Wot no Union Jacks

mickrory

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Something rather ironic, though, about Carnival companies making a big thing about the comparatively trivial issue of little plastic flags, while continuing to dump sulphuric acid into the oceans just to enable the continuing use of heavily polluting fuels.

100% agree

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Something rather ironic, though, about Carnival companies making a big thing about the comparatively trivial issue of little plastic flags, while continuing to dump sulphuric acid into the oceans just to enable the continuing use of heavily polluting fuels.

On Coral Princess last month, they had changed from plastic to cardboard straws in drinks and only gave one ship-map per cabin - but then destroyed acres of forests of a daily basis with the endless flyers delivered to the cabin inviting you to spend money on something!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Britboys said:

Yes but if P&O had sent it out in an e-mail as per the reply at post #10 you would have thought they would make sure it was widely known onboard...

You can send out all the emails you like but there's no guarantee staff will read them, as I know from my own experience :classic_sad:

3 hours ago, Britboys said:

On Coral Princess last month, they had changed from plastic to cardboard straws in drinks and only gave one ship-map per cabin - but then destroyed acres of forests of a daily basis with the endless flyers delivered to the cabin inviting you to spend money on something!

A couple of things to keep in mind.

The papers are more likely produced from either recycled paper or new growth forest.

I live in the South east of the United States, where there are pine tree "farms" consisting of thousands of acres of pine trees.  Every fifteen years or so they are harvested and used for lumber and paper.  They are replaced with new plantings.  

Before maturity, trees are a better carbon "sink" than mature trees.   So they are not destroying acres of forests they are just harvesting what they planted, much like a farmer growing corn, wheat, etc.

41 minutes ago, gatour said:

A couple of things to keep in mind.

The papers are more likely produced from either recycled paper or new growth forest.

I live in the South east of the United States, where there are pine tree "farms" consisting of thousands of acres of pine trees.  Every fifteen years or so they are harvested and used for lumber and paper.  They are replaced with new plantings.  

Before maturity, trees are a better carbon "sink" than mature trees.   So they are not destroying acres of forests they are just harvesting what they planted, much like a farmer growing corn, wheat, etc.

You are unlikely to get the hair shirt brigade on here to consider your very valid point. But one has to assume that as they are posting on a cruising forum that they do take the occasional cruise, but you must never accuse them of having dual standards.

On 8/11/2019 at 10:02 PM, davecttr said:

Extracting the urine eh!

OK I will plead guilty to that.  But you cannot transport me to the Colonies for the term of my natural life, I am already here. !!🤣  Do not worry we shall have our little Aussie flags at the Arcadia sailaways in Singapore and Southampton next year.😀

Happy cruising to you.

Rule Britannia !! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

OK I will plead guilty to that.  But you cannot transport me to the Colonies for the term of my natural life, I am already here. !!🤣  Do not worry we shall have our little Aussie flags at the Arcadia sailaways in Singapore and Southampton next year.😀

Happy cruising to you.

Rule Britannia !! 

The punishment nowadays is to send you back here...😀

Waltzing Matilda and all that.

Andy

• Like 3

On 8/11/2019 at 10:03 AM, majortom10 said:

I find it very sad that there are people in life and obviously some on CC because they do not like something they think it should be banned. We all like differing things and as long as legal should be available to all. There are things I dont enjoy on ships but would not want to stop them from being enjoyed by others.Just walk on by and go to another part of the ship where you can do what you enjoy and heaven forbid that there are not some that would want to stop what you enjoy doing. Live and let live and thankfully we are all different and enjoy different things.

Its called being ‘kind’ and caring about others’.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tablelamp said:

I wonder what they will use in place of the sauce sachets 

Big glass bottles of Heinz Tomato Sauce/Ketchup  and HP Sauce.  Glass is still good to recycle.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

The punishment nowadays is to send you back here...😀

Waltzing Matilda and all that.

Andy

Only if Brexit arrangements are acceptable.  But then again, I would resist being transported to England's Green and Pleasant Land,  as only 56p to the AUD.  My superannuation would be diminished.   Would Boris give us the UK aged pension? As we get no aged pension here as I have a private pension.  No automatic right to an aged pension here, you are means tested.🤑

Happy cruising to you.

Edited by NSWP

13 hours ago, happy v said:

Huge great big bottles, well plastic actually.

They are in the buffet not on the table so I'm not overly keen.

On Marella they had about 4 bottles next to the hot station.People were taking them back to their tables.I spent half of my breakfast time searching them out and nicking them back,lol.

19 minutes ago, brian1 said:

On Marella they had about 4 bottles next to the hot station.People were taking them back to their tables.I spent half of my breakfast time searching them out and nicking them back,lol.

Just another sauce of infection, all those people with mucky hands attempting to pound the source out of them

3 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Just another sauce of infection, all those people with mucky hands attempting to pound the source out of them

Was that a pun or did you get your s---ces mixed up,lol.

Just come back from the Carnival Legend cruising Alaska. Given the patriotism of most Americans, I was surprised (and delighted) there was no Great American Sailaway party. It's something I would have avoided as flag waving jingoism in any form just does not do it for me. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:04 AM, berlingo said:

We love a Great British Sailaway!

I am afraid that it is a very old fashioned notion that we should in some way be ashamed of being British. The younger generation have no such pseudo guilt.

Every nation in the world celebrates it national identity. It is arrogance to feel morally superior for not celebrating.

Not wanting to wave flags and sing jingoistic songs is not the same as being ashamed of one's country. I can't remember who said it, but patriotism is being proud of your country for what it does; nationalism is being proud of your country regardless of what it does. Sadly, too many people (in all countries) are moving towards the latter nowadays.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, vwgolf said:

Not wanting to wave flags and sing jingoistic songs is not the same as being ashamed of one's country

My sentiments exactly!  I'm proud of my country, but all this "Land of Hope and Glory " faux patriotism " is just cringeworthy.  

Still, P&O will continue with it, not because of any patriotism, but merely because it is a big revenue earner.

I, along with many others, will happily avoid it, and let those who want to wave their flags, get on with it.  

• Like 2

On 8/11/2019 at 12:33 AM, wowzz said:

Lots of people enjoy dog fighting,   but that doesn't mean its acceptable.   

That is exactly the sort of false and      egregious attempt at moral equivalence that gives online forums a bad name 

2 hours ago, vwgolf said:

Just come back from the Carnival Legend cruising Alaska. Given the patriotism of most Americans, I was surprised (and delighted) there was no Great American Sailaway party. It's something I would have avoided as flag waving jingoism in any form just does not do it for me. 

Thank you so much for informing us about something that did not happen and was not planned to happen -  and that you would not have been involved anyway , if it had happened

Edited by Broadside