47cb33.jpg

• Like 3

Regent should comp you for this thread - a marvelous advertizement . Thanks for the enjoyment.

"Gerainger-

In the morning, we cruised down the fjord. Our tour in the afternoon was Majestic Mount Dalsnibba & Djupcasshytta.

We tendered to shore, and were brought via coach to the top of the mountain, some 4900feet up.

We had a stop at the Djupcasshytta Lodge where we had a pastry and coffee.  Just in the nick of time, as it was already 2 hours past lunch. We saw some beautiful sites as we ascended and descended, and as I tried to learn how to pronounce Djupcasshytta."

In response to a recent other thread about "strenuous" Regent excursions, I remarked about my hike up from  Gerainger. Your lovely photos reminded me again of my not so lovely effort making that climb!

Edited by DeepFreeze63

I have another request, more like something that I just would like to bring to people's attention.

On our tour, at one point the guide stopped to take a count, and found that 4 were missing from the group.  Someone remarked that they think that they had decided to go off on their own, the operative word here being "think".  The guide said that he was responsible for his guests, and clearly took his responsibility seriously, he did not feel comfortable just assuming that they were not just wandering or using a restroom.  After about 10 minutes of standing around, we proceeded.  In truth, there was virtually no chance that one would not be able to find their way back to the ship, but still.

I know that CC members and readers tend to be sophisticated travelers, and that this is pretty much preaching to the choir, but please, if one is leaving the group, one really needs to inform the guide.

• Like 5

Here’s a little bit of a fun fact in regard to tour guides here.  Of the 8 guides we had in Norway, only 2 of them were Norwegian.  Of the others, there were 4 gents, from the US, Germany, Spain and Italy, and 2 ladies, 1 from Argentina, sorry I can’t remember where the other was from, but it wasn’t Norway.  In chatting with them, we learned that they are able to earn more as tour guides in Norway than in their home countries.  This is because while nearly everyone here speaks English as well as Norwegian, not than many speak other languages, so there is a great demand for tour guides that speak other languages.  The 6 guides that we had fell in love with Norway and decided to stay here, of the men, 3 of them also fell in love with Norwegian girls. Incentive indeed.

2 hours ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

In response to a recent other thread about "strenuous" Regent excursions, I remarked about my hike up from  Gerainger. Your lovely photos reminded me again of my not so lovely effort making that climb!

That would have been quite the hike!  Glad I took the bus!😁

Thank you for letting me know Joel's schedule.  Maybe he will be onboard Splendor or on one of our other Explorer cruises.

So glad that you gave Chartreuse another try.  It can be hit or miss but when it is good, it is excellent!  When we are onboard in November, we're having dinner with the Staff Captain in Chartreuse.  He only orders the black foot chicken when he is there.  When I asked him what made it different, he went through an explanation about how they are raised, etc.  Guess I'll have to try it.

Glad also that you posted about people leaving the excursion without telling the guide.  That is incredibly rude.  One time we got so lost that we could not find the bus (it was a maze of shops).  I was extremely upset - knowing that people were waiting for us.  No matter how many times we got directions, it didn't get us back to the bus.  We ended up taking a cab and immediately went to Destination Services to let them know what happened.  They were so nice - even the sweater that I left on the bus was returned to me.

Still loving your photos and commentary!

9 hours ago, boblerm said:

As students of the Regent forum and having read lots of opinions about what people tend to enjoy here, I started with Beef Tartare,

So what is your verdict? For me it is the best beef tartare onboard but i am interested to know what you thought.

3 hours ago, boblerm said:

I have another request, more like something that I just would like to bring to people's attention.

On our tour, at one point the guide stopped to take a count, and found that 4 were missing from the group.  Someone remarked that they think that they had decided to go off on their own, the operative word here being "think".  The guide said that he was responsible for his guests, and clearly took his responsibility seriously, he did not feel comfortable just assuming that they were not just wandering or using a restroom.  After about 10 minutes of standing around, we proceeded.  In truth, there was virtually no chance that one would not be able to find their way back to the ship, but still.

I know that CC members and readers tend to be sophisticated travelers, and that this is pretty much preaching to the choir, but please, if one is leaving the group, one really needs to inform the guide.

It is SO important that if you leave a tour you tell the guide.  Important to do (because the guide has to do a head count and is responsible for getting his/her passengers back to the ship) AND if you do not -you are wasting other peoples sightseeing time while the guide counts heads.  Inconsiderate is not a strong enough word to call those who just "slink off" ...

14 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

So what is your verdict? For me it is the best beef tartare onboard but i am interested to know what you thought.

Bob - Your photo of the Boeuf Tartare ??  Was there a sauce (there shouldn't be one...) and what was the "stuff" on the top?  Looked like caviar to me - hopefully wasn't...   

Gerry