Hormuz Strait

34 minutes ago, Wanderingsascent said:

Our cruise from Malta to Dubai has been cancelled by P and O because of the troubles in Hormuz.

MSC is offering some compensation for P&O cruisers. Most likely on their UK MSC website.

Related post

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2685976-dubai-cruises/

Edited by mef_57
link to related post

• 3 weeks later...

Can I ask if other cruise passing through the Hormuz Straight are going ahead for this season (as yet anyway).

We are due to disembark in Dubai from a Fred Olsen ship in February and will need to confirm our flights in the autumn, (which we have booked with an agent who is arranging our pre cruise tour/stay).  I know Fred has British passengers in the main, but maybe not so much a target as P&O.

On 8/25/2019 at 8:43 AM, tring said:

Can I ask if other cruise passing through the Hormuz Straight are going ahead for this season (as yet anyway).

We are due to disembark in Dubai from a Fred Olsen ship in February and will need to confirm our flights in the autumn, (which we have booked with an agent who is arranging our pre cruise tour/stay).  I know Fred has British passengers in the main, but maybe not so much a target as P&O.

Only Fred can tell you. The only line I know of who cancelled for 2020 is P&O.  Does Fred OIsen fly a UK flag?  That might be the deciding factor as well, as it seems to currently be a Britain/Iran political situation decision. 

In my opinion, this is a time that would benefit from travel insurance...that will cover 'failure of provision of services' sort of thing.

59 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

Only Fred can tell you. The only line I know of who cancelled for 2020 is P&O.  Does Fred OIsen fly a UK flag?  That might be the deciding factor as well, as it seems to currently be a Britain/Iran political situation decision. 

In my opinion, this is a time that would benefit from travel insurance...that will cover 'failure of provision of services' sort of thing.

Thanks for the reply.

That's pretty much what I thought as could not find any refs to other cancellations.  Fred is not as obviously British as P&O as they do not have that flag painted on their bow, would not be doing a regular route and are Norwegian owned.   I do not see any changes until nearer the time.  P&O have not cancelled their call on the World cruise in the spring (as yet).  We have been away for 2.5 weeks though and  I know a number of companies were sailing out of Dubai this winter, so not sure what we may have missed in the way of any other cancellations.

In the UK we do have a certain legal protection in that if the start or finish point of a cruise changes or other 'major' change we can cancel with full refund, though most companies would give that option anyway.  We personally have disruption insurance which is well worth having if anything goes wrong with our plans i.e. one element is cancelled or changed.  To be honest being dropped at Muscat, (which is the only other realistic option for change over), would not bother us at all as we can have some time there before flying to Dubai to pick up our flight four days later. If we know sooner though, we may be able to alter our existing flight to include a return from Muscat to Dubai in the same journey with Emirates, otherwise we would want to spend at least a night in Dubai to make sure we do not miss the plane home. 

12 minutes ago, tring said:

Thanks for the reply.

That's pretty much what I thought as could not find any refs to other cancellations.  Fred is not as obviously British as P&O as they do not have that flag painted on their bow, would not be doing a regular route and are Norwegian owned.   I do not see any changes until nearer the time.  P&O have not cancelled their call on the World cruise in the spring (as yet).  We have been away for 2.5 weeks though and  I know a number of companies were sailing out of Dubai this winter, so not sure what we may have missed in the way of any other cancellations.

In the UK we do have a certain legal protection in that if the start or finish point of a cruise changes or other 'major' change we can cancel with full refund, though most companies would give that option anyway.  We personally have disruption insurance which is well worth having if anything goes wrong with our plans i.e. one element is cancelled or changed.  To be honest being dropped at Muscat, (which is the only other realistic option for change over), would not bother us at all as we can have some time there before flying to Dubai to pick up our flight four days later. If we know sooner though, we may be able to alter our existing flight to include a return from Muscat to Dubai in the same journey with Emirates, otherwise we would want to spend at least a night in Dubai to make sure we do not miss the plane home. 

I have an MSC repositioning cruise in April from Dubai to Venice, so for me a slightly bigger impact.  I would be prepared to board in Muscat as it is on our itinerary . If plans change, I might keep my flight to Dubai but then a local flight or bus to Muscat to start the cruise. If they bail out totally, then I am in a bigger pickle as far as flights and changes, but that's part of the 'spin the wheel' of travel.

As mentioned above, MSC has committed to the Spring sailings, and for normal safety precautions they already have extra security through the Strait and the Suez so unless things get really unstable again in the region, I'll cross my fingers and accept it as a 'go'.

7 hours ago, mef_57 said:

I have an MSC repositioning cruise in April from Dubai to Venice, so for me a slightly bigger impact.  I would be prepared to board in Muscat as it is on our itinerary . If plans change, I might keep my flight to Dubai but then a local flight or bus to Muscat to start the cruise. If they bail out totally, then I am in a bigger pickle as far as flights and changes, but that's part of the 'spin the wheel' of travel.

As mentioned above, MSC has committed to the Spring sailings, and for normal safety precautions they already have extra security through the Strait and the Suez so unless things get really unstable again in the region, I'll cross my fingers and accept it as a 'go'.

Ducking out would not be a good outcome for MSC I suspect - P&O are now trying to sell cruises from the UK are pretty low prices to replace their gulf ones.

Thinking on it they always have to take precautions through Suez, so not as though extra security in the gulf would be unprecedented, and if MSC are already making plans for security it sounds optimistic.  The political situation is beginning to sound as though things may just settle as well.

Good luck, hope all goes well for you.,

Barbara 

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 10:43 PM, tring said:

Our cruise on the Sapphire Princess in November this year is still going ahead.

• Like 1