Cruise Critic Community

Is this close to the port ? Will we need to use a Taxi to get there ?  Is it easy enough to find?   I see a few excursions with it, but Id rather walk and enjoy at our own pace (free 🙂 )  thanks!

It is in town. Ask anyone for directions. It's near Government House.

P.S. Count the steps as you walk up....

Thanks...  I did read the amount of steps is actually not 99 which is kind of weird 😁I'm sure there'll be an explanation of it near the bottom or top

There isn't an explanation at the 99 steps. In fact, there is no explanation of anything except for the statues that are nearby.

Lots of historic buildings nearby and it's lovely to walk past the Lutheran Parsonage and Government House which is currently closed for repairs but the exterior didn't show signs of damage.

Posted (edited)

It's NOT as bad of a climb as it may sound.  I did it with a knee brace one year.

Sad the Governors House is still undergoing repairs.  That was worth the climb to see.

Edited by crewsweeper

Not really 99 steps but close. Also it's near the Charlotte Amalie shopping area, but it's a bit of a long walk from port (Heavensight, anyway... Crown is even longer). If anything, go just for the "I did it" factor and to catch a glimpse of the historic buildings in the area. Blackbeard's Castle is also in the area near the top but as of Nov. 2018 it was still closed after the storms of 2017. The views of the bay are also quite good from the top of the steps.

Does anyone know if Blackbeards castle will be open again? Are they working on repairs...or is it just closed permanently?

8 hours ago, richbum said:

Does anyone know if Blackbeards castle will be open again? Are they working on repairs...or is it just closed permanently?

I was wondering myself, I did a search and found this http://www.blackbeardscastle.com/

*** We are CLOSED at this time. As you may know, St. Thomas was badly damaged by Hurricane Irma on September 6th, 2017.  Blackbeard's Castle suffered mainly roof damage although it was not as bad as many other structures on the island. Skytsborg Tower continues to stand tall as does Blackbeard's statue. We will rebuild but do not have a re-opeing date at this time.  God bless and protect the beautiful Virgin Islands and its people. ***

Edited by Mom_to_2_NC
wrong info posted..

I was told they hope to open for 2019 season so hopefully soon!

I hope the Rumporium reopens. That was a beautiful shop!

On 9/13/2019 at 8:43 PM, Mom_to_2_NC said:

I was wondering myself, I did a search and found this http://www.blackbeardscastle.com/

*** We are CLOSED at this time. As you may know, St. Thomas was badly damaged by Hurricane Irma on September 6th, 2017.  Blackbeard's Castle suffered mainly roof damage although it was not as bad as many other structures on the island. Skytsborg Tower continues to stand tall as does Blackbeard's statue. We will rebuild but do not have a re-opeing date at this time.  God bless and protect the beautiful Virgin Islands and its people. ***

On 9/14/2019 at 6:59 AM, Ms411 said:

I was told they hope to open for 2019 season so hopefully soon!

I hope the Rumporium reopens. That was a beautiful shop!

Thank you so much...We are going January 2021...so hopefully it will be open by then!