"Sorta" Live from the Explorer in the Norwegian Fjords

boblerm

Here's how I can always tell that the cruise is just about over - I can now walk from forward and aft elevators directly to my room without first wandering off in the wrong direction for a bit. 

For me, the best way of mitigating end of cruise blues is to have (at least) 1 in the hopper. We have 2, the Splendor Panama Canal in March, with 40 CC illuminaries, and the Mariner in June, Alaska. 

Tomorrow we have an overnight in Oslo, flying home next day. 

Will catch up as time allows. 

Cheers, 

Bob

• Like 2

On 8/18/2019 at 5:43 PM, boblerm said:

_DFC0039.thumb.jpg.04a2aa92230d28c60dc345bdc7741969.jpg

Bob:  what a wonderful thread. You deserve the golden sombrero award for your efforts. I really love your pics and my favorite one is the one above from Flam. It may have been cloudy, but the contrast between the darkness of the sky and the bright colors of the ground is in perfect harmony.  Of course my second favorite pic are all the ones about food. Have a safe trip home. 

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1
  • Like 2

I am more sorry than you, Bob, for this cruise to end.  I just loved opening up the thread and looking at the photos!  And the one of Flam could be Switzerland IF the houses looked different!!   (especially Switzerland today which is miserably wet and foggy and cold!)

Have a good flight home.  See you onboard on 14th March!!

Gerry

19 hours ago, 1982CruzStart said:

So what is your verdict? For me it is the best beef tartare onboard but i am interested to know what you thought.

18 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Bob - Your photo of the Boeuf Tartare ??  Was there a sauce (there shouldn't be one...) and what was the "stuff" on the top?  Looked like caviar to me - hopefully wasn't...   

Gerry

Here is the description of the beef tartare:

Hand-Cut Black Angus Beef Tartare in Hazelnut Oil with Perlita Caviar d’Aquitaine and Dijon Dressing

Are you impressed that I remembered it? Being an honest man, I must confess that I copied and pasted from Regent site 😁

Sorry Gerry, I guess it is not the real thing. 

However, 1982CruzStart, my verdict is 👍

19 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Glad also that you posted about people leaving the excursion without telling the guide.  That is incredibly rude.

Jackie, I'm not so sure that it is purely a matter of rudeness, (although I agree that it is somewhat rude to leave a tour without giving the guide a word of thanks at the very least), but I think that it is a matter of just not having any understanding of how difficult another person's job is. A tour guide needs to do more than just provide info, they are responsible for the safety and security of their guests. 

Similarly, I wish everyone had a better understanding of how difficult it is for the wonderful crew to provide such service to us. If we did, perhaps people would not be so bothered if, for example, they received their drink on the rocks, when they ordered it straight up occasion.

With that in mind, I must confess of being guilty of doing just that. In an earlier post, I bemoaned the fact that there was no Beatles dance party. I mentioned this to John on the last night, and he explained to me some of the issues that have to be taken into account in planning these events. Let's just say that it is not a simple matter of plugging event A into timeslot B in venue C. 

So I would like to amend what I said in post #139:

While I am a bit disappointed that there is no Beatles dance party, I am very appreciative of all the great entertainment and events throughout this cruise. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

You deserve the golden sombrero award for your efforts

Z and TB, 

I will wear the virtual golden sombrero with pride! 

BTW, if memory serves, you had asked me about SAS early on, am I remembering that correctly, (I often don't). Anything in particular that I should be on the lookout for, I tend to be oblivious of details at times, or are you just interested in general impressions? 

Are you planning on travel, perhaps on a cruise? Please say yes. 

10 minutes ago, boblerm said:

Gerry, it will be so great to put a face and voice to the names that I have been reading all these years!

Exactly Bob - you and Jeannie, Jackie and Dennis, Sheila and Herb - the list is long (42 names and not finished yet!)  I can't wait but will have to.  We leave here for Zürich on 6 March, then SFO on the nonstop and to Carmel for some R&R before showing up in San Diego on 12 March.  14th will be here soon but not soon enough for me!

Back to Tartare - I think chefs here would faint at the idea of putting it in a sauce (here the mustard, if you want it, goes into the tartare along with cognac etc to make it spicy) or of putting caviar on it.   I love tartare and will see if they will make me a spicy one with no garnishes and only toasts or frites with it!  (Do they have frites?   I suppose they must...)

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

I love tartare and will see if they will make me a spicy one with no garnishes and only toasts or frites with it!  (Do they have frites?   I suppose they must...)

Gerry, it is Regent! Would be sho if they said no! 

would like to pick up with the evening of Sunday, 18 August, the day that we were in Haugesund.
We went to Krew Kapers, always a packed house, and always a blast.

20190818_181736-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.d47c14bff96210f2b7df14d525669017.jpg

20190818_182644-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.7e61d298588761032ab9c6ecccaac99e.jpg

20190818_183516-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.98d0496e007b0d180c691c9a7d73335a.jpg

Dinner was in CR last night; we had missed the Miso Glazed Sea Bass when it was offered as we had a specialty that night.  So we pre-ordered it 2 days ago, as well as an appetizer that we loved earlier, the Planko Crusted Shrimp.

20190818_200758-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.2adea3ff8bb4e12a603aa567a57a2762.jpg

There is a difference between the one here from last night and the earlier one (hint: 3>2)

Another app- lobster risotto.  I searched far and wide for lobster, and was able to identify some perhaps the size of sesame seeds.  Mighty tasty though

20190818_202039-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.1d8c490e3962b76c18c3c18c54ab85de.jpg

The renowned Miso Glazed Sea Bass

20190818_203811-3024x1470.thumb.jpg.7e14811a52db50ba7d853815831ac754.jpg

I had the Miso Glazed Cod in Pacific Rim earlier in the cruise, and IMHO, this one is far superior.

And I can positively, absolutely, undeniably and reliably certify that we had no dessert.
No lie.

You may recall that several nights ago we watched, or more accurately , one of us watched, and one of us pretty much slept through a performance by Kym Purling.  That performance was of popular music accompanied by the 7 members of the Regent Signature Orchestra.  On this night, it was a jazz performance accompanied by the bass player and percussionist.  As I was unable to stay awake for the first show, and am not a huge jazz fan, we considered whether we should skip it.  But this is not our MO while cruising, we pretty much make all the shows. So we did attend.  And so very glad we did, I not only stayed awake, I loved the show.  It was popular and show music set to very creative jazz interpretations.  But best of all, the maestro unselfishly allowed his accompanists to showcase their talents.  Bravo!

20190818_180518-3024x1470.jpg

• Like 1

Bob

This is one of the best blogs ever. Every photo of your journey is precious. The scenery is spectacular, the foodies incredible and the photographer sensational. 

Cant wait to meet you and Jeanne, in person in March. Same goes for Gerry and Ken. Old sea-faring friends, including Maria and Bob and Jackie and Dennis, will be fun to see again. 

I know I have missed others that I really want to meet, as well. 

I think we need more than 16 days for it all. 

Sheila and Herb

Bob-  one reason the Miso Glazed Sea Bass in Compass Rose is better than in Pacific Rim is because Pacific Rim serves Miso Glazed Black Cod:classic_biggrin:

I also am really looking forward to seeing/meeting people on Splendor in March.  I probably know more people on that cruise than on any of our previous cruises!

Yesterday we were in Gothenburg, which is in Sweden.  A shame, as I have just now become fluent inNorwegian.     Oh well.

Stating this as gently as I can, Gothenburg is not one of the most compelling cities that I have visited.  There were some things that I found interesting, but they were few and far between.

The crown jewel here, as best as I can tell, is the botanical gardens, which we loved.  I would have preferred to spend the afternoon here if I could have.  Unfortunately, shortly after we arrived, the skies opened up, making for less than ideal conditions for touring.  

_DFC0491.thumb.jpg.32c49167624e741cf3892f0f7b434156.jpg

_DFC0460.thumb.jpg.57b99d280575d110f7aeca6a5eb51edd.jpg

_DFC0496.thumb.jpg.cd4443d846ac58e3b6033608d89ee38c.jpg

_DFC0501.thumb.jpg.e3cd844ed69affaba181909ddbe0cc2e.jpg

_DFC0535.thumb.jpg.626e3791a01a2077a3385b813d83e59f.jpg

_DFC0537.thumb.jpg.76984ebe041ce54cd66e54608ab16aa8.jpg

_DFC0558.thumb.jpg.d1605390f0d81cd9f7fdff4ea42c5deb.jpg

As a “bonus”, on the way back to the ship we were treated to Gothenburg Gridlock when the Volvo workers are let out of work.  Here’s a first for me- the traffic was just horrible, and one of our fellow passengers looked at the map app on his phone, and informed the tour guide that there was a better route back to the ship with less traffic.  She informed the driver, and we were able to spend that much more time sipping a cocktail in Observation Lounge rather than on a @#$%^& bus.  I looked for the gentleman to thank him, but couldn’t locate him, but 3 cheers for him.

IN CR last night, apps of Crab Salad and Foie Gras Ravioli.

1060428766_20190819_194756-3024x1470copy.thumb.jpg.5906c3fee76e413dd74d628a982189bf.jpg

114279104_20190819_194813-3024x1470copy.thumb.jpg.9eb2154ac804532c6d31ec6053a0eac7.jpg

I was faced with a dilemma for entree..  I was planning on ordering lobster tails, and was daydreaming about them all day.  But on the menu was wiener schnitzel, which I love.  So what is a fellow to do?  Make the hard choice, or be a little piggy and order both?  Actually ,not such a difficult choice.

1817422489_20190819_202410-3024x1470copy.thumb.jpg.eb6d315409a39bca2be48e49a8477700.jpg

The show was an encore performance by the master cellist Elena Bosworth, who, as it turns out, is the wife of assistant cruise director, Evan Bosworth, who is great singer.  They did a show together.  I say- no fair having that much talent in one family!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, boblerm said:

Z and TB, 

I will wear the virtual golden sombrero with pride! 

BTW, if memory serves, you had asked me about SAS early on, am I remembering that correctly, (I often don't). Anything in particular that I should be on the lookout for, I tend to be oblivious of details at times, or are you just interested in general impressions? 

Are you planning on travel, perhaps on a cruise? Please say yes. 

Yep, I did ask about SAS regarding how was the flight which you answered for us. 

Unfortunately, we’ve had to cut back on our cruising for the next two years due to having to go to a wedding, a graduation, and Yankee Stadium next year. I also lost a third of my vacation time since I switched companies to one who recently won a five year contract with Uncle Sam.  We are now on a 10-day western Carib in Mar 2020 and 15-day Miami to NYC in May of 2021. Less expensive and we can do some more land trips. 

Sorry to see your cruise come to an end. We have thoroughly enjoyed your narrative and great sense of humor. 

Z and TB

7 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

I also lost a third of my vacation time since I switched companies to one who recently won a five year contract with Uncle Sam.  We are now on a 10-day western Carib in Mar 2020 and 15-day Miami to NYC in May of 2021.

Z, sorry about the loss of vacation time but along with your other fans are looking forward to hearing about your upcoming cruises.

Z - you will probably be in the Western Caribbean when the rest of us are going through the Canal and up to Miami via the Caymans ?   We can wave from the ship!!    I for one will miss more blogs from you!  But suppose I shall have to settle for what I can get!

Bob - the Schnitzel looks great and was that German potato salad I saw in the little bowl?  Yum!

Am in the lounge at the Oslo airport now awaiting our flight to Liberty/Newark.  We had a fantastic day in Oslo yesterday, will provide some info from the other side of the pond.

As it turned out, this report has been quite a bit less “sorta” than originally anticipated in the sense that I think that time allowed me to convey most of what I wanted to in regard to our on board activities, food, events, etc.  I do feel that I have given short shrift in regard to sharing the sights of the amazing places that we have visited.  Accordingly, because I wish to be a man of my word as mentioned in the first post, and, quite frankly, because I think that it will help to maintain the vacation frame of mind for a bit longer, here is the plan- after I get home I will post a recap/ review , although I don’t think there will be much suspense as to the bottom line☺️.  Over the following days, will share some more of the sights and provide a bit more info about them.

I would just like to clarify one thing- sometimes I fear that my lame attempts at irony can squash the point I am trying to make.  I forget at times that not everyone thinks like me, and among those that do, neither one is a member of Cruise Critic.  So to be clear, when I complain bitterly about something like stale pretzels, it is not so much of a complaint, as my not-so-cutesy way of saying, “if this is the worst, the very worst thing that I can find to say about this trip, we are talking about quite a doozy of a cruise experience here”.  Truly, I can live without the pretzels.

Can’t believe I just said that.

• Like 3

Bob, I hope you and Jeanie got home safely. I certainly enjoy your ironic comments. My husband and I often make similar ones while we are on Regent. We feel so fortunate to be able to take these wonderful trips that stale pretzels, chips or even the occasional slow service does not deter us from enjoying every minute of our trip. Enjoyed your report very much. It is a wonderful itinerary. Thank you.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, boblerm said:

I would just like to clarify one thing- sometimes I fear that my lame attempts at irony can squash the point I am trying to make.  I forget at times that not everyone thinks like me, and among those that do, neither one is a member of Cruise Critic.  So to be clear, when I complain bitterly about something like stale pretzels, it is not so much of a complaint, as my not-so-cutesy way of saying, “if this is the worst, the very worst thing that I can find to say about this trip, we are talking about quite a doozy of a cruise experience here”.  Truly, I can live without the pretzels.

Boblerm - I, for one, enjoy your writing style very much and have devoured your blog.  As a fellow victim of readers not understanding irony or jokes, I empathize with you in that regard.  I have found (not to encourage stereotyping, but to recognize that sometimes stereotypes are based on reality) that Brits appreciate irony and dry (even cynical) humor more than many Americans seem to be able to do.  CC readers and posters can become a bit (or more than a bit) too literal and sincere with respect to comments made, with the result that disputes arise and feelings are hurt.  In any event, thanks for taking us along for the splash.

• Like 1