Best transportation from Cape Liberty to Manhattan

dcac2

We are planning to spend a few days post cruise in New York.  What would be the be way to get from Cape Liberty cruise port to our mid-Manhattan hotel?  Taxi? Uber? Private car transport? 

3 hours ago, dcac2 said:

We are planning to spend a few days post cruise in New York.  What would be the be way to get from Cape Liberty cruise port to our mid-Manhattan hotel?  Taxi? Uber? Private car transport? 

Car service such as Dial 7 or Carmel Limo, or Uber.

We used Carmel and were happy with it. The only thing that annoyed me was that the driver was really early, and even after his first phone call when I told him we’d be off at the appointed time, he kept calling and texting me to see where we were. 

1 hour ago, cft8 said:

We used Carmel and were happy with it. The only thing that annoyed me was that the driver was really early, and even after his first phone call when I told him we’d be off at the appointed time, he kept calling and texting me to see where we were. 

I am wondering what time to book the car be there to meet us.  If we are able to walk off with our own luggage we could definitely disembark quicker, but I would hate to be delayed getting off the ship & missing our meeting time.  I assume your driver waited for you with no issue?

There are some ‘not so good’ reviews on both Dial 7 & Carmel on Trip Advisor recently....that is definitely concerning!

3 minutes ago, dcac2 said:

I am wondering what time to book the car be there to meet us.  If we are able to walk off with our own luggage we could definitely disembark quicker, but I would hate to be delayed getting off the ship & missing our meeting time.  I assume your driver waited for you with no issue?

There are some ‘not so good’ reviews on both Dial 7 & Carmel on Trip Advisor recently....that is definitely concerning!

We booked for 9:30. We were not in a hurry, and I like to take my time and have breakfast on the last morning. You’ll never find me in the self-assist line! 🙂

I don’t remember what time we got our departure tags for, but disembarkation was smooth. We had a lot of luggage, so we got a porter and they go to a separate immigration line, so we only had a couple of people in front of us. 

It was slightly chaotic at the curb, but the driver will have a sign in the window with your name and you just call and tell them what zone you are in. 

I didn’t look at many reviews, just that they have generally good feedback here. We also used them to get back to EWR at the end of their stay and that trip was just fine as well. 

2 hours ago, dcac2 said:

I am wondering what time to book the car be there to meet us.  If we are able to walk off with our own luggage we could definitely disembark quicker, but I would hate to be delayed getting off the ship & missing our meeting time.

Its why just hitting a button on your phone when you want for Uber or Lyft is so convenient...

Dial 7/Carmel are essentially the same thing-- car service aggregators without the slick technology. They don't own/operate any of the cars you are in or employ the drivers. I've had good experiences, I've had bad experiences with both. Prior to my company asking us to use Uber/Lyft we had a Carmel house account to I used them quite a bit. Honestly, theres no major advantage over the apps and I think that Uber/Lyft are more convenient. 

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Its why just hitting a button on your phone when you want for Uber or Lyft is so convenient...

Dial 7/Carmel are essentially the same thing-- car service aggregators without the slick technology. They don't own/operate any of the cars you are in or employ the drivers. I've had good experiences, I've had bad experiences with both. Prior to my company asking us to use Uber/Lyft we had a Carmel house account to I used them quite a bit. Honestly, theres no major advantage over the apps and I think that Uber/Lyft are more convenient. 

I didn't realize that those companies do not own/operate any of their cars...very interesting.  We have used Uber in the past & it has worked well...& on occasion, not so well 😕

So truly, it sounds as though we are better off just calling for an Uber when we need one when we get off the ship.    Do you know if the Uber cost included the toll fare?  The other companies quote a price + tolls, + tip...& perhaps + waiting time..

34 minutes ago, dcac2 said:

Do you know if the Uber cost included the toll fare?  The other companies quote a price + tolls, + tip...& perhaps + waiting time..

It didn't always used to be the case but they do now factor in tolls into the estimate you see before you book. They reserve the right to add if you end up taking a different route than the estimate assumes and you incur additional tolls but it's never really something that comes to pass. 

There are times that Dial 7/Carmel can be less expensive, or provide a town car for the price of an UberX, but if we're talking about sheer convenience/efficiency in the face of thousands of people getting off a cruise ship at the same time, I personally would use Uber or Lyft.