Roma Pass

T2inDC

Is it advisable to purchase the Roma Pass on-line prior to arriving in Rome or purchase them when we arrive? I'd like to have these passes already purchased but not sure if there's a particular way of activating them once we arrive. thanks.

My experience is not terribly recent, so I don't know if it will help. I did not order my Roma Pass in advance, since you can purchase them at all participating museums and sites, as well as at InfoPoints and at some metro and train stations. Didn't really see any time savings in having it 'in hand' immediately -- there are only a couple of participating museums that let you 'skip the line'. 

The museum pass portion was simply activated at the first place where it was used. The transportation pass portion is activated the first time you use it at the turnstile at the metro station, or when you validate it on the bus or local train.

How are you planning to use it?

Thank you for your response. We'll have 3 days in Rome prior to our cruise and wish to use the 'skip the line' feature at the Coliseum. We also intend to use the metro system to get around town. We've used the metro/train system in Tokyo, S. Korea and live in the DC area, but those systems also display info in English. Figured preplanning tours and getting the Pass prior to departure would be a time and anxiety saver.   

The metro in Rome is very easy to navigate; you should have no problem. That said, there is a substantial swathe of the city that isn't served by it, due to all the buried ruins. (This has been a problem amply attested by the attempts to bring a new metro line through the heart of the ancient city, where they have constantly had to stop work to investigate and deal appropriately with new archaeological finds.)

re the Colosseum:  If you are planning to use the pass to book one of their special tours, I'm not sure if you actually need it in hand when you make the reservation, or only when you show up. They have changed many of the procedures in the last couple of years, including opening multiple entrances for various tours. I'd advise calling Coopculture (the official ticket service for the Colosseum and its many tours) to ask questions about the best way to do this without wasting time. I have found them to be very informative and there is an option for selecting an English speaker.

1 hour ago, T2inDC said:

Seems not a single ticket is available for 3 October. ;-(

Coopculture tends to release tickets at intervals; not all of the tickets for specific dates are released at once. It's very complicated (makes my head hurt trying to figure out all the ins and outs now...).  

You can try to make sense of it by reading the info on their site: https://www.coopculture.it/en/colosseo-e-shop.cfm

Read down the page, especially the "Booking Procedures for Roma Pass holders".  Note the Roma Pass only covers the basic area of the Colosseum not the special tour areas. 

Also a good thread with info here, from tripadvisor:  https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k10470059-Booking_colosseum_entry_tickets-Rome_Lazio.html

Really, the best thing is to call them. They know all the ins and outs.