Paul Gauguin sold (kind off)

dandee2

• 1 month later...

My wife and I just received a survey from Paul Gauguin, with lots of questions about perception of Paul Gauguin and also similar questions about perception of Ponant. One series of questions asked how likely and at what price you would be to book a French Polynesia cruise with Ponant and another series of the exact same questions about Paul Gauguin. Seems like they are trying to evaluate the brand reputation of PG vs Ponant.

3 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I did the survey yesterday.  Interesting, although since I know so little about Ponant, some questions I just couldn't answer properly.

Same here. 

Given that a couple of questions were worded somewhat awkwardly (like a poor translation), I am assuming this questionnaire may have been initiated by Ponant to gauge how their brand is perceived by Paul Gauguin's customer base. It sounded a lot like some of the questions a company I used to work for would have asked when we were working on an acquisition and trying to consider how their customers viewed our brand.

I know they said in the announcement that PG would be operated independently, but companies often say that in the immediate, initial announcement, only to merge operations and eliminate the other brand after a transition period.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

The scuttle butt as of yesterday was 'staying much the same and they are going to promote the brand'.

PG, because of the incredible crew is a 'brand' and you wouldn't want to eliminate that.

Totally agree with the sentiment that I hope it doesn't change.

Some of the questions in the survey though, lead me to believe that Ponant is at least trying to gauge the strength of the PG brand versus their own. Hopefully, the survey will educate them that PG has a great brand that they shouldn't mess with too much. But sometimes companies have tunnel vision about their own brand and make mistakes. Hopefully they won't make that mistake.

Oh my I do hope they keep the special feeling and touches that make this line and respect the area PG sails. 

We have celebrated several anniversaries on board and are looking forward in two years to celebrate our # 50 on board.

Our first was the year Renaissance cruise line left their ships and staff were helped by P&G some got jobs on board others helped to get home. The ships were sitting at the side of a dock abandoned.

Hope they keep the included airfare it certainly helps in planning.  

On 9/17/2019 at 10:35 AM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

The scuttle butt as of yesterday was 'staying much the same and they are going to promote the brand'.

PG, because of the incredible crew is a 'brand' and you wouldn't want to eliminate that.

Did you hear this from PG or Ponant?

After a change like a take over things are in flux even when the same staff are maintained. Witness the Oceanization of Regent or the Edieization of Crystal with an about face after she went to Ponant.  Ultimately he who pays the piper calls the tune. I am therefore in wait and see mode and hope all goes well for our wonderful PG family.

Only after Motu gave me the go ahead did I return to the PG in 2011 and I look forward to a similar heads up from him. That being said am planning to be on the 2021 reunion. 

9 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Still planning on being on-board 4 times over the next 2 years. Looking forward to enjoying time with our 'extended' family. (the magnificent crew)

That is a nice plus..the crew I mean and certainly draws us back. But the long journey in economy is too tough and business costs have increased substantially. 

On another note I have really bonded with crews on other lines too and unfortunately the PG only sails in certain waters.

You didn't advise whether the scuttlebutt came from Ponant or the PG.