Where to get away from the crowds to snorkel in Roatan?

QuadraCatLady

Hi there, 

My husband and I are first time cruisers. We are usually independent, way off the beaten track travellers but we had lots of airmiles saved up and wanted a week of relaxation. 🙂 At first we thought we'd never get off the ship but our NCL cruise stops in Roatan and we are avid divers/snorkelers and have always wanted to explore the waters there. We want to snorkel because it's less hassle and gives us more time in the water but we do not like crowds. We're thinking of grabbing a taxi (or scooter rental if that's a possibility) and taking off to somewhere uncrowded but with great snorkeling on our port day. Any thoughts or suggestions? We have all our own gear. Thanks!

I love west end, and i would dive. We went with coconut tree divers in west end. They pick you up at the cruise port, boat is steps away from the shop and dive location is super close by. Super clear drift dive. If you don't want to dive, the beach in front of the shop also was empty when we were there.  There is a reef off the point, it seemed nice.  Bean Crazy for lunch in town as a great value, and very good. 

1 hour ago, snownow said:

I love west end, and i would dive. We went with coconut tree divers in west end. They pick you up at the cruise port, boat is steps away from the shop and dive location is super close by. Super clear drift dive. If you don't want to dive, the beach in front of the shop also was empty when we were there.  There is a reef off the point, it seemed nice.  Bean Crazy for lunch in town as a great value, and very good. 

Thanks, Snownow! How busy would you say it is around the shop you're talking about? We really want to avoid crowds. 

Here is to shots of the beach while we were there... The one family is all that was there.  The second picture is where they were doing dive lessons and reef past that. It is like 20-30 minutes from the port but worth it. My wife and other daughter went to one of the local beaches with a cruise tour and hated it. Packed, and vendors everywhere.  This was more my speed.  Dive shop was very laid back, market near by was empty, the coffee shop had maybe 5 customers. While we were there, there was 0 crowd. 

r1-S.jpgr2-M.jpg

5 minutes ago, snownow said:

Here is to shots of the beach while we were there... The one family is all that was there.  The second picture is where they were doing dive lessons and reef past that. It is like 20-30 minutes from the port but worth it. My wife and other daughter went to one of the local beaches with a cruise tour and hated it. Packed, and vendors everywhere.  This was more my speed.  Dive shop was very laid back, market near by was empty, the coffee shop had maybe 5 customers. While we were there, there was 0 crowd. 

r1-S.jpgr2-M.jpg

Oooo! That looks perfect! Right up our alley. Thanks so much!

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I have used Subway Watersports twice when visiting Roatan.  The reef is just off from their location at Turquoise Bay, and we feel they have the best coral we have seen anywhere.  Check them out.

• Thanks 1