The perils of sailing star class.......

On 8/10/2019 at 5:48 PM, reallyitsmema said:

but they should have people go in one direction and not allow head on collisions.  Every other bumper cars I have ever ridden have made people go in one direction so there aren't head on collisions.

Namby pamby America. 😄

Only in the US is that the case.  It was great fun riding the bumper cars in Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen.  No such rules.  GO FOR IT.

But remember, paybacks. 😄

• Like 1

Maybe the system is flawed, but just because the entitled star class have front of the line privileges doesn't mean they have to abuse them.  The  message he's sending his kids is to forget everything they told you in preschool about taking turns and sharing.  He paid more than those hundred others waiting on line so can parade to the front and tie up four of twenty bumper cars all day if he wants.   No consideration for others who have to wait an hour or more on line.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Maybe the system is flawed, but just because the entitled star class have front of the line privileges doesn't mean they have to abuse them.  The  message he's sending his kids is to forget everything they told you in preschool about taking turns and sharing.  He paid more than those hundred others waiting on line so can parade to the front and tie up four of twenty bumper cars all day if he wants.   No consideration for others who have to wait an hour or more on line.

Riding a couple of times in a row is something kids like to do, and they have every right to do so and not feel bad.  If someone gets upset, then too bad.  That is the way it works.  This is not kindergarten, it is the real world.  Teach your kids to be happy for the people that can afford it, and encourage them to strive for that if it is something they want, not to be envious, jealous and hateful of people that can.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MrMarc said:

Riding a couple of times in a row is something kids like to do, and they have every right to do so and not feel bad.  If someone gets upset, then too bad.  That is the way it works.  This is not kindergarten, it is the real world.  Teach your kids to be happy for the people that can afford it, and encourage them to strive for that if it is something they want, not to be envious, jealous and hateful of people that can.

We didn't ride 3 in a row....we road, that sat out a round, then rode, then sat out a round, then road.... neither here nor there it seems since some appear to have missed that.  My kids would have road all day if I didn't give them the 'teachable moment' of "hey, there's a lot of people who want to ride, lets go do something else"  😛

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, dodgestang said:

We didn't ride 3 in a row....we road, that sat out a round, then rode, then sat out a round, then road.... neither here nor there it seems since some appear to have missed that.  My kids would have road all day if I didn't give them the 'teachable moment' of "hey, there's a lot of people who want to ride, lets go do something else"  😛

My point is that there is no reason to be self consciouss about being Star Class, and others should not feel slighted or jealous that you are.  The teachable moment is to respect not envy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

My point is that there is no reason to be self consciouss about being Star Class, and others should not feel slighted or jealous that you are.  The teachable moment is to respect not envy.

I agree with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, rcclmiami said:

We had a “butler” on celebrity galaxy. Took care of reservations, cleaning, etc. I realize galaxy didn’t have all the frills of anthem (which we have been on), but genie service should be “behind the scenes” so to not tick off the 95 % of us who can’t justify the outrageous prices for RCCL suites.

I think front of the line perks would be ok once per session, but I'm not surprised others get aggravated if they are waiting and others (no matter how justified) are skipping to the front several times. Royal should have private hours for the Star guests. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Again,, both sides are right.

The OP paid for Star class and has the right to the privileges that come with this.

Then again, I also understand those standing in the hot line for 1/2 hour getting a little upset.

There's a happy medium to be found.

I also have the right to walk down the street with an AR-15. That doesn't mean I should exercise that right.

Happy medium

• Like 4

The problem is 90% of the people on a cruise have no idea what star class is or what it costs.  When booking a cruise, they go, the price for an inside cabin is... ok I can afford that.  The price for an ocean view is.... ok, I can afford that if we eat Mac n cheese for a couple of months.  The price for the balcony and the fresh air, OMG, I can’t afford that.  Well maybe we can if I throw away my cigarettes and my bowling league this year.  OK... we can do this, but I am going to have a lot of money backing up on the interest on my credit card.  They see the other categories and go, OMG, I could not justify spending $5000 a person for a family of four to go on vacation that is enough for a car.  They just ignore everything about that booking other than the unaffordable price.

In other words, they never ever look at what perks come with the Star class suite.  So, they have no idea, and are justified in their belief that people are cutting line.  All the people in line see is that people are cutting in line.  

That said, you pay for the perks, and while the highest class I have sailed is Sea class, I could afford and understand what Star Class is... I would want exactly what I paid for.  Of all of the things RCI does well, this kind of crap they do the worst.

jc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand both sides and I don't think it's the fault of either. I think Royal is doing this wrong. They are creating tension on both sides by offering perks this way. 

I thought they originally had 'Star Class hours' for these activities. What happened to that?

Edited by marci22
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The have 'key' hours for Flowrider and cars which is first come/first served but you have to have the key to get in line.

Star can go anytime they want.

I did notice the Genie who recommended times we do things did not overlap Star with Key 😉

I also rented the flow rider for an hour on our first sailing to allow my kids the chance to learn how to do it without looking like they butt in line over and over and over since they would fall alot....it lasted about 5 minutes..... LOLOLOLOLOLOL  they didn't like it.

1 hour ago, dodgestang said:

I did notice the Genie who recommended times we do things did not overlap Star with Key

I have not heard of Star guests being able to go on Flowrider during Key sessions - though those are down to as little as one hour per sailing. Also, while part of the perk, I have yet to witness a Star guest cut the line at any regular Flowrider session.

4 hours ago, marci22 said:

I thought they originally had 'Star Class hours' for these activities. What happened to that?

It never came to fruition. The same came be said for Sky Class, as it was eluded too.

2 hours ago, dodgestang said:

The have 'key' hours for Flowrider and cars which is first come/first served but you have to have the key to get in line.

I did notice the Genie who recommended times we do things did not overlap Star with Key 😉

I also rented the flow rider for an hour on our first sailing to allow my kids the chance to learn how to do it without looking like they butt in line over and over and over since they would fall alot....it lasted about 5 minutes..... LOLOLOLOLOLOL  they didn't like it.

I always wait with everyone else for the flow rider and so does my son.  We do rent the wave a few times a cruise but we are what you might consider Wave Junkies. 😉

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

I have not heard of Star guests being able to go on Flowrider during Key sessions - though those are down to as little as one hour per sailing. Also, while part of the perk, I have yet to witness a Star guest cut the line at any regular Flowrider session.

Biker, we have been told that we can join in.  That being said the Key hours are few and not at great times so we never have.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 10:23 PM, xpcdoojk said:

The problem is 90% of the people on a cruise have no idea what star class is or what it costs.  When booking a cruise, they go, the price for an inside cabin is... ok I can afford that.  The price for an ocean view is.... ok, I can afford that if we eat Mac n cheese for a couple of months.  The price for the balcony and the fresh air, OMG, I can’t afford that.  Well maybe we can if I throw away my cigarettes and my bowling league this year.  OK... we can do this, but I am going to have a lot of money backing up on the interest on my credit card.  They see the other categories and go, OMG, I could not justify spending $5000 a person for a family of four to go on vacation that is enough for a car.  They just ignore everything about that booking other than the unaffordable price.

In other words, they never ever look at what perks come with the Star class suite.  So, they have no idea, and are justified in their belief that people are cutting line.  All the people in line see is that people are cutting in line.  

That said, you pay for the perks, and while the highest class I have sailed is Sea class, I could afford and understand what Star Class is... I would want exactly what I paid for.  Of all of the things RCI does well, this kind of crap they do the worst.

jc

You are absolutely right, and people need to understand that RCL is only trying to compete with the luxury lines in order to keep the $$ rolling in, and to keep it cheaper for everyone else.  What no one seems to realize is that there are a ton of us out there that would prefer the luxury lines, but they are not as child friendly.  So, they created this "niche" for this particular demographic, and has been amazingly successful. The beautiful suites along with the personalized service with the genies has kept a whole subset of customers engaged that normally would have left to book other vacations.  That has kept prices down for others.  But, the "others" have to understand that they have not paid the premium that the SC has, and yes, SC pax deserve the perks because they have paid for them.    As you said, the differential is significant, yet they have no clues as to what the SC is paying.  RCCL should perhaps subtly put the word out that there are differences in classes, though I realize that this is a difficult concept for most.  

If anyone out there has some better ideas as to how to smooth things over and make things great, I'd love to hear them!

On 8/14/2019 at 12:07 PM, A&L_Ont said:

It never came to fruition. The same came be said for Sky Class, as it was eluded too.

I always wait with everyone else for the flow rider and so does my son.  We do rent the wave a few times a cruise but we are what you might consider Wave Junkies. 😉

Biker, we have been told that we can join in.  That being said the Key hours are few and not at great times so we never have.

Andrew, you guys have a lot more common decency than a lot of people. You do have the right to go to the first of the line but you have said many times you do not take advantage of that. Very nice.

We were just on Ovation in star class. My daughter is 7 and wanted to do the bumper cars. I can tell you that we had to wait 5 turns between riding. Thus it was about a 20 minute wait (I asked our genie if that is normal and she said yes when the line is over half way around the SeaPlex). I had told my daughter that we will only use the benefit twice so waiting that long was a bit annoying when we could have just of well stood in line ... but I told her in life you take turns and she was fine. 

BTW even my 71 year old parents shared a car and has an amazing time. It took me a minute to find out to reverse the car but once we did .... 

we are back to star class from Hawaii to Vancouver next May. We will be hitting up the bumper cars (not the skating ... that was hot and took too long to put on the gear.)

Leanna

We were in a similar situation, and I told my husband we needed to stop after riding twice.  I could see other people were waiting.  

But then we are not children and we didn’t have children with us.  

Ultimately it is on Royal to figure it out how to please all their customers.  They want big bucks from star class, and they also want regular money from non suites pax. Then they better set realistic expectations for all.  

A little reverse class envy to stir the discussion juices at cruise critic? Nothing wrong with gettng a perk and cutting to the front of the line, but no need to whine about it afterwards. Now, thinking you’re being targeted in bumper cars because others aren’t following your personal rules and are actually bumping your car? Sorry, the perk entitlement stops once you get in the car, for the next 3 minutes you’re just like everyone else. Life is full of challenges.

El Abuelo,  I hear what you are saying, and ok, you can take things out on people as you see fit.  But purposely hitting a bumper car aggressively is a bit over the top, especially if a YOUNG CHILD is involved.  Then, you are just a jerk if you injure someone, even if you believe they deserve it because “perk entitlement stops once you get into the car.”  

3 hours ago, kmorg1234 said:

El Abuelo,  I hear what you are saying, and ok, you can take things out on people as you see fit.  But purposely hitting a bumper car aggressively is a bit over the top, especially if a YOUNG CHILD is involved.  Then, you are just a jerk if you injure someone, even if you believe they deserve it because “perk entitlement stops once you get into the car.”  

Where did the 'young child' come from?

In the OP's case it was himself and his wife that were being targeted and not his kids. Unless you are talking hypothetically?

We are Star Class and we take advantage of going to the front of the line.  That is one of the perks we paid for and we will use them.  We do, however, not ride more than 2 times in a row and the second time it is not our family of 4 but just my granddaughter.  If people were more aware of what they are booking, and the information is on the RCI sight, when you are looking at rooms then you can get a better understanding of what is available.  Before we booked our first SC cruise we looked to see what was available and then what came with a room we were looking at.  In my world that is making a more informed choice or decision.  I am amazed at the number of people who book a room, drink package, dining package, and whatever else there is on the ship to book and then complain about the price.  We are on Liberty in March 2020 in the family suite and there is nothing included.  We have booked the things we want to do and are finding that we could have book a SC suite on a ship that has that class and spent about the same amount of money.  If you are upset about the people going to the front of the line, find out how they can do that and then research your next cruise better.  It gets a little tiring hearing everyone complain about SC and what we get away with.  If it is too expensive for you then save for 2 years to get that class of service, that is what we did.