Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
kathywernet

New Princess cruiser questions on PBS

Recommended Posts

I booked our Alaska cruise on the Coral for next year and got the PBS during Sip & Sail. I was told that if you order a drink under this package, only the bartender gets the 18% tip, no one else so you would have to tip again. Also, how many bottles of water will they allow per day? My husband goes thru about 6-8 bottles a day, and can we grab extra bottles to take with us on port days?  Are the bars the only place to grab the water bottles and fountain drinks?  I know I can order water (12 bottles $7.08), and also coke products (6/$11.80), but I am wondering how inconvenient it is to grab water bottles and fountain drinks.  we will probably have 2-3 mixed drinks (each) a day, so I am trying to determine if I should book under the Landmark sale. 

Thx

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

 

If you have the Premium Beverage Package (PBP) under the Sip & Sail promotion, then all gratuities for drinks covered by the package are included. You do not need to give any additional gratuities when purchasing drinks, although I usually give a gratuity at the end of the cruise to the bartenders at the bar where I spend most of the cruise.

 

The PBP has nothing to do with the gratuity (or Hotel Charge) that goes to your waiters, cabin stewards, and other personnel who support them. This is covered by the automatic Hotel Charge that is added to your onboard folio (if you don't remove it - and please don't) or by prepaid gratuities that you prepay or that may be covered under a Princess promotion (not included under Sip & Sail). If you pay the recommended Hotel Charge, then you do not need to provide any additional gratuities to cabin steward or waiters, although you may provide a little extra if you think the service was outstanding.

 

I do not know of any limit on any non-alcoholic drinks under the PBP. You can only pick up one drink at a time, but you can pick up a small bottle of water every time you pass a bar. You should have no problem picking up enough for your port days, and there is no need to order water if you have the PBP.

 

If you want your coke products in cans, then the PBP won't work for you - it does not include canned soft drinks (providing only a slight discount). If you are happy taking your soft drinks from the bar guns, then the PBP includes them all.

 

You can order water and fountain drinks at any bar or at any dining room on the ship, and I've never found it inconvenient to find a bar.

 

Add up the mixed drinks, maybe some wine with meals, fresh brewed and specialty coffees if you drink them, and your water. Whether or not it is worth it to you is an individual decision based on your own drinking habits.

Edited by NavyVeteran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, kathywernet said:

I booked our Alaska cruise on the Coral for next year and got the PBS during Sip & Sail. I was told that if you order a drink under this package, only the bartender gets the 18% tip, no one else so you would have to tip again. Also, how many bottles of water will they allow per day? My husband goes thru about 6-8 bottles a day, and can we grab extra bottles to take with us on port days?  Are the bars the only place to grab the water bottles and fountain drinks?  I know I can order water (12 bottles $7.08), and also coke products (6/$11.80), but I am wondering how inconvenient it is to grab water bottles and fountain drinks.  we will probably have 2-3 mixed drinks (each) a day, so I am trying to determine if I should book under the Landmark sale. 

Thx

 

 

 

Based on what you indicated as your drinking habits, the PBP wouldn't be a wise investment.  Get the water package you mentioned, and pay for the others outright. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Navy Vet's response pretty much covers it.  Let me emphasize a couple of points:

 

Whether you are on the Premium Beverage Package (PBP), another package or simply a charge as you go non-plan, the tipping is included -- both bartender and cocktail waitress/busboy.  You can tip more, especially if you have a favorite bartender or waitress, but it is not expected or required.


You can pick up multiple bottles of water (one at a time) and squirrel them away for port excursions.  I've never done it, but there is no reason why you can't.

 

I actually prefer my Coke from the gun.  This does keep me from squirrelling away a few cans in the room's fridge, but I always get a few cans for in-room consumption -- f I wake up at 3:00 a.m., I am NOT going to go out looking for an open bar for a fountain soda!!  You can buy cans ashore and bring them back on the ship, if you want to minimize the cost.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, camper49 said:

Do only the alcohol drinks count towards the 15 drink limit?

Yes! Only alcohol counts toward the limit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you just ask for water you will get tap water. The water from the ships taps is potable and at least on the Grand very good quality. If you want bottled water you need to specify that you want bottled water. If you want the bottled water from a bar for use later, specify that it be not opened when ordering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brisalta said:

If you just ask for water you will get tap water. The water from the ships taps is potable and at least on the Grand very good quality. If you want bottled water you need to specify that you want bottled water. If you want the bottled water from a bar for use later, specify that it be not opened when ordering.

The bartender at Crooner's on my last cruise handled it differently. If you asked for water but did not specify, he would give you a bottle of water (not opened) if you had the PBP and a glass of tap water if you did not have the PBP. He also was very good at offering water unsolicited (for hydration)  if you had been drinking a few alcoholic drinks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, kathywernet said:

I booked our Alaska cruise on the Coral for next year and got the PBS during Sip & Sail. I was told that if you order a drink under this package, only the bartender gets the 18% tip, no one else so you would have to tip again. Also, how many bottles of water will they allow per day? My husband goes thru about 6-8 bottles a day, and can we grab extra bottles to take with us on port days?  Are the bars the only place to grab the water bottles and fountain drinks?  I know I can order water (12 bottles $7.08), and also coke products (6/$11.80), but I am wondering how inconvenient it is to grab water bottles and fountain drinks.  we will probably have 2-3 mixed drinks (each) a day, so I am trying to determine if I should book under the Landmark sale. 

Thx

 

 

We hhave gotten Sip & Sail several times and only tipped extra at the end IF someone had been very good to us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for all the helpful info.  I did decide to book under Landmark and saved the $500, plus I got free Gratuities!    Someone told me that if you are on deck and order a cocktail, only the bartender gets the 18% and not the server-- which is what I was wondering.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, kathywernet said:

Thank you for all the helpful info.  I did decide to book under Landmark and saved the $500, plus I got free Gratuities!    Someone told me that if you are on deck and order a cocktail, only the bartender gets the 18% and not the server-- which is what I was wondering.  

 


Automatic, i.e. mandatory, drink tips are pooled and shared among the bar staff. Maybe not equally, but they are shared.

Edited by beg3yrs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...