Wot no Union Jacks

mickrory

14 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Things may have changed but I have memories going back a few years of the CD on Thomson doing commentaries as we sailed past Gallipoli with appropriate music which was so respectful   

Yes, I'd forgotten about that. We too had some commentary and a moment's silence when passing Gallipoli. That was on the Thomson Celebration (as was) and the cruise director was named Bram - what a great bloke he was! As you say, appropriate music can work very well on sailaways.

Edited by vwgolf

32 minutes ago, eddie11 said:

MSC do a simple non-vocal rendition of “Time to Say Goodbye” on leaving ports.  Really simple but can be quite affecting.

When a Star Clippers ship raises its sails on leaving port, it does so to Vangelis' soundtrack from Conquest of Paradise. Much more emotional than watching the entertainments team dancing to some cheesey pop.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Denarius said:

When a Star Clippers ship raises its sails on leaving port, it does so to Vangelis' soundtrack from Conquest of Paradise. Much more emotional than watching the entertainments team dancing to some cheesey pop.

Now that is what I call GOOD.  If P and O’s sailaways played that sort of music I would attend.   Why, must they play such rubbish whilst the entertainment’s team are made to dance around the pool.  Wouldn’t it be nicer if they just mingled with the passengers asking if they enjoyed their day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2019 at 12:21 AM, eddie11 said:

MSC do a simple non-vocal rendition of “Time to Say Goodbye” on leaving ports.  Really simple but can be quite affecting.

Princess ships play that on leaving through the Venice Canal.  Lovely.

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:02 AM, NSWP said:

I hope they did not play 'The Dambusters' theme. I heard/saw that played one time on P&O with the Ents staff running around with their arms stretched out playing 'aeroplanes.'   That would be a bit OTT at Warnemunde or if alongside Mein Schiff.   WW2 endeth.

I remember the dambusters being played when we had either an Aida or Mein Schiff alongside, in response  the germans were waving pool towels over their heads!

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

I remember the dambusters being played when we had either an Aida or Mein Schiff alongside, in response  the germans were waving pool towels over their heads!

That seems to be the spirit in which the music man sailaway is intended, whether its the dambusters or match of the day, and I would hope that's how any German cruise passenger views it as well.