WiFi in French Polynesia

BeardedGuy

Best bet is to get a SIM card either at Vodaphone or Vini when you get to Tahiti. 2GB for about 60$ and you can top-up with a recharge card. Staff at these stores speak anglais and will install the card for you. Works on all the islands. Local cafes may have internet/wifi but they may not (island time :-) ). We were there in July (18 days) and it was fine (Hotmail/Facebook). Don't expect to send large amount of Data (video) or watch movies.

Here is one link: http://www.vini.pf/mobile/international/vini-travel-card

And it is also available for purchase onboard Air Tahiti NUI (if it's your airline).

As you can see, the French Polynesian Franc (FCFP or XPF) is similar to the US$ - just delete the last 2 numbers ie 5300XPF = 53$

Have Fun :-)

Vini.thumb.jpg.38eba6136c6bd4fab129ee935f53c457.jpg

Another alternative is Tahiti Wifi....also works on all the islands except the Tuamotus.

https://www.tahitiwifi.com/polynesia.html

You pick up a router right at the Faaa airport and drop off at same on your way home. Open 5am-12am. (stayed late for us as our flight was late) Can't tell you what it would run for your 10 days but we got 21 day deal for $160.

6 hours ago, BeardedGuy said:

We are going on 10 day Tahiti and the Tuamotus in about two weeks. Is there free wifi in local cafes/markets etc?

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, BeardedGuy said:

We are going on 10 day Tahiti and the Tuamotus in about two weeks. Is there free wifi in local cafes/markets etc?

In my experience, overall the islands aren't littered with cafes and markets.  The few that do exist outside of Papeete didn't have free WiFi available.  You'll want to get some sort of SIM card or portable hotspot.

Thank you all for your input. I'm not a "techie", and I don't plan to watch movies, download songs, etc. I just want to be able to check e-mail and texts (send and receive) - no phone calls except in dire emergency. I have an iPhone SE and a Kindle Fire.  Since I don't want to pay ATT's exorbitant rates, other than renting the router, is there anything else I need to know/do?

I just got back from French Polynesia a couple of months ago. I have T-mobile, and my wife has ATT.  We had coverage everywhere even in remote Atolls.  Internet in French Polynesia is not fast anywhere.

All solutions and info above,is very good.  Just depends on what works best for you.  

Enjoy your trip. 

7 hours ago, BeardedGuy said:

Thank you all for your input. I'm not a "techie", and I don't plan to watch movies, download songs, etc. I just want to be able to check e-mail and texts (send and receive) - no phone calls except in dire emergency. I have an iPhone SE and a Kindle Fire.  Since I don't want to pay ATT's exorbitant rates, other than renting the router, is there anything else I need to know/do?

If you do happen to go with Tahiti Wifi their rates for a router right now are even better than what we got.

- 3.90EU/day gets 250mb/day in high speed then lower speed 2G, 12h battery life
- 7.90EU/day gets 500 Mb/day in high speed then lower speed 2G, 12h battery life
- 10.90EU/day gets 1Gb/day in high speed then lower speed 2G, 18h battery life plus a SIM card (only local calls)

The first would probably suit your needs fine if it works price wise.

So cheap makes me want to do Wind Spirit again.