Comparing Cruise Lines/Ships

Lovincruisin1321

I am not a "1st Time Cruiser" but there have been some breaks in our cruising where the industry has changed.

My husband and I mainly sail RCCL and Celebrity.  We are "Young upper 50's" and still love the night life, bars, great music but good dining with excellent service.  Also good shows.  We like FUN too.

Is there some magical comparison chart that some cruiser on this site might have created to compare RCCL, Celebrity, MSC, NCL and Princess?   I tried to but it was an exhausting effort.  

Also, we tried Holland last year and it just wasn't fitting our style.  Nice people and food but too low key.

Have to agree with Denmarks that it would be hard to establish criteria since each of us have such variable interests and preferences.  Travel mags and websites often have “best of” lists, but they are very subjective.  I have numerous friends who cruise regularly and when we compare what we like and dislike it is clear that no one line is the best for everything. First time we did HAL we were lots younger than we are today and friends said we would be bored to tears, but the timing and itinerary worked for us and the cruise was quite pleasant.  Our usual go to line is Princess but another good friend really didn’t enjoy his only adventure with them and he swears by X.   I certainly want to enjoy the ship but my usual driving force is itinerary.  I have never sailed Carnival and from my reading I doubt I ever will, but I realize that thousands of people must enjoy them  or they would not keep coming back.  

Another factor  is that even within the same cruise line there can be significant differences on a ship to ship basis.  Both with respect to size and available amenities.

Agree...so much of this would be so subjective. OP, you have already defined a category you rate important... the laid back nature of HAL. How do you put that in a comparison chart, and how do you rate that? Food is subjective, as is entertainment, cabin amenities and a few others. Most cruise lines have drink packages and added charge, nicer restaurants, so not really a big difference there.

One of the few things you could compare...dress codes.

The better thing to understand is the differing levels of cruise line...mass market, upscale, luxury, etc.

In addition to being highly subjective, the industry changes so quickly that any comparison would be quickly out of date.

Any worth while comparison would be comparing the different segments - mass market, premium, luxury & expedition

6 hours ago, Lovincruisin1321 said:

I am not a "1st Time Cruiser" but there have been some breaks in our cruising where the industry has changed.

My husband and I mainly sail RCCL and Celebrity.  We are "Young upper 50's" and still love the night life, bars, great music but good dining with excellent service.  Also good shows.  We like FUN too.

Is there some magical comparison chart that some cruiser on this site might have created to compare RCCL, Celebrity, MSC, NCL and Princess?   I tried to but it was an exhausting effort.  

Also, we tried Holland last year and it just wasn't fitting our style.  Nice people and food but too low key.

I have found that the cruise length plays a part in the dynamics of the crowd with 11+ nights tending to attract an older average passenger which would result in a "lower key" atmosphere and the 3 to 7 night cruises a lot livelier crowd of 30's and 40's, not always a solid reflection but as an "upper 50's" myself I find the 9 and 10 night cruises a happy medium for crowd atmosphere and activities.

As I mentioned its not always the same but just my observations over the cruises I have been on.

• Like 1

Check with a good local TA. They should be able to get you more specifics on any cruise line/ship you may be considering. Some major changes have been happening such as the new adult only Virgin Cruise line or the Holland America partnering with Rolling Stone and the Classic Rock clubs with live bands on their ships.

Hi,

I believe will be hard to even make a comparison chart. Cause even within the companies itself, each ship is different. And I think that it also depends on where your cruise is going and the fellow passengers.

But if you have found a list, do let me know!!! It could help by choosing my next cruise. 

We just completed a cruise on our 16th cruise line :).  Tell that to folks and the first question is always, "which line do you like the most?"  And we do not have a good answer because each line has their pros and cons.  Sure, we can give capsule comparisons but what matters to some is near meaningless to others.  Go on Seabourn and you can have unlimited caviar and champagne.  Cruise on Princess and you have the International Café which is open 24/7.  Celebrity has Murano (our favorite alternative restaurant) and HAL is for the sedate (some might say with one foot in the ground).  MSC is quite an interesting line which really varies depending on what "experience" you book.  Their Yacht Club is truly first class and compares to some of the luxury lines (except their dining room is not quite up to the same level).   But go outside MSC's Yacht Club and the ship will feel more like Carnival Cruises then most other lines.

So, to answer the OP's question there really is no "magical" chart or book.  In fact, DW and I have spent some time today comparing itineraries and prices on HAL, Seabourn and Oceania on long cruises in a similar part of the world.  After talking about our options we are still scratching our heads (with no decision).  If taking a basic 7 day Caribbean cruise there are enough options (in terms of lines, vessels and itineraries) to drive those with open minds absolutely bonkers.  And even when one looks at the specific lines mentioned by the OP there is no easy answer.  Just consider RCI where there is a huge difference between their huge Oasis Class and the smaller Radiance Class.  

Hank

• Like 2

I concur with the advise of consulting with a travel agent.  Each line has it's own experience and the longer the cruise the slower pace and lack of night life.  If you're looking for nightlife; however, I would say you're safe with Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Norwegian.  Your food in general will be better on Celebrity and Princess, but food is so subjective.  Anyway, talk with a travel agent who specializes in cruises.   Based on where you want to go and what you enjoy in a cruise, he/she will guide you in the right direction.  

18 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

Ouch!

LOL!  Regarding HAL, we are 5 Star Mariners with over 500 days (and a 30 day cruise booked for next year) so consider our comment more about fact then being critical.  Especially on longer cruises, HAL does live up to its reputation as a line frequented by old folks and their parents!  Some of their recent changes, such as eliminating regular Production shows, are likely to keep the line attracting folks who have no interest in what happens after 9pm!  On shorter cruises (mostly in the Caribbean) the age group is not quite as ancient.  But DW and I have been on some HAL cruises when we felt like the children and I am in my 70s!  In good conscience I cannot recommend this line to anyone under the age of 50....and even they should know that they will be among the younger cruisers on many itineraries.  Part of the reason HAL attracts an older clientele is that they do market many longer (and wonderful) itineraries.  For those looking for lots of planned onboard activities HAL does leave something to be desired.  When we are on Princess it is normal in the morning to see 100 passengers doing group dance lessons (or exercise programs) in the Atrium.  On HAL about the only place you might find 100 passengers participating in an activity would be trivia.  We have been on Celebrity and Princess cruises where there is standing room only for late night comedy shows.  On HAL there are no late night comedy shows and a large majority of passengers are in their cabins by 10. 

Hank

• Like 2

Hank...how does the BB King group and the Rolling Stone club fit your description? We really enjoy both...we like the somewhat bigger ships with a few more amenities. Those items would seem to say you are missing the changes that are going on...

And we were just on Amsterdam for 14 days (one cruise, not B2B), and there were several (5, I think) standard "old fashioned" stage productions. Plus comedians and other entertainers. 

We are almost 5 star, so maybe slightly less qualified to be so critical, but, as I stated earlier, change is difficult for some...

Wow....all the responses were very good and accurate from my cruising experiences.   This is probably why I can't create a comparison chart....too many variables!

Question - How do I find a good TA?   When I ask around (I live in a huge community) everyone thinks their TA is the BEST!

Hank - I loved your response and right on point of how I felt when I was on my first HAL last year.  No disrespect to HAL cruisers out there because I do agree they have really good itineraries.

I guess overall for dining, entertainment and a great Martini Bar, I still like Celebrity.  They have good itineraries but my husband and I tend to do longer itineraries with them so the ship experience is important.  Did a great transatlantic four years ago.

So, perhaps you all helped me come to at least that decision.  

Thanks!

Edited by Lovincruisin1321
more info on ship

Regarding the BB King groups, we have enjoyed that entertainment on two ships (Rotterdam and Zuiderdam).  But they now have taken it off the Rotterdam (and others in that class) and the groups are only on about half the ships of the fleet.  We have not been on a ship/cruise with the Rolling Stone Club.  Just a word about the BB King groups.  I personally love BB King's music and Blues in general.  But the BB King groups on HAL generally play little to no BB King music but focus on rock and even disco!  I talked to one of the BB King group leaders who explained that most passengers do not seem to appreciate the blues music favored by real BB King fans.   But being on a HAL cruise with a BB King group is a very interesting experience.  Most cruisers are in bed long before the final set and we could fill a few pages of a book with all the  complaints we hear about the BB King groups being too loud!  When they had a group playing in the Rotterdam's Crow's Nest I had no problem with the volume....but I did have the sense to insert some ear plugs before heading to the venue :).  

As to finding a good TA, we make a point of suggesting that folks look among high volume reputable cruise agencies.  Local TAs are fine for "hand holding" but lack the experience and volume to get the best deals.  Some of these agencies do rely on consortiums to get some pricing deals, but we are not impressed.  There are still some of these local agencies who think that sending a bottle of cheap wine to their client's cabin is good enough.  I can buy many bottles of wine with the hundreds and often thousands of dollars we save by shopping around.   I cannot offer specific advice on which agencies because it is against CC rules.  But look around with search engines, do some online due diligence, and certainly speak to fellow cruisers when you are actually on a cruise (we have learned much from other cruisers).  If all else fails there are also the Big Box clubs which often will offer more incentives then you will get from many cruise agencies.  That being said, we have personally never used one of those clubs since we can do much better elsewhere.  Whatever agency you use be sure to read the fine print about their policies when it comes to cancellations and price drops.  An agency that charges you an extra fee to "reprice" a cruise that has experienced a price drop is an agency to be avoided!  I also prefer agencies that maintain a "customer service" department where you can have issues regarding booked cruises quickly handled without having to wait to hear back from a specific agent.

As to "hand holding" and experience, I suspect that most of my favored cruise agencies/agents handle more bookings in a day then many local agencies handle in a year.   We once had a fantastic cruise agent (with a very good discount cruise agency) but she finally retired to spend more time cruising :(.   We have spent the past 5-6 years trying to "break in" a young agent at one of our favorite agencies.  She has handled her share of bookings but still lacks the experience only developed by doing a lot of her own cruising.  Although we are old (some might say ancient) with over forty years cruise experience we still have a very open mind when it comes to booking strategies and agencies.  I have told my favorite cruise agent that she is only as good as her last booking.  If she does not compete we will not hesitate to book elsewhere (just did that for a cruise we are taking next week :(.  Those that are "set in their ways" are generally behind the curve when it comes to the best booking strategy.

Hank

On 8/12/2019 at 4:55 PM, Lovincruisin1321 said:

How do I find a good TA?   When I ask around (I live in a huge community) everyone thinks their TA is the BEST!

Go speak to them, or send each an email and compare their responses.  Again, "best" is variable depending on individual preferences.  Remember, you don't have to deal with a local TA either, if you're willing to work by email and phone calls.  I'm considering the TA of a friend based on her great experiences (helped them deal with a Celebrity problem), even though her TA is thousands of miles away. 

On 8/12/2019 at 1:55 PM, Lovincruisin1321 said:

Hank - I loved your response and right on point of how I felt when I was on my first HAL last year.  No disrespect to HAL cruisers out there because I do agree they have really good itineraries.

I guess overall for dining, entertainment and a great Martini Bar, I still like Celebrity.  They have good itineraries but my husband and I tend to do longer itineraries with them so the ship experience is important.  Did a great transatlantic four years ago.

I totally agree with what Hank said about HAL.  They're great for itineraries but not so great for entertainment and activities.  I did find their BB King band entertaining, but when it's the same exact thing every single night, it gets tiring.  There's no theme night parties nor game shows.  Well, they might do 1 BBC wildlife themed game show, but that's it for the whole cruise.  

Celebrity has the martini bar which, as you know, stays active until late.  They also still do game shows, theme party nights, and still have live music by the pool.    Plus, I think their ships are much nicer than both HAL and Princess.  

It looks like you have your favorite line.  😉

On 8/11/2019 at 6:08 PM, Hlitner said:

On HAL about the only place you might find 100 passengers participating in an activity would be trivia.  We have been on Celebrity and Princess cruises where there is standing room only for late night comedy shows.  On HAL there are no late night comedy shows and a large majority of passengers are in their cabins by 10. 

Hank

I am in my early mid-50s and my cruise buddy (mid 30s) on our first cruise (HAL Eurodam to Alaska last year) both LOVED that things settled down early as we are both introverts and being able to just chill without a lot of goings-on in either the Crows Nest or aft Lido pool area late at night was one of our favorite things. When we were planning for this year's cruise, I was concerned it was too low key for her and didn't want to impose my strong preference for that on her and she said she LOVED that she could just simply relax without the chaos of waterslides etc. 

• Like 2

On 8/18/2019 at 1:42 PM, Aquahound said:

I totally agree with what Hank said about HAL.  They're great for itineraries but not so great for entertainment and activities.  I did find their BB King band entertaining, but when it's the same exact thing every single night, it gets tiring.  There's no theme night parties nor game shows.  Well, they might do 1 BBC wildlife themed game show, but that's it for the whole cruise.  

Celebrity has the martini bar which, as you know, stays active until late.  They also still do game shows, theme party nights, and still have live music by the pool.    Plus, I think their ships are much nicer than both HAL and Princess.  

It looks like you have your favorite line.  😉

Absolutely!  Looking forward to our Portugal/Spain itinerary with Celebrity in 2020 and yes, we always closed down the Martini Bar :)

On 8/11/2019 at 9:08 PM, Hlitner said:

LOL!  Regarding HAL, we are 5 Star Mariners with over 500 days (and a 30 day cruise booked for next year) so consider our comment more about fact then being critical.  Especially on longer cruises, HAL does live up to its reputation as a line frequented by old folks and their parents!  Some of their recent changes, such as eliminating regular Production shows, are likely to keep the line attracting folks who have no interest in what happens after 9pm!  On shorter cruises (mostly in the Caribbean) the age group is not quite as ancient.  But DW and I have been on some HAL cruises when we felt like the children and I am in my 70s!  In good conscience I cannot recommend this line to anyone under the age of 50....and even they should know that they will be among the younger cruisers on many itineraries.  Part of the reason HAL attracts an older clientele is that they do market many longer (and wonderful) itineraries.  For those looking for lots of planned onboard activities HAL does leave something to be desired.  When we are on Princess it is normal in the morning to see 100 passengers doing group dance lessons (or exercise programs) in the Atrium.  On HAL about the only place you might find 100 passengers participating in an activity would be trivia.  We have been on Celebrity and Princess cruises where there is standing room only for late night comedy shows.  On HAL there are no late night comedy shows and a large majority of passengers are in their cabins by 10. 

Hank

We were on Carnival when we were in our early 50’s and found it to be too much of a party ship. Then we went to HAL and have done many cruises on various HAL ships.I cannot recall any cruise in which the majority of passengers were over 60.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Actually, yes.

When you really look at the passenger mix (and not rely on “facts” posted on CC by people who know people who have heard about HAL from people who have actually sailed HAL ).

I've cruised HAL several times and my experience is that it is an older crowd.  Not saying it's bad.  It just is what it is.