Included transport to Southampton

Jammy Bun

We live approximately 265 miles from the cruise port.  I see that shared chauffeur service is included if the distance is less than 250 miles, but am unclear as to what happens if you have to make your way to Southampton on public transport... do Saga include a taxi to get me to the rail station or airport for example, and a transfer at the other end?

Or - thinking laterally - could I pay for a taxi to take me to a town 16 miles from here to be picked up by the included chauffeur car service?  

We are Viking Oceans lovers, but are considering trying Saga's new ship, which seems to be similar.  The only drawbacks I can see are the formal evenings.  Been there, done that, and now have the (Viking) t-shirt!  

Thanks

Janet

You can buy the extra mileage from Saga if you're more than 250 miles from the port but want to save faffing around splitting your journey, or using your own car or public transport.

The formal evenings on Saga are a benefit of their cruises not being overly port intensive: you get whole days in which to concentrate on enjoying the ship and her facilities, plus you get time to dress for dinner. 

Edited by kentchris

Yes,  you can pay a bit more - well worth it to be picked up at your front door and have your bags carried for you all the way until you see them in your cabin.

Also, formal does not have to be very formal - although about half of men will wear a dj, the rest will be in a suit or sports jacket and tie.  Women do not wear 'ball gowns' type of dresses, many wear short smart dresses, or smart trousers and an evening type top.  There would probably be two on a weeks cruise, and three or four on two or more weeks, but other evenings no jacket is required for men, or tie.

The new ships are a world away from the old ones, which are charming and very well run, but small and old-fashioned in some ways.  Hope you will take the plunge!

We board the Spirit of Discovery in 3 weeks.  We have done 3 Viking Ocean cruises, and we also thought the ships look very similar.  We shall see !

Also not keen  on the formal evenings.  Was just about to get out my long formal dresses but may re-assess in the light of what lincslady says.  We have been on two Viking ships over New Year and everyone put on a little 'sparkle' so I will pack just what I would for Viking I think.

Mrs. M - just re-read my post - regarding men's formal wear, yes, probably about half in dj, but most of the rest in a suit, not very many in sports jacket although on Sapphire it is considered OK.    I just wonder if Spirit might be a bit more 'dressy', though I doubt women in proper evening dresses, i.e. gownless evening straps!  On Sapphire some wear long black skirts, or black velvet trousers or similar or what you could call  'cocktail' dresses.

Thanks Lincslady.  DH still fits into his DJ and has today received a new bow tie ordered via Amazon - so he is all set.  I do have proper evening dresses, way in the back of the wardrobe, but I think they are likely to stay there.  May have fun later today seeing if any still fit !  However I think I will probably stay with my usual evening cruise stuff.  A statement necklace and long sparkly earrings can be added if necessary.

Thanks for the replies, especially about the 250 miles limit.

As to the formal nights, it is still the main thing that is deterring me from booking.  I find it old fashioned and pretentious!  I really fancy the 35 night 'Fairy Tale of new York' Saga cruise this December, but the thought of about TEN nights when we'd be forced to don formal attire is really off-putting.  And it says the dress code is enforced throughout the ship, so we couldn't even nip up to the buffet in our smart casual evening clothes.  

Mrs Miggins, as a fellow Viking afficionado, I look forward to hearing your views on your return.  

It will hopefully become clearer as to what is expected and what is actually worn on 'formal' nights when we get some more reports from those who have already been on Discovery.  My observations are purely from Pearl and Sapphire, and it is possible that formals could be less - or, unlikely,  even more  - formal on the new ship.  Formals for women are IMO, not so arduous - most things we wear nowadays are comfortable, or can be;  it is the grumbling  husbands who have to wear a constricting suit and even the dreaded bow tie who get the worst of it.

Do Viking not even need men to wear a jacket some evenings on their ships?

I disagree a little. It’s easier for men, they wear one suit, be it a DJ or dark lounge suit and perhaps just vary the ties. For women, we tend to think we need to wear different outfits each time. For my upcoming 7 nighter, that’s fine, especially with no restrictions on my luggage caused by flying. 

Our most recently cruised line, Azamara, is ‘Smart Casual’ or ‘Country Club’ Casual. every night. Men just need perhaps a collared shirt, even if only a polo shirt. Most wear regular shirts and a few a ‘sports’ jacket on occasions but it’s not required. Women of course have almost Carte Blanche. On the 17 night fly/cruise we took earlier this year, having Formal nights for us would have been a nightmare. 

I quite see what you mean, Cinnamon.  However, my DH just doesn't like being trussed up in his 30 year old DJ (fitted him when new, then didn't, but now he is slimmer again it does).  I am lazy, and just wear black velvet trousers each formal, and having cruised a lot, have quite a few sparkly/dressy tops or jackets to go with them - probably about half a dozen, all comfortable.

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

It will hopefully become clearer as to what is expected and what is actually worn on 'formal' nights when we get some more reports from those who have already been on Discovery.  My observations are purely from Pearl and Sapphire, and it is possible that formals could be less - or, unlikely,  even more  - formal on the new ship.  Formals for women are IMO, not so arduous - most things we wear nowadays are comfortable, or can be;  it is the grumbling  husbands who have to wear a constricting suit and even the dreaded bow tie who get the worst of it.

Do Viking not even need men to wear a jacket some evenings on their ships?

Viking just require men to wear a collared shirt (and trousers of course!) in the restaurants.  No rules about long/short sleeves and you sometimes see polo shirts - very, very, occasionally a man might be wearing a jacket, and even more rarely a tie.  Actually, I don't recall ever seeing anyone wearing a tie on our last Viking cruise, which was a 4 week one earlier this year.  You can eat in the buffet wearing casual gear (within reason) and the bars and other public areas have no restrictions that I'm aware of.  

Women also dress more casually on Viking in the evenings.  For a two week cruise I would take a couple of dresses, but they're the sort that I could wear during the daytime as well as evening, plus trousers and tops which are also used during the day.  Sequins were very rarely seen!  So long as you're clean and tidy, who really cares what you're wearing?  I wear what I would wear to go to a restaurant at home... no need for the diamonds and glitter.  For me, it's a holiday and I want to relax, not worry about what to wear and what people think of my outfit.

So I look forward to the first reviews of Discovery with interest, as I'd love to cruise from the UK again.  (That's the downside of Viking, mostly you have to fly somewhere to board the ship).

• 2 weeks later...

The booklet recieved after you have booked includes information regarding the dress code on Spirit of Discovery.

As far as evening casual is concerned "a jacket is optional, but please no polo shirts, t-shirts, shorts or denim"