Past Passenger Party

lottiegreen56

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

There is a greater chance of FTTF pay option staying and it going away as a perk.......

I would be more pissed off if they took away free laundry for diamonds and plats. Before my boys were plats, I would always waste the last morning doing their laundry so no one had to worry about it when they got home. I know they're grown but I don't get to baby them every day!

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

There is a greater chance of FTTF pay option staying and it going away as a perk.......

Classic they Would take the perk away and sell FTTF to everyone. Maybe offered at a better price to higher vifp’s.

7 hours ago, Port of Tampa said:

I say keep the party for platinum and diamonds but stop diluting our perks by selling faster to the fun...you should have to earn priority boarding and debarkation not be able to buy it as a blue card holder.

No one Earns priority. You pay for and get to enjoy enough cruises and you have bought perks. FTTF pay each cruise for a few perks—on that cruise. No different really.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Classic they Would take the perk away and sell FTTF to everyone. Maybe offered at a better price to higher vifp’s.

I did not say that, did I?  The fact is that the early embarkation and access to cabins was designed for FTTF and then added to loyalty.  One brings in a good chunk of cash, the other nothing.

• Like 1

Looked at other cruise lines for their Loyalty programs and most offer more tiers with greater perks. In fact, one offered a free cruise (I am sure rules apply).  I haven't found the info, but I heard some even offer credit for pass cruises on other lines.  Carnival should make another tier with of course higher perks.  Getting on and off the ship,  Do it in time zones, example first hour - Diamond and Platinum; 2nd hour Gold..etc Making FTTF last.  Then other boarding.  Why not offer a special cruise just for Diamond and Platinum (you have to pay of course).  Why not offer credit from other cruise lines to become loyal to Carnival.   Don't take away what people already earned. It is best just have another level.  Maybe have a level that would include cruises and years of dedication to the line. Just some idea, in which I am sure most of these have already been had a pencil to them. 

1 hour ago, Diggerof4 said:

Looked at other cruise lines for their Loyalty programs and most offer more tiers with greater perks. In fact, one offered a free cruise (I am sure rules apply).  I haven't found the info, but I heard some even offer credit for pass cruises on other lines.  Carnival should make another tier with of course higher perks.  Getting on and off the ship,  Do it in time zones, example first hour - Diamond and Platinum; 2nd hour Gold..etc Making FTTF last.  Then other boarding.  Why not offer a special cruise just for Diamond and Platinum (you have to pay of course).  Why not offer credit from other cruise lines to become loyal to Carnival.   Don't take away what people already earned. It is best just have another level.  Maybe have a level that would include cruises and years of dedication to the line. Just some idea, in which I am sure most of these have already been had a pencil to them. 

To a fair degree, they already have what you ask for.  We are Diamond and can be the first off (or on).  I would LOVE a DIamond only cruise, but will not hold my breath for that to occur.  Nothing wrong with throwing out ideas tho....

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 10:15 PM, Nic6318 said:

Hi

I don't see a "past passenger" party working. The reason they limited it to start was because there were just too many people. Well now, there would be even more. They would need hold it in the theatre. I don't think that would allow for much of a party atmosphere. 

I think a few more details would be needed to even speculate.  

Well, they did do them for years....

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I did not say that, did I?  The fact is that the early embarkation and access to cabins was designed for FTTF and then added to loyalty.  One brings in a good chunk of cash, the other nothing.

Theoretically they have loyalty perks to keep us coming back so they do get something out of it or they would get rid of the whole thing

19 minutes ago, Micahs Grandad said:

Theoretically they have loyalty perks to keep us coming back so they do get something out of it or they would get rid of the whole thing

Of course it is.  When it becomes the entire ship going to it it does not work.  In regards to early cabin access it becomes the same issue, too many people.  So, do they stop it all together (At least on the loyalty side) or raise the bar in terms of who gets it. As far as FTTF goes, they PAY for it, hence my comments on why they are and will be separate decisions. 

16 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t see that ever happening. From a business perspective FTTF is a great program that generates revenue with minimal cost to run the program. There is no question in my mind Carnival’s main focus is on the blue and red cruiser, who tend to spend significantly more money than more experienced cruises. Providing perks for loyal passengers is not high on their priority list. I don’t think Carnival would worry one bit if a significant number  of Platinums and Diamonds moved on to a different cruise line and never cruised on Carnival again. 

I think you are right. I have always been amazed that from a business perspective, as Carnival Corp grew by acquiring other lines, they never adopted the old GM philosophy of creating corporate loyalty incentives to move up in quality (and price) line over line staying within the corporation. Attract the younger crowd/newer crowd (Blue and Red as you put it) and incentivize moving up in lines, price and quality as they age, gain cruising experience, and, hopefully, become more affluent. As a shareholder in Carnival Corp. the only incentive I have to stay within the corporate family of companies is the shareholder OBC. I think the current approach of every line going for the bigger and bigger ships, needing to attract more passengers each cruise to cover the overhead is actually a race to the bottom, as opposed to a clime to the top. Recognizing that some would opt to plateau prior to reaching the top, so long as the entire journey was corporately valued in a common loyalty program, I believe would generally allow the lines to maintain quality levels more easily, while at the same time creating a sustainable marker for mid-size or smaller ships at a profit. Just my opinion I realize. But I have had conversations with crew members, and received interesting feedback opinions ranging from general support of the idea, to those wanting to exclude a certain 'class' of passengers from their brand/ship.

33 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Of course it is.  When it becomes the entire ship going to it it does not work.  In regards to early cabin access it becomes the same issue, too many people.  So, do they stop it all together (At least on the loyalty side) or raise the bar in terms of who gets it. As far as FTTF goes, they PAY for it, hence my comments on why they are and will be separate decisions. 

I wonder if that is true. We all know that their preferred guest are the newbies with blue and red cards who will spend a lot more per cruise than us old folks.

They will never tell us but wonder corporate wide what percent of cruises are plats and diamonds and has that been changing?

Just now, Micahs Grandad said:

I wonder if that is true. We all know that their preferred guest are the newbies with blue and red cards who will spend a lot more per cruise than us old folks.

They will never tell us but wonder corporate wide what percent of cruises are plats and diamonds and has that been changing?

I do not know, but John addressed this on our Journey cruise on the Breeze in an open Q&A session.  His thoughts (and he specifically said these were his thoughts, not those of corporate) were that they were growing and exponentially so, and that is would have to be soon addressed.  Made total sense to me.  Not that it was normal, but on that Journey cruise there were 340 diamonds and 1800 plats.......

32 minutes ago, FiredogCruiser said:

I think you are right. I have always been amazed that from a business perspective, as Carnival Corp grew by acquiring other lines, they never adopted the old GM philosophy of creating corporate loyalty incentives to move up in quality (and price) line over line staying within the corporation. Attract the younger crowd/newer crowd (Blue and Red as you put it) and incentivize moving up in lines, price and quality as they age, gain cruising experience, and, hopefully, become more affluent. As a shareholder in Carnival Corp. the only incentive I have to stay within the corporate family of companies is the shareholder OBC. I think the current approach of every line going for the bigger and bigger ships, needing to attract more passengers each cruise to cover the overhead is actually a race to the bottom, as opposed to a clime to the top. Recognizing that some would opt to plateau prior to reaching the top, so long as the entire journey was corporately valued in a common loyalty program, I believe would generally allow the lines to maintain quality levels more easily, while at the same time creating a sustainable marker for mid-size or smaller ships at a profit. Just my opinion I realize. But I have had conversations with crew members, and received interesting feedback opinions ranging from general support of the idea, to those wanting to exclude a certain 'class' of passengers from their brand/ship.

They have tried to unify the loyalty plans, several times in fact.  There are so many anomalies in terms of attainment, recognition and more that it failed.  Royal was able to do because their number and lines are significantly smaller and more easily integrated.  

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

I do not know, but John addressed this on our Journey cruise on the Breeze in an open Q&A session.  His thoughts (and he specifically said these were his thoughts, not those of corporate) were that they were growing and exponentially so, and that is would have to be soon addressed.  Made total sense to me.  Not that it was normal, but on that Journey cruise there were 340 diamonds and 1800 plats.......

Don't you think that the Journey cruises are intentionally marketed to a different clientele, in other words aimed at the plats & diamonds?

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

New cruisers might spend more per cruise, but I believe older cruisers have more money and time to cruise more often.

While true, the demographics say otherwise.  Diamond and plat cruisers spend WAY less on a cruise then new cruisers.

Just now, FiredogCruiser said:

Don't you think that the Journey cruises are intentionally marketed to a different clientele, in other words aimed at the plats & diamonds?

It is an anomaly, for sure.... I was trying to show the extreme.  That said on our most recent cruise there were 15 diamonds and just shy of 240 plats.....these numbers continue to rise (plats more so than diamonds....as we would expect).

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

It is an anomaly, for sure.... I was trying to show the extreme.  That said on our most recent cruise there were 15 diamonds and just shy of 240 plats.....these numbers continue to rise (plats more so than diamonds....as we would expect).

I believe plats and diamonds are older folks with either more vacation time or retired and can take longer journey type cruises so those would obviously tend to have a larger number of those two categories.

Would be interesting to learn if the other categories have changed and if so in what direction

• Like 1

They have tried to unify the loyalty plans, several times in fact.  There are so many anomalies in terms of attainment, recognition and more that it failed.  Royal was able to do because their number and lines are significantly smaller and more easily integrated.  

Rather than unify the existing plans, I would suggest creating an entirely new plan. You could leave the current plans in place, or perhaps make some modifications to them to eliminate duplication with the new plan. I would envision marketing creating incentives to move up, like GM did with Cheve to Pontiac to Olds to Buick to Caddie. Dealers, in this case T/A's, given the option to reward loyalty within the corp brands. New incentives, not attempting to combine perks from exiting programs . Could be pricing, could be special sailings & itineraries, could be access to select sailings on revolving lines limited to a specific criteria. New and different rewards. Not necessarily more expensive, but properly priced. Points awarded based upon totals across all lines for the program. Cross-line marketing on B2B and S2S combination adventures.

20 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Just out of curiosity, how many passengers total? I would guess that those numbers totaled below 10% of the passengers and 5% of cabins booked. Although I would imagine that the length of cruise would impact the numbers, perhaps more than the itinerary.

14 minutes ago, FiredogCruiser said:

Just out of curiosity, how many passengers total? I would guess that those numbers totaled below 10% of the passengers and 5% of cabins booked. Although I would imagine that the length of cruise would impact the numbers, perhaps more than the itinerary.

There are many factors that influence it.  There were about 3700 on the ship.  New York is a seasonal port, it is school break, new (or modified significantly) ship, draw of the specific ports in the cruise and it goes on.....    

There are many factors that influence it.  There were about 3700 on the ship.  New York is a seasonal port, it is school break, new (or modified significantly) ship, draw of the specific ports in the cruise and it goes on.....    

What I am trying to understand is why the consternation over what is a relatively small percentage of passengers currently. What any business is looking for is growth. Preferably profitably growth in all sectors. That said I would believe that the corporation, not necessarily the specific line, would want to grow those numbers and be interested in how they could do that. My thought has been you do that by offering cross brand programming and marketing. Differing profit centers. I don't want to generalize, but older passengers tend to drink less than they used to. Less bar revenue. But they often book more expensive cabins and suites. Maybe not at the same enormous profit margins as the alcohol, but never the less dollars. As a shareholder, I would like to see marketing aimed at more demographic specific customer. And then finding a way to reward the demographic category IN ADDITION to the brand. In my opinion that creates growth.