WIne Package On Grand Princess

grak

18 minutes ago, grak said:

Can anyone tell me the cost of a wine package...how many bottles, etc. I’d appreciate any info. Thanks!

Here are the fleetwide prices & generally they’re available on cruises of 10 or more days.  I always purchase it from our dining room waitstaff so they’ll get the benefit for selling it.

On the Royal in April I was able to purchase a wine package on a 7-day cruise but don’t know if that’s a fleetwide change.  You get a punch card which can be used in any dining room but can be consumed anywhere onboard.  If you want a wine that’s over $45 you pay the extra amount.

Gold Package (wines up to $45 per bottle list price)

7 bottles -- $217 (average of $31 per bottle)

10 bottles -- $290 (average of $29 per bottle)

12 bottles -- $336 (average of $28 per bottle)

Edited by Astro Flyer

7 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Here are the fleetwide prices & generally they’re available on cruises of 10 or more days.  I always purchase it from our dining room waitstaff so they’ll get the benefit for selling it.

On the Royal in April I was able to purchase a wine package on a 7-day cruise but don’t know if that’s a fleetwide change.  You get a punch card which can be used in any dining room but can be consumed anywhere onboard.  If you want a wine that’s over $45 you pay the extra amount.

Ū

Are those prices with or without the 18%?

Thanks

11 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

You’re welcome & here’s their new wine list...it’s a cruise long wine tasting for us. 🍷🍷

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/Wine-Menu.pdf

Is this the same wine menu that is used in (can't remember what they call the place) but on plaza deck where you sit and drink wine near atrium area?  Or does that have a different selection?

Also, the new wine menu has some fantastic wines on it.  I  might have to spend a chunk of my OBC for a really good bottle to enjoy.

I understand wine packages are only offered on cruises of 10 days or more.  If a 14-day cruise (one booking number) can also be purchased as 2 separate 7-day cruises,  are packages available then?  If yes, would the packages also be available to the 7-day passengers?

It’s worth noting that the wine package does not work in Vines or at any of the bars/lounges/theater. If you want wine outside of the MDR/Crown grill/Sabatinis  etc you’ll have to take bottles with you from the MDR to your room. Then you can pour a glass in your room and take it with you.

This makes it inconvenient if you like to have wine in one of the lounges.  

The bottles do not have the stickers on them. I have been taking bottles to the sanctuary and they don’t care about whether it has a sticker. 

I am currently on the Grand in Skagway with pretty poor connectivity. But they are also selling the Silver package. (The one described above is the gold package.) 

some have reported the Silver is no longer available but it is being sold on my cruise. I can’t get the picture of my wine card to upload. Silver includes wine up to $31 and costs $240 for 12 bottles, $210 for 10 and $161 for 7 plus 18% gratuity. 

If a bottle costs more more than the package allowance you only pay the difference. 

4 hours ago, Knickearth said:

Is this the same wine menu that is used in (can't remember what they call the place) but on plaza deck where you sit and drink wine near atrium area?  Or does that have a different selection?

Also, the new wine menu has some fantastic wines on it.  I  might have to spend a chunk of my OBC for a really good bottle to enjoy.

I don’t have a wine list for Vines since the new wines became available this year but previously they had some from this MDR wine list plus some additional wines.  Sabatini’s also had some other wines & being a dining area can use the wine package.  But it’s not usable to get a bottle from Vines because the package isn’t valid from bars or room service...only from dining areas.  You could take a bottle from a dining area to drink anywhere & had MDR waitstaff offer to have a bottle delivered to my cabin.

I usually have enough OBC to pay for my wine package so it doesn’t cost me extra to enjoy it. 🍷

Edited by Astro Flyer

2 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

I understand wine packages are only offered on cruises of 10 days or more.  If a 14-day cruise (one booking number) can also be purchased as 2 separate 7-day cruises,  are packages available then?  If yes, would the packages also be available to the 7-day passengers?

On the Royal in April I was able to purchase a wine package on a 7-day cruise but don’t know if that’s a fleetwide change.

We booked B2B 7-day cruises which was the only way to book the 14 days & were able to purchase a wine package on the first cruise that was valid on both 7-day cruises.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I am currently on the Grand in Skagway with pretty poor connectivity. But they are also selling the Silver package. (The one described above is the gold package.) 

some have reported the Silver is no longer available but it is being sold on my cruise.

I’m surprised they’re selling the Silver package because there are no wines on the new MDR wine list that are $31 or less which is the Silver’s maximum value.  Thus every bottle has an additional cost but maybe that’s still cost effective for some passengers instead of the more expensive Gold package with wines up to $45.

6 minutes ago, knbcruisers said:

We don’t always eat in the MDR, so I take my wine with me to Buffett or to the lounge prior to dining.  In theory could I buy several or all of the bottles at one time to be sent to my room so I’d have them available? 

You can get as many bottles as desired at one time using the wine package from a dining venue to take anywhere onboard because it was purchased from Princess.

Once our MDR waitstaff offered to deliver a couple of bottles to our cabin but don’t know if that’s routinely done.  We planned to carry them to our cabin but accepted their offer to deliver them.  I’ve read posts that the wine package is available in the buffet however delivery can be slower than in a dining room.

Thanks that is good to know, we are on a 7 day in March, I wish it was available . Much easier than finding time to buy 6-10 bottles in SF and then get it to the ship. We drive to FLL so I have my wine packed days ahead of time 😁

46 minutes ago, knbcruisers said:

Thanks that is good to know, we are on a 7 day in March, I wish it was available . Much easier than finding time to buy 6-10 bottles in SF and then get it to the ship. We drive to FLL so I have my wine packed days ahead of time 😁

The uncertainty about availability is frustrating & to me Princess has always poorly managed their wine packages.  It’s not promoted on their website & little promotion onboard...word of mouth is a poor way to manage the wine packages.

We drove to the Port of LA & decided to bring our bottle per person for each cruise (4) and hope for a wine package which fortunately was available on our B2B 7-day cruises.   Our maître d’ said he never understood why Princess did not offer wine packages on 7 day cruises however there’s no way to know if that is fleetwide or was only on our Royal Princess cruise. 😟

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

I’m surprised they’re selling the Silver package because there are no wines on the new MDR wine list that are $31 or less which is the Silver’s maximum value.  Thus every bottle has an additional cost but maybe that’s still cost effective for some passengers instead of the more expensive Gold package with wines up to $45.

My waiter in Club Class on the Grand last week specifically said the Silver package had been discontinued, and that at some point both packages are set to be replaced. Only the Gold was available. Weird that you're finding the Silver available on the sailing right after ours...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dani24 said:

My waiter in Club Class on the Grand last week specifically said the Silver package had been discontinued, and that at some point both packages are set to be replaced. Only the Gold was available. Weird that you're finding the Silver available on the sailing right after ours...

I didn’t have the Silver package available on the Royal in April which HaveDogWillTravel reported being available on the Grand.  On the Royal the Silver package wasn’t listed as an option on the wine package’s card & only Gold.

Thanks for the information that they’ll eventually be replaced...hopefully wine packages will be promoted on their website & be available on all cruises of 7 days or longer. 🙂

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

We have found the gold package to be of decent value.  Most recently on the Regal in April. I am a table wine drinker of reds and have been generally pleased with the variety.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, knbcruisers said:

If you are boarding in San Francisco , the Ferry Building is close by and you will find some great wine choices.

6 hours ago, Dani24 said:

Yes my card has both packages listed  on it. They circled gold when I told them I preferred that to silver. I’d post a picture but I can’t get it to upload. 

I am in club class too and bought it from Ramon. Did your card have the silver package listed as well as gold? It is weird that I was given a choice and you weren’t. Oh well I guess you just roll with whatever you happen to get when you board. 

We’ve had outstanding weather and the seas were the smoothest our of SF that I’ve ever experienced. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel

12 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Yes my card has both packages listed  on it. They circled gold when I told them I preferred that to silver. I’d post a picture but I can’t get it to upload. 

I am in club class too and bought it from Ramon. Did your card have the silver package listed as well as gold? It is weird that I was given a choice and you weren’t. Oh well I guess you just roll with whatever you happen to get when you board. 

We’ve had outstanding weather and the seas were the smoothest our of SF that I’ve ever experienced. 

Ramon was one of our waiters too! Do you have Alberto as well? If so tell him Danielle Jonathan and Daphne from the last cruise (we had the little redheaded daughter) said "hi" and we miss them! Same for Giovanni. He called our daughter "Capelli Rossi". Giovanni makes the best "special" dishes. 🙂

Anyway, Alberto was the one who brought us the info on the wine package. The card still lists the silver. I took a picture of it. But Alberto explained that the Silver package was actually no longer available, and that they'd be coming out with something new soon (but there was no word when yet). He said the new program should have tiers, but for now only Gold was available. We didn't end up purchasing.

IMG_20190726_180006_1.jpg

Edited by Dani24

On 8/9/2019 at 12:32 PM, Astro Flyer said:

But it’s not usable to get a bottle from Vines because the package isn’t valid from bars or room service...only from dining areas.

If there was a bottle I wanted, I would ask the DR waiter to get it.  Although, I am not sure what wine is exclusive to Vines by the bottle, but as an example, we dined in Sabatini Trattoria on a first night 2-for-1 and I ordered a bottle from the main wine menu as opposed to the specialty Italian wine menu they present.  I would think one could order any available bottle on the ship from any of the dining establishments with a nice request.

I wanted to come back and update what I was told about the silver package by a different CC waiter last night. I was told even though the card had the silver package on it they weren’t selling it. I think my waiter on the first day was not informed. I should have suspected as much since he also said I could use it in Vines, which is not true. Sorry for spreading wrong information. 

• Thanks 1