Empress 8 Night Eastern Caribbean 🎡 ​​​​​​​Oops, I Booked it Again 🎡

18 minutes ago, crilski said:

I suggested to Royal via email - they give Diamonds and above a deal on the coffee card - and the reply was - 'that's a good idea - I'll forward it'.Β Β  It would be great if we could at least get the card at a better price to make up for no cappuccino machine or lounge.Β  Something to make up for no lounge . . .

Β 

We will probably purchase the Deluxe Drink Package....40% discount per per person makes it tempting.  😁   Speciality coffee is included.

Edited by beachnative

Voom update.

Β 

Day 3 Voom was pretty good all day.Β Β 

Β 

i1YXDFx.jpg

Β 

I used day 3 as a work day and spent a lot of time on calls and using WebEx.Β 

Β 

Day 4 Voom still holding up.Β  First thing in the morning.

Β 

f8fxq7f.jpg

Β 

Several conference calls with perfect voice calls for hours.Β Β 

Β 

Day 4 afternoon after arriving in San Juan mid afternoon.

Β 

JBtXgTD.jpg

Β 

Fingers crossed the on/off Voom was fixed by the maintenance I saw on boarding day

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Voom update.

Β 

Day 3 Voom was pretty good all day.Β Β 

Β 

i1YXDFx.jpg

Β 

I used day 3 as a work day and spent a lot of time on calls and using WebEx.Β 

Β 

Day 4 Voom still holding up.Β  First thing in the morning.

Β 

f8fxq7f.jpg

Β 

Several conference calls with perfect voice calls for hours.Β Β 

Β 

Day 4 afternoon after arriving in San Juan mid afternoon.

Β 

JBtXgTD.jpg

Β 

Fingers crossed the on/off Voom was fixed by the maintenance I saw on boarding day

Β 

I worked all last week without littleΒ issue 8-4:30 Mon-Fri. Β Like you I used Web Ex and voice calls and my boss said my phone actually sounded better than it did when I was at home. I was having problems on Friday, but I think that was more about an update my laptop was trying to do vs a wifi problem.

Day 4 - San Juan

Β 

Quite windy as we approached Puerto Rico but Empress handled it really well.

Β 

kTS46L5.jpg

Β 

The pilot boat was having a fun ride.

Β 

fXaidO9.jpg

Β 

1iiQSFf.jpg

Β 

Finally San Juan was within sight.

Β 

0sFS8ES.jpg

Β 

El Morro was grand as ever.

Β 

1SodCNG.jpg

Β 

lEtzUMo.jpg

Β 

Into our berth early as promised.

Β 

1DMliyw.jpg

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

Drink sale of the day, half off Margaritas!

Β 

DQbPy10.jpg

Β 

My plan for this visit to San Juan was some photos during golden hour after sunset so I waited for the WJ to open at 6pm and had some dinner beforeΒ venturingΒ off.

Β 

hY25zEh.jpg

Β 

0io469E.jpg

Β 

Walking up hill I found a view that included Empress in the distance.

Β 

GUVvPBW.jpg

• Like 2

My destination was sort of El Morro and anything I happen to see along the way so I just started walking up hill vaguely in that direction snapping a few pictures along the way.

Β 

wDKWylx.jpg

Β 

I walked past a church with open doors so I couldn't resist a photo.

Β 

WgWqHL0.jpg

Β 

Eventually I reached the edge of the fieldΒ in front of El Morro just in time for sunset.

Β 

qRTuB4Q.jpg

Β 

ZdLxjC3.jpg
Β 

Behind me the lights along the road towards Castillo San CristΓ³bal caught my attention so I went that way.

Β 

iEPPJb9.jpg

Β 

I wasn't really feeling the photography juices flowing so IΒ had to figure something out.Β 

Β 

cWNEQrF.jpg

Β 

Maybe some long exposure light streaking photos would do the trick.

Β 

8YDexQo.jpg

Β 

This is why I love golden hour after sunset.

Β 

Q16jUG0.jpg

q0mHUos.jpg

Β 

Castillo San CristΓ³bal.Β  With my camera doing a 30 second exposure I used the light on my phone to "paint" the area closest to me with light.Β Β 

Β 

eSpEslF.jpg

Edited by twangster
  • Like 3

Walking back to the ship I just had to capture it with some water blur effect and the nearly full moon.

Β 

pOq5DFU.jpg

Β 

It was too early to go back on board so with several hours until all aboard time I wanted to go back to Paseo de la Princesa.

Β 

3cnbI8U.jpg

Β 

OxwDiJQ.jpg

Β 

mZwcdyZ.jpg

Β 

kx7ETaS.jpg

Β 

I always enjoy stops that include the ability to take pictures of the ship at night so IΒ couldn't let the opportunity go to waste.

Β 

JlPfwiC.jpg

Β 

L4XKMpF.jpg

Β 

Time to head back on board.

Β 

tWHsOcn.jpg

Β 

• Like 5

Awesome review, Twangster! Beautiful photos!Β 

Β 

We we have only been to Coco Cay once so far. I loved the wide open snorkeling area that I was free to explore that day. I’m going to miss that freedom,Β but I’m not surprised due to safety reasons.Β 

• Like 1

Just now, Jimbo said:

His camera and attachments(lens, etc.) cost ALOT of money.Β  He isn't using a 2 or $300 camera like you or I might buy.

As a professional TV News cameraman and photo journalist I know he was shooting with some good stuff. I was just curious to know what brand and model. I have hesitated taking my Nikon D70 or my Panasonic Lumix DH5 out on a cruiseΒ just because I don't want to haul around a real expensive camera and a bunch of lenses and be reminded of work.

• Thanks 1

Well. We don't know what Swank Pad G might purchase, but I think twangster said in his previous photo that it is $3000+Β  equipment. Sony maybe?Β 

Β 

And I am not an awesome photographer, like he is, so my cameras definitely run in the lower price range.Β :classic_biggrin: The difference is evidenced by his wonderful photos.Β 

• Like 1

On the other thread when someone asked what equipment he used to get the milky way shots. this was his reply

Β 

I shot this using a full frame Sony A7III with a Sony 12-24mm lens.Β  Β A crop sensor body that most people shoot wouldn't be able to get this wide.Β  The A7III also has really good low light performance, night and day from my last full frame body, a Nikon D750.

Β 

Also keep in mind I have a pretty good investment in gear.Β  Body and lens for this shot are ~ $3,700.Β Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been in cruise mode having a great time making new friends so I apologize for the lack of updates.

Β 

This was our sail out from San Juan at midnight.

Β 

3JwV3PX.jpg

Β 

The fountain on Paseo de la Princesa that I capture earlier.

Β 

vnPUNi7.jpg

Β 

El Morro at night.

Β 

qYb6Ab3.jpg

Β 

kVQMpui.jpg

Β 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Swank Pad G said:

Love the photos. What camera are you using?

Β 

On this cruise I'm carrying my Sony A7III and Sony RX100VI.Β  The latter is a pocket camera I carry just about everywhere.Β  Both shoot in RAW so I can make up for my poor photography skills and fix it in Lightroom later.Β 

Edited by twangster