Which Hop On Hop Off - Barcelona?

phabric

We will in Barcelona Oct 27 off of the Sky Princess.

We plan on taking a taxi from the port to Sagrada Familia and then take the HOHO around then take HOHO back to the ship.

I can purchase the HOHO in CDN$ and save $ before we leave from www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com.

They show 2 HOHO companies at the same price.

- Barcelona City Sighting Bus Turistic, a multi colored bus with 3 routes, 40 stops

- Barcelona City Tour - HOHO, a red bus with 2 routes, 30 stops

They probably do the same routes.

Is one HOHO better than the other?

Yes. We used both and found the commentary on the red City Sightseeing bus far superior. Both buses follow a similar route but managing your sightseeing is easier with just the two routes. Both companies have heaps of buses. The most we waited was about 10 minutes but there was a line at Sagrada Familia.

For one day and limited time I'd also do the red bus.

I'm presuming of course that you are not planning on getting off at any/many stops. Some of the stops, like the park are a hike up the hill and are not adjacent to the HOHO stop. There is also a short walk to the entry to the Olympic Stadium and museum.

Do try to pre-plan any stops by scouring the itinerary for the tour.

Also check the time the bus stops service. It used to be around 6 but the cruise pier stop might not fit in well with your embarkation time.

Have a wonderful time. Barcelona is a terrific city.

I also would recommend the red City Sightseeing bus. They are privately owned. No reason to pre-purchase as you can buy at one of their kiosks or as you hop on. If you're a senior ask for their discount.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 12:42 AM, mapleleaves said:

Their web site indicates 2 hrs for each route :

https://barcelona.city-tour.com/en/tourist-bus-routes-barcelona

We just did both routes yesterday (a Saturday), it probably took a little more than two hours of actual DRIVING time for each route though I don't have the exact time because it took us much longer than four hours to complete both loops -- our first transfer took at least half an hour and we took a break for a long lunch.  We started with the orange route from Plaça d'Espanya then transferred to the green route at Plaça Catalunya (stop 1 on both routes), which was a big mistake because we had to wait in line in the sun for about 25 minutes to board then the bus waited before departing.  When we switched back to the orange line later in the afternoon we did it at La Pedrera without delay, though the bus did idle for several minutes at Plaça d'Espanya.

The green route to the East side of the city was much more crowded than the orange route to the West side of the city. 

5 hours ago, phabric said:

I have a 10:30am entrance time for Sagrada Familia.  I am not sure how long the HOHO takes to get there or how busy it will be on a Sunday, that is why I plan on a taxi.

That is a good call and it is how I would do it too.  The port is stop 5 on the orange line while the Sagrada Familia is stop 11 on the green line so I don't see how you would make it to Sagrada Familia for your entrance time.