99 steps

Mom_to_2_NC

There isn't an explanation at the 99 steps. In fact, there is no explanation of anything except for the statues that are nearby.

Lots of historic buildings nearby and it's lovely to walk past the Lutheran Parsonage and Government House which is currently closed for repairs but the exterior didn't show signs of damage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not really 99 steps but close. Also it's near the Charlotte Amalie shopping area, but it's a bit of a long walk from port (Heavensight, anyway... Crown is even longer). If anything, go just for the "I did it" factor and to catch a glimpse of the historic buildings in the area. Blackbeard's Castle is also in the area near the top but as of Nov. 2018 it was still closed after the storms of 2017. The views of the bay are also quite good from the top of the steps.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, richbum said:

Does anyone know if Blackbeards castle will be open again? Are they working on repairs...or is it just closed permanently?

Ā 

I was wondering myself, I did a search and found this http://www.blackbeardscastle.com/

*** We are CLOSED at this time. As you may know, St. Thomas was badly damaged by Hurricane Irma on September 6th, 2017. Ā Blackbeard's Castle suffered mainly roof damageĀ althoughĀ it was notĀ as bad as many other structures on the island. Skytsborg TowerĀ continues to standĀ tall as does Blackbeard's statue. We will rebuild but do not have a re-opeing date at this time. Ā God bless and protect the beautiful Virgin Islands and its people. ***

Edited by Mom_to_2_NC
wrong info posted..
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 8:43 PM, Mom_to_2_NC said:

I was wondering myself, I did a search and found this http://www.blackbeardscastle.com/

*** We are CLOSED at this time. As you may know, St. Thomas was badly damaged by Hurricane Irma on September 6th, 2017. Ā Blackbeard's Castle suffered mainly roof damageĀ althoughĀ it was notĀ as bad as many other structures on the island. Skytsborg TowerĀ continues to standĀ tall as does Blackbeard's statue. We will rebuild but do not have a re-opeing date at this time. Ā God bless and protect the beautiful Virgin Islands and its people. ***

Ā 

On 9/14/2019 at 6:59 AM, Ms411 said:

I was told they hope to open for 2019 season so hopefully soon!

Ā 

I hope the Rumporium reopens. That was a beautiful shop!

Ā 

Thank you so much...We are going January 2021...so hopefully it will be open by then!

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2019 at 4:02 PM, AviationInScale said:

We're actually getting married at the top of 99 Steps Tuesday morning.Ā šŸ˜Ž

Congratulations!!

Ā 

BTW... How did you manage to get a permit to get married in the middle of a street??? Just kidding... (For those that don't know, the top of 99 Steps end on a street that leads to Blackbeard's Castle)

• Haha 1