Luggage

QueSeraSera

Browsing many threads here at CC and on the cruise line we've booked our first cruise ever on, I'm pretty sure we need to buy at least one piece of luggage.  Both my wife and I already have good carry-ons and we understand we should definitely use those.  We would greatly appreciate tips from experienced cruisers for the bags we will check on the airline and leave at the dock to be delivered to our cabin.  CC does not appreciate using the boards for ads, so we're just asking for general descriptions of what has worked for you. 

1 large suitcase each plus a carry on each we find quite sufficient, the airlines I believe have weight limits so if you stick with that you should be fine, we always over-pack, always have and probably always will for cruises, but we always like to be prepared. Its a good idea to also look through this site for handy tips of what to pack, there's lots of little bits and pieces we pack now that we never thought about on our first cruise, things like little sewing kits, magnetic hooks and clips ( he walls are metal) so its handy for hanging up wet towels etc.

• Like 2

After 20+ cruises and luggage galore, what works for us is the medium size suitcase. One that’s usually advertised as 26”. We also like hard-sided and spinner wheels. We tried the 30” but got tired of DW doing the shuffle at the airport. 

• Like 1

If you are flying buy the lightest weight bags you can find. There is a weight limit of 50 lbs for checked luggage on a plane. Other than that, buy what you like, some people like spinners (4 wheels) other like 2 wheels. Some like duffel bag styles, others a more traditional shape. Some people get hard side and other get soft sided bags.

Don't be afraid to shop non traditional places, like COSTCO or SAMS or any other discount place.

There is no right or wrong other than paying too much, because whatever you buy is going to get beaten up on the first flight. I have been using a duffel style that I got at Costco about 7 or 8 years ago. It has been on over 15 cruises and too many flights to count and is still going strong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You've got 3 main decisions to make.

1. Size. You'll find suitcases anywhere from 21 to 30 inches. But the bigger the bag, the more it will weigh fully loaded, and the max allowed for checked bags on most airlines us 50 pounds.  It is REALLY easy to go overweight with the 28 or 30 inch bags. So either get a luggage scale (inexpensive; buy wherever travel accessories are sold), or just go with a 24-26 inch suitcase. I can easily pack for a couple of weeks between my carry on and my 26 inch.

2. 2 wheels or 4 (spinner). 2 wheels are pulled behind you and are good at handling rough surfaces like gravel or cobble stone streets. But they may tip over easily when standing on their own. Spinners are a breeze to push in front or beside you, using little effort on flat,  hard, smooth surfaces, but can be very difficult on carpets,  and uneven or rough surfaces.  Some brands have quite weak wheels that can break when they hit curbs or cobbles.  If you do a lot of international land travel, you may find 2 wheelers more practical. I love my 21 and 26 inch 2 wheelers. I have a 28 inch spinner that I will only use if I'm going on a long cruise. Otherwise it's just a PITA.

3. Soft side or hard side. Soft side will alow you to overstuff to some extent, and most have exterior zippered pockets for easy access to items you may need without opening the whole bag. Hard side will be more water resistant if your bag ends up out on the  luggage cart in the middle of a rain storm, and obviously won't be as susceptible to tears or rips. But they don't  (usually) come with exterior pockets, can't be overstuffed (unless you sit on it to close it), and are susceptible to dents and scrapes.

There's no right or wrong (aside from picking a bag that is lightweight for its size- that should be a given). You have to figure out what your needs are and pick the suitcase that meets your needs best.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

Browsing many threads here at CC and on the cruise line we've booked our first cruise ever on, I'm pretty sure we need to buy at least one piece of luggage.  Both my wife and I already have good carry-ons and we understand we should definitely use those.  We would greatly appreciate tips from experienced cruisers for the bags we will check on the airline and leave at the dock to be delivered to our cabin.  CC does not appreciate using the boards for ads, so we're just asking for general descriptions of what has worked for you. 

We usually travel 4-6 weeks at a time, e.g. a week In Europe somewhere, 3-4 weeks aboard a ship on a back-to-back cruise, a few more days after debarkation, then home. We quickly learned that hauling too much “stuff” is a real pain. Less is better. She packs a standard four wheel hard-side carryon sized bag, which gets checked. And she carries a largish shoulder bag, almost like a tote bag but much more expensive. Her suitcase typically weighs in at about 26lbs. I travel with a 24” hard-side which gets checked, and carry a small backpack for my camera gear, chargers, and anything else that might trigger a TSA search of the checked luggage. My bag is usually about 30lbs. Both our bags have an “expansion” zipper but have never traveled with either suitcase in expanded mode. I prefer two wheels to four but either is ok. My general rule is to not rely on wheels. If I can’t lift and carry the bag some distance, it is too heavy. Wheels are of no help on a gravel path, a deteriorating sidewalk, etc. So I see the wheels as a luxury which may have occasional utility. I’ve never asked dockside or onboard staff which configuration they prefer, but I suspect that they usually carry rather than wheel.

Whatever you get, do add a few identifying marks/stickers/whatever so that your generic bag will stand out a bit when you look for it in a stack of luggage...

Stan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, zqvol said:

If you are flying buy the lightest weight bags you can find. There is a weight limit of 50 lbs for checked luggage on a plane. Other than that, buy what you like, some people like spinners (4 wheels) other like 2 wheels. Some like duffel bag styles, others a more traditional shape. Some people get hard side and other get soft sided bags.

Don't be afraid to shop non traditional places, like COSTCO or SAMS or any other discount place.

There is no right or wrong other than paying too much, because whatever you buy is going to get beaten up on the first flight. I have been using a duffel style that I got at Costco about 7 or 8 years ago. It has been on over 15 cruises and too many flights to count and is still going strong.

If you do go with luggage from Costco or Sam"s Club (we have some luggage from Costco), just be aware that many other passengers also are traveling with the same luggage.  Be extra careful when you claim your luggage at the end of the trip - that you grabbed the correct medium black carry-on suitcase!  ;  )

• Like 2

Six years ago, after being 'on the road' for about six weeks, we made the decision that we would only travel with carryon size luggage.  Dragging that extra suitcase from curb to checkin counter, from baggage claim to car, or across Piazzale Roma to our hotel was too much.  We travel with a backpack each, and a rollaboard each.  If I had to take a third bag to check, it would be another rollaboard size.

You need to decide how much stuff you want to take - versus how much stuff you really need.  Sometimes you have to learn this by experience.  We are big on mix & match.  Limit the shoes.  We do laundry.  It has become a challenge for us.  We enjoy it.  WE are also in our mid-70s.  EM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

CC does not appreciate using the boards for ads, so we're just asking for general descriptions of what has worked for you. 

I'm pretty sure luggage recommendations are OK -- it's just mentions of travel agents/agencies and their websites that are forbidden. I see TravelPro recommended a lot; I think that's the brand flight crews are said to use the most. I'm not sure if flight crews have to live by their own companies' weight limits though! Those bags look sturdy but heavy.

Over years of down-sizing our packing, just barely keeping up with the ever lower allowances and higher prices for checked bags on flights, we do as EssiesMom and others on CC: travel carryon only. We own spinners from a warehouse store, but only used them a few trips when some airline's weight limit (for CARRYON) caused me to find a much lighter bag: the 3.5lb IT-Luggage Los Angeles carryon. They are sold by eBags website, which I recommend for comparing brands and features.

Our IT carryons (which have occasionally been checked and frequently piled under buses on land-trips) have held up well, and I have gotten different colors for several family members!

ETA: the Lightest line does come in larger sizes as well, and IT makes other models including four-wheelers.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Thanks 1

As others stated, airlines will charge you extra if your luggage is over 50 pounds. I purchased a hand-held luggage scale to weigh luggage once packed - Walmart.

One thing I learned using hard-shell carry-on luggage, it does not "give" when trying to squeeze it into the plane's over-head compartment.

626d5461-ad52-4e14-a02e-d3dd63bddaa0_1.425cfe00177a081d591712247a83d7f7[1].jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mom says said:

You've got 3 main decisions to make.

1. Size. You'll find suitcases anywhere from 21 to 30 inches. But the bigger the bag, the more it will weigh fully loaded, and the max allowed for checked bags on most airlines us 50 pounds.  It is REALLY easy to go overweight with the 28 or 30 inch bags. So either get a luggage scale (inexpensive; buy wherever travel accessories are sold), or just go with a 24-26 inch suitcase. I can easily pack for a couple of weeks between my carry on and my 26 inch.

2. 2 wheels or 4 (spinner). 2 wheels are pulled behind you and are good at handling rough surfaces like gravel or cobble stone streets. But they may tip over easily when standing on their own. Spinners are a breeze to push in front or beside you, using little effort on flat,  hard, smooth surfaces, but can be very difficult on carpets,  and uneven or rough surfaces.  Some brands have quite weak wheels that can break when they hit curbs or cobbles.  If you do a lot of international land travel, you may find 2 wheelers more practical. I love my 21 and 26 inch 2 wheelers. I have a 28 inch spinner that I will only use if I'm going on a long cruise. Otherwise it's just a PITA.

3. Soft side or hard side. Soft side will alow you to overstuff to some extent, and most have exterior zippered pockets for easy access to items you may need without opening the whole bag. Hard side will be more water resistant if your bag ends up out on the  luggage cart in the middle of a rain storm, and obviously won't be as susceptible to tears or rips. But they don't  (usually) come with exterior pockets, can't be overstuffed (unless you sit on it to close it), and are susceptible to dents and scrapes.

There's no right or wrong (aside from picking a bag that is lightweight for its size- that should be a given). You have to figure out what your needs are and pick the suitcase that meets your needs best.

OMG, I never thought about my bags in a rain storm! 

7 hours ago, CoolOne56 said:

OMG, I never thought about my bags in a rain storm! 

That could be a snowstorm, too.  You can even get damp clothing in a hard side case if it closes with zippers.  Damp clothing is not a problem - it will dry - unless the color runs...onto something light/white.  Our luggage sat out on the cart in a snowstorm and my sister had a brightly colored scarf bleed onto a white blouse.  Fortunately, we were able to get most of it out with Tide 2 Go.  Some people deal with this potential problem by lining the interior with plastic bags.

Do some looking online, but before buying, go looking.  Start with WalMart, Target, Burlington (Coat Factory in the past), dept. store luggage sections, TJMaxx, Ross, Tuesday Morning, etc.  Other than wheels and hard side/soft side, decide what you want in a bag.  Our requirements are that at least one side inside must totally zip closed.  We want one that opens flat.  In addition to the handle on top, if must have a handle on the side and it would be nice to have a grip on the bottom - to help us heave them into the overhead bin.  Be wary of the bags that have a usb charger in them, because airlines are making you remove the battery.  If you choose to carry a backpack, try to get one that has a trolley sleeve on the back so that if you get tired of wearing it, you can slip it down over the handle of your rolling bag.  Have fun! 

EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't understand why the OP is asking about purchasing new luggage when they already have suitcases.  I sailed Alaska this May with a 19 inch roll aboard in which I had also packed a lightweight down jacket.  Unless you are cruising Cunard and  are packing tuxedos and evening gowns you really don't need to expand luggage.

OP just pack what you would normally carry on a week's vacation, if you both can do it with roll aboards and tote bags/backpacks that should do you well.  Then hand your suitcases over to the porters at the pier and you only need to carry your tote/backpacks around until staterooms are ready.  Have a lovely cruise.

Edited by Sauer-kraut
  • Thanks 1

I usually carry one 25 inch checked bag (Travel-Pro) and an underseat carry-on wheeled bag.  Also a small personal item like a back pack or purse.  

Unless you carry bricks, it's hard to go overweight with the 25 or 26 size.  I think the most it ever weighed was 43 pounds, and that was with the extra part expanded.  That's the only time I've ever used that feature. The normal weight is about 35 pounds fully packed.

My sister, on the other hand used a 28 inch bag and after packing it, it was just a couple of ounces under the limit.   

Edited by Blondilu
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences and opinions.  Just spent an internet hour or so at eBags, G RO, and Amazon following up on your suggestions.  We will be at Costco & other stores tomorrow (we were going to Costco anyway).  I'm pretty sure I would have bought too large of a bag if not for your input, we'll target 26" or smaller.

I also appreciate these suggestions: 

18 hours ago, crystalspin said:

travel carryon only

18 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

We travel with a backpack each, and a rollaboard each

6 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

do it with roll aboards and tote bags/backpacks

Perhaps we can get to where you are.  This is our first cruise and I expect we are going to be guilty of overpacking, but we are going to Alaska (Sauer-Kraut kind of killed this excuse though), and really want to be prepared to enjoy it. 

Thanks again to each of you for your thoughtful posts!

On 8/11/2019 at 3:16 PM, QueSeraSera said:

Perhaps we can get to where you are.  This is our first cruise and I expect we are going to be guilty of overpacking, but we are going to Alaska (Sauer-Kraut kind of killed this excuse though), and really want to be prepared to enjoy it. 

QSS:

We did not get to carryon only in one step! We started with two 29" pullmans with some sort of backpack-y carryons (one was Eagle-Creek with an additional zip-off minipack). All contents were carefully crosspacked. One trip we came off the plane in Dublin and our checked bags did not... and I realized we would be OK with what we were carrying. This was a game-changer! although the suitcases were delivered to our hotel that evening.

We also have experienced what is TOO LIGHT packing. (1) We went to Ecuador with TINY mini-suitcases that would actually fit under the seats. Only the shoes on our feet... and the heel came off mine on the ramp off the airplane in Quito! Fortunately we had nothing scheduled for the first afternoon and there was an indoor mall a couple blocks from the hotel. (2) With the new super-low-carryon allowances, we whittled our roll-aboard+new ultra-light daypacks down to 10kg (22lbs) TOGETHER per person to fly on Norwegian Air. We wound up paying more for laundry than a checked bag would have been (plus I bought 3-4 T-shirts from the bargain table on RCI). So when we flew home from CPH a few months later with them, I carefully rearranged the weight with a handscale like CoolOne showed above and checked one roll-aboard, and I used my DH's larger daypack as my carryon while he used a very small pack for his netbook computer, that had packed flat in suitcase on the way there.

One thing about checking a bag is: when I hand it over to the checkin desk personnel, I say goodbye to everything in it. If and when I later claim it, it's like a gift! This approach affects even the clothing I pack in a bag I will check. (Gate checking is a little different, or so I feel; it has a bit less chance to go astray.)

In October, we are flying with FinnAir for a land-based trip in Europe. Their carryon allowance is 8kg (17.5lbs) for rollaboard AND personal item! With fees for checked bags by the piece, we will check one cross-packed bag and carryon about what we did on the second Norwegian Air flight, just packed even lighter!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

One thing about checking a bag is: when I hand it over to the checkin desk personnel, I say goodbye to everything in it. If and when I later claim it, it's like a gift!

Your attitude is terrific! 

Reading many different threads on CC, I'm thinking a positive attitude might be the most essential thing to pack.

Today at Costco were some nice luggage options, but they were bundled with a carry on which we don't need, and so lost their cost advantage. 

More "too light packing" experiences like you shared would be informative for us first time cruisers to read, including how they were resolved (as you did in Quito).  But I won't start a new thread - we will be on board in less than 3 weeks!

• Like 1

One thing I find room for (in the bottom of my daypack) is a roll-up toiletry bag like this: 

Image result for roll up toiletry bag

But not for toiletries, it is first aid and "dry" health necessities. I did put it all in a gallon ziplock when weighing every little thing for that first Norwegian Air flight, but I vastly prefer being able to hang in on the back of the door, and knowing where everything is.

Do you know there is a tablet form of cough suppressant? Mucinex or generic dextromethorphan! Doesn't have to go in 3-1-1 bag if flying and costs much less than cough syrup if you have to buy in on the ship. I also take Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Benedryl -- I bought dollar-store containers and filled them to the max from home supplies. That provides enough for middle-of-the-night needs, and often enough to get to a shore-side store.

Speaking of 3-1-1 bag: you can get A LOT of stuff in there if you don't treat 3oz as a requirement. I have 1.25oz GoToob containers for my shampoo and gel -- I do have v.short hair -- but 2oz container may be all you need even with long or demanding hair. That's for 2-3 weeks. I haven't gone as far as bar-shampoo, but some people do! 

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

As others have said, don't get giant bags, or you will be unpacked stuff at the airport. 🙂

I buy most of my luggage from eBags.  

For most of my travel, I prefer an asymmetrical bag.   That is it, when laying flat, it opens near the top.  For most of my traveling, I do not unpack.  I leave must stuff in the suitcase, like a big drawer.  Due to space, on cruises, I do unpack.

As has been stated, look for light weight.  50 pounds max, without hefty fees.  So if your bag weighs 20, you can only pack 30.  

I prefer spinners.  You can drag them like a 2 wheel.  But are more convenient with you have more than one.

• Thanks 1

Cardinal rule #1 you will overpack, even the veterans find they can get by with less.       For my many roadtrips found I can easily do 10 days with rollerboard and a good backpack.   

Cruises, the longer ones where one wants/does bring nicer things like extra pair of dress shoes, suit/tie and dress, these are often larger volume but lighter in weight, as other posters said mix/match, bring stuff you can hand wash.    

After being a road warrior I still find I can trim more.   

Personally think a "medium" suitcase from big box place is good enough, as another poster said give it a good scarf, or other unique tag as everyone has similar looking suitcase coming off the baggage claim.

Enjoy that first cruise!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chipmaster said:

For my many roadtrips found I can easily do 10 days with rollerboard and a good backpack.   

For a second I thought you were saying that you carry those on an airplane but now see it's for roadtrips.  Good 🙂