Do you tip Marella staff?

27 minutes ago, nancyneptune said:

.........or more likely charge the customer an unknown amount and pay the crew a penny.  Profit before people with Tui now

Either way the crew get stiffed ,if the mythical tips was a reasonable amount then its being used as salary ,if its miniscule they lose out because most people think they have already paid them ,cabin staff tend to get the biggest % of passengers tipping ,bar staff/waiters often nothing or maybe only £5-£10  a week ,occasionly some do ok but thats a rarity.

Salary has really nothing to do with Marella anyway ,its down to the employers Appollo ,they are not the best payers or the worst.

Any of the crew who moved over from Spirit to Marella/Appollo took a good hit in salary ,also for their first contract they had to pay their own costs to join the ship  ,up to about £800 airfare, then their uniform deposit, then a substantial deposit on the remote order terminal (on the ships that use them),bye bye first months salary.

57 minutes ago, Britboys said:
  • So are almost all the staff on Marella contracted out?  I knew the entertainment staff are all employed by Peel Productions but hadn't thought about hotel/catering staff.

Basically yes , Hotel side is run by Apollo group ,Technical side i think Columbia ship management now serves all the Marella fleet , all the entertainment and their support staff are bought as a package from Peel or for the Explorers i think the company is called Ted ,all the shops are franchised ,about the only Marella direct employees are the general manager and destination services , if im wrong anywhere someone will enlighten us

• Thanks 1

Marella tips included system has now been adopted by P&O, apparently because so many customers were cancelling the suggested daily charge. Tip on Marella if you want but don't think it is required. don't have a guilty conscience if you don't tip, after all it says no need to tip on your cruise card.

On 8/10/2019 at 6:01 PM, Britboys said:
  • So are almost all the staff on Marella contracted out?  I knew the entertainment staff are all employed by Peel Productions but hadn't thought about hotel/catering staff.

Yes very few are actually employed by Tui / Marella. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2019 at 12:50 PM, davecttr said:

Marella tips included system has now been adopted by P&O, apparently because so many customers were cancelling the suggested daily charge. Tip on Marella if you want but don't think it is required. don't have a guilty conscience if you don't tip, after all it says no need to tip on your cruise card.

What it says on the card is what really annoys me , until they come clean and state how much to who i will still class them as a set of underhand b******s.

As for P & O ,they say when its included salaries wont change and the cruise price wont go up to cover it , if anybody believes that they are in cuckoo land ,nobody will know the price has gone up as there is no such thing as a set price ,like every other company prices are fluid, or do people think they are going to take a hit of over £1/2 million a week covering the lost gratuities out of their own pocket. Does anyone know any P & O staff well to find out if the salaries increased when the grats went from £5 to £6 then £7 pp a day or did it just go in the company coffers.

Hi Okavango.

as said earlier in this topic it would be interesting to find out what percentage Marella say is allocated to gratuity’s for staff seeing that the cruise is sold as tips included. Also your insider knowledge with staff gives food for thought. I think a fairer system all round would be to charge all passengers something like £20 per week which would be distributed among the staff that are not in the public veiw and tip those that are visible (bar staff,waiters,room stewards )depending  on service levels provided.

keep well.