Is Hong Kong safe?

RJB

18 hours ago, gofloat said:

Airport closed again and subways attacked.  Is there any chance Celebrity will change a final destination port?  We leave in November and it certainly does not look like things are calming down.  I have not purchased my departure air ticket yet and wonder how long it takes Celebrity to make decisions when there is unrest.

If there are (and that´s a big IF with a turnaround port) any changes, they can be on short notice.
We have had that happen with Istanbul and seen it happen with Ashdod (Jerusalem).

Personally I am not worried. We have been to HK many times and would stick to the "safe" areas if possible. Until now most (not all) of the problems occured in the financial district (on HK Island). Worst case is that we would stay on board on the last day and travel straight to the airport after disembarkation. The airport is not frequently affected and even if it is, we´ll see what the airline comes up with. 

I am very pragmatic : I try not to worry about things I can´t change and which might or might not happen in 6 months.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2019 at 4:20 AM, Miaminice said:

If there are (and that´s a big IF with a turnaround port) any changes, they can be on short notice.
We have had that happen with Istanbul and seen it happen with Ashdod (Jerusalem).

Personally I am not worried. We have been to HK many times and would stick to the "safe" areas if possible. Until now most (not all) of the problems occured in the financial district (on HK Island). Worst case is that we would stay on board on the last day and travel straight to the airport after disembarkation. The airport is not frequently affected and even if it is, we´ll see what the airline comes up with. 

I am very pragmatic : I try not to worry about things I can´t change and which might or might not happen in 6 months.

Unfortunately, the airport IS a target.  Even if the protesters can't get in the airport, they are targeting transit stations and roads to the airport.  We'll see what effect yesterday's concessions by Lam have.  Time will tell.  We are moving forward with our plans for next month.  I'll say we won't "worry" but we are getting prepared for alternate transportation.  We'll also spend a day in Macau.

• Thanks 1

According to recent reports protesters will be out again this weekend blocking the roads and train to/from the airport on Saturday and to protest in front of US embassy on Sunday. They are not satisfied with only the propose extradition law withdrawn and want the other 4 demands.

We were in Hong Kong right before the turn over to China. Many residents were scared and some immigrated to  Canada, especially Vancouver.

On 9/3/2019 at 4:20 AM, Miaminice said:

Yes, an MTR station was closed, temporarily, but it's important to remember that there are many ways to get around HK Island and Kowloon, which is where most of the sightseeing is and where people tend to concentrate, aside from going to see the giant buddha or Tai-O or Macau, etc. 

There are trams, buses, taxis, and the Star Ferry goes across the harbor, definitely great to do that ride at least once if not more. So if for some reason you can't use the MTR, there are alternatives. I used all of these during one lengthy visit and it was all excellent. I don't remember why I taxi and I did it only once, I don't usually take taxis but it wasn't a long ride and so it wasn't too expensive. 

I'm from NYC, there's always something going on here, often quite big, sometimes rather small; things go on as usual. What slows us down is work on the subway but they tend to only do that on nights or weekends, or the coming UN General Assembly but locals know to go around that. Occupy Wall Street was mostly peaceful downtown and lasted awhile, things kept going. Only once, for about five or six days was everything at an absolute and complete standstill, almost exactly now, 18 years ago. Otherwise, I was very young, the transit strike a long time ago but...they can't do that now and people always find a way. Plus, ride sharing, bike sharing, it's a different world. ☺️

Hong Kong is another big, busy city that keeps moving. The protests are obviously effective, but the city isn't stopping and is still safe to visit. 

Edited by Host Bonjour

Just a FYI - for those with upcoming cruise(s) that embark and disembark in HKG (HKIA) over the next several months AND booked/planning to fly Cathay Pacific, the flagship airline based in HK with its key hub has announced - earlier this week - that a # of long haul oversea flights has been suspended, modified and/or adjusted due to reduced booking & drop in passenger (and, cargo) traffic due to the ongoing civil unrest ... with no apparent end in sight, not in the immediate future.

Please review your confirmed flights (especially if on CX or code-shared) and its scheduled, as well as possible change in aircraft configuration resulting in seat assignments being shuffled (i.e. no longer on that prized B773's bulkhead E+ seat)

Airport Authorities HK has been advising passengers on outbound (departing) flights to plan to arrive at the Lantau airport island up to 3 hours before scheduled departure ... this is especially true if it is over the weekend - despite the court issuing an injunction against gatherings & protests on/near/around the HKIA.  HK Police has stepped up its presence last weekend and this weekend to regain stricter control of attempts to disrupt and stall the transportation systems serving the airport - still, expect possible, wildcat style, unannounced efforts to block passengers from getting to/from the airport in the coming weeks.  

The indirect results last weekend has been partially accounted for by protesters (rioters) to go beyond peaceful, non-violent gatherings in hitting various & different MTR stations and train lines all over Kowloon, HK and N.T. at different times ... "be water" (fluid ... hit & run tactics to disrupt) resulting in local train & light rail services being shut down on short notice by MTR authorities whenever major/serious incidents are being called in or reported.  

Trying to be as neutral and objective as I can and should be, it is sad - troubling and personally, deeply disappointed at the scale & magnitude of these events with the labels of "freedom & democracy" in the calls to "liberate Hong Kong" and "direct election", etc.   Airside at the airport, security is tight and everyone is safe but landside, near the departure hall and downstairs outside in the arriving level - it is sometimes touch & go.  One of my BIL was on his way to Vietnam 2 weeks ago & could've been trapped - luckily, he was in transit only & did not stay in town - he is on his way back to the US shortly, flying Cathay Pacific and will be in transit overnight, due back in the US tomorrow ... should be getting a detailed update/briefing from him, as there are several of them traveling as a group.  

For the latest & current news, updates & local alerts - I recommend using the (English) SCMP online portal/news website - it is free (limited to XX number of articles per month) - to get a feel for yourself of what is going on and the sentiments on the protests.  When & if prompted, select the HK or local edition of the SCMP news to read or look up the news, decide & evaluate for yourself (keep in mind that news are sometimes biased and tilted) - https://www.scmp.com/hk 

There are other news sources, 3 or more live, 24/7 streaming news services that DW has been watching to keep up with what's going on, often in "real time" mode - in local/native language, not useful to English-only readers & to follow the news.  

If your trip/stop to and at HK is coming up soon (1 to4 or 5 months from now) - as a port stop, I do NOT see any strong reasons to not cruise or go visit, the ship is among the safest place to be  - it will be secured and worst case situation, I am sure that the cruiseline will decide last minute to skip the port stop and/or advise passengers to not go ashore, especially not for independent DIY excursion(s).  The shopping malls nearest to the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal, including the MTR station/mall at Kowloon Bay & along that subway line has been hit by random protests, demonstrations & property destructions at the stations ... it is no longer confined to Central, Wan Chai or the infamous Prince Edward Station on Nathan Road - popular tourist sites familiar to just about any HK visitors.  

The risks are a bit higher, by no means deadly or dangerous but it will be unplesant & not a place that I think anyone wanted to be caught or trapped by - with these large gatherings - best to avoid, turn & walk away.  Police response & their presence has been stepped up and water cannon has been used, along with tear gas & pepper spray to disperse gathering crowds after repeated warnings to leave.  There's been talks of the PLA (mainland China's army being deployed or called in ... ) but authorities in Beijing still believe that the HK police force is capable and has the necessary means & resources to deal with these protests and demonstrations ... let's just wait & see.  

Pro-government/mainland locals or residents that are sometimes referred to as the silent majority, perhaps fearful of the "mob" like behaviors of the "black shirts" has been coming out with their counter-demonstrations in support of local authorities, calling for law & order ... resulting in clashes & fights among different camps, and police being accused of ...  It is a mess just trying to decode who is doing what, how & whether excessive force, lethal force or not were appropriate and unwarranted.  MTR authorities reported that the recent waves of vandalism and damages to nearly half of their stations & equipments, etc. are estimated to the upwards of $2 to 3 million USD alone, not counting the fare evasions (jumping the turnstiles - not using the Octopus Card) or the human "toll".)   Haven't seen the latest arrest figures, but police has given the cumulative count of those arrested to be somewhere over 1,200 over the last 3 months and close to/more than 1/3 of those charged with offenses are minors/teenagers age 15 and under.  

It's early Sunday (pre-dawn) morning already in HK now, police has denied and refused permission for one of the group of HK protest organizers to hold another major gathering on HK Island later today - the key question, we will learn & find out ater is what will happen ... it will likely be a repeat of what happened this Saturday already, police in riot gears moving in and making some arrests for those refused orders to leave or disperse, or as an indirect result of fights between opposing fractions. 

Nobody is sure of whether the HK government will invoke its special provisions to impose "emergency laws" similar to curfew ... some associating that with declaring martial laws (used previously by the colonia British government administration when it was running HK then, before 1997).  

Well, that's all for now on our end of watching the latest development. 

• Thanks 1

We're flying to Hong Kong from Chicago in less than a month on Cathay Pacific. Just checked and no change to our flight. On the other hand, earlier this month United cancelled it's nonstop flights from Chicago due to slow reservations & rebooked pax on from Newark but you could request flying through San Francisco. 

• Like 1

I'm on the same cruise as dabear and we are flying out in 26 days on Cathay Pacific from Boston.  I checked my flight after reading the post above and nothing has changed.  Our direct flight from Boston to Hong Kong is still good and and the plane is the same.  I do not mean to take advantage of the situation, but I was hoping for a cheap upgrade bid to business class, but Cathay is showing this as not available for our flight.  I do know that Premium Economy is  sold out.  We did arrange for private transportation as it's not worth it to risk airport express being down, but mainly because I don't want to navigate changes on MTR with a good deal of luggage before 6 am on a Sunday morning.  

Edited by hubofhockey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

I'm on the same cruise as dabear and we are flying out in 26 days on Cathay Pacific from Boston.  I checked my flight after reading the post above and nothing has changed.  Our direct flight from Boston to Hong Kong is still good and and the plane is the same.  I do not mean to take advantage of the situation, but I was hoping for a cheap upgrade bid to business class, but Cathay is showing this as not available for our flight.  I do know that Premium Economy is  sold out.  We did arrange for private transportation as it's not worth it to risk airport express being down, but mainly because I don't want to navigate changes on MTR with a good deal of luggage before 6 am on a Sunday morning.  

Interesting. We did purchase premium economy on CX and were also hoping to make a bid for business class. CX website indicates upgrade bidding to/from Hong Kong not available. I guess CX has enough business not to make upgrades available. See you soon Len.  Michael

Edited by dabear
  • Like 1

My husband is from Hong Kong but now holds a Canadian passport and we are retired in Cozumel, Mexico.

We were looking at a cruise to Japan out of Taiwan with a land visit to Hong Kong so he can renew his HK ID card.  The cruise got sold out before we could book so we thought about doing a land vacation.  Since my husband is Chinese, he has been watching the news from both sides and he decided that it wasn't safe enough so this will be our first time in years that we don't do our annual visit to Asia.

Hello

Trying not to be off topic I am going to assume all will be okay for my next March cruise so if anyone has a good hotel suggestion that's now on offer at a good price - that would be really nice....I was looking at Novotel's at about

£100 per night or so ....

2 hours ago, Smokeyone said:

Hello

Trying not to be off topic I am going to assume all will be okay for my next March cruise so if anyone has a good hotel suggestion that's now on offer at a good price - that would be really nice....I was looking at Novotel's at about

£100 per night or so ....

Got a great rate at Stanford Hillview. Will be there next week

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 1:58 PM, mking8288 said:

Just a FYI - for those with upcoming cruise(s) that embark and disembark in HKG (HKIA) over the next several months AND booked/planning to fly Cathay Pacific, the flagship airline based in HK with its key hub has announced - earlier this week - that a # of long haul oversea flights has been suspended, modified and/or adjusted due to reduced booking & drop in passenger (and, cargo) traffic due to the ongoing civil unrest ... with no apparent end in sight, not in the immediate future.

Please review your confirmed flights (especially if on CX or code-shared) and its scheduled, as well as possible change in aircraft configuration resulting in seat assignments being shuffled (i.e. no longer on that prized B773's bulkhead E+ seat)

Airport Authorities HK has been advising passengers on outbound (departing) flights to plan to arrive at the Lantau airport island up to 3 hours before scheduled departure ... this is especially true if it is over the weekend - despite the court issuing an injunction against gatherings & protests on/near/around the HKIA.  HK Police has stepped up its presence last weekend and this weekend to regain stricter control of attempts to disrupt and stall the transportation systems serving the airport - still, expect possible, wildcat style, unannounced efforts to block passengers from getting to/from the airport in the coming weeks.  

The indirect results last weekend has been partially accounted for by protesters (rioters) to go beyond peaceful, non-violent gatherings in hitting various & different MTR stations and train lines all over Kowloon, HK and N.T. at different times ... "be water" (fluid ... hit & run tactics to disrupt) resulting in local train & light rail services being shut down on short notice by MTR authorities whenever major/serious incidents are being called in or reported.  

Trying to be as neutral and objective as I can and should be, it is sad - troubling and personally, deeply disappointed at the scale & magnitude of these events with the labels of "freedom & democracy" in the calls to "liberate Hong Kong" and "direct election", etc.   Airside at the airport, security is tight and everyone is safe but landside, near the departure hall and downstairs outside in the arriving level - it is sometimes touch & go.  One of my BIL was on his way to Vietnam 2 weeks ago & could've been trapped - luckily, he was in transit only & did not stay in town - he is on his way back to the US shortly, flying Cathay Pacific and will be in transit overnight, due back in the US tomorrow ... should be getting a detailed update/briefing from him, as there are several of them traveling as a group.  

For the latest & current news, updates & local alerts - I recommend using the (English) SCMP online portal/news website - it is free (limited to XX number of articles per month) - to get a feel for yourself of what is going on and the sentiments on the protests.  When & if prompted, select the HK or local edition of the SCMP news to read or look up the news, decide & evaluate for yourself (keep in mind that news are sometimes biased and tilted) - https://www.scmp.com/hk 

There are other news sources, 3 or more live, 24/7 streaming news services that DW has been watching to keep up with what's going on, often in "real time" mode - in local/native language, not useful to English-only readers & to follow the news.  

If your trip/stop to and at HK is coming up soon (1 to4 or 5 months from now) - as a port stop, I do NOT see any strong reasons to not cruise or go visit, the ship is among the safest place to be  - it will be secured and worst case situation, I am sure that the cruiseline will decide last minute to skip the port stop and/or advise passengers to not go ashore, especially not for independent DIY excursion(s).  The shopping malls nearest to the Kai Tak Cruise Terminal, including the MTR station/mall at Kowloon Bay & along that subway line has been hit by random protests, demonstrations & property destructions at the stations ... it is no longer confined to Central, Wan Chai or the infamous Prince Edward Station on Nathan Road - popular tourist sites familiar to just about any HK visitors.  

The risks are a bit higher, by no means deadly or dangerous but it will be unplesant & not a place that I think anyone wanted to be caught or trapped by - with these large gatherings - best to avoid, turn & walk away.  Police response & their presence has been stepped up and water cannon has been used, along with tear gas & pepper spray to disperse gathering crowds after repeated warnings to leave.  There's been talks of the PLA (mainland China's army being deployed or called in ... ) but authorities in Beijing still believe that the HK police force is capable and has the necessary means & resources to deal with these protests and demonstrations ... let's just wait & see.  

Pro-government/mainland locals or residents that are sometimes referred to as the silent majority, perhaps fearful of the "mob" like behaviors of the "black shirts" has been coming out with their counter-demonstrations in support of local authorities, calling for law & order ... resulting in clashes & fights among different camps, and police being accused of ...  It is a mess just trying to decode who is doing what, how & whether excessive force, lethal force or not were appropriate and unwarranted.  MTR authorities reported that the recent waves of vandalism and damages to nearly half of their stations & equipments, etc. are estimated to the upwards of $2 to 3 million USD alone, not counting the fare evasions (jumping the turnstiles - not using the Octopus Card) or the human "toll".)   Haven't seen the latest arrest figures, but police has given the cumulative count of those arrested to be somewhere over 1,200 over the last 3 months and close to/more than 1/3 of those charged with offenses are minors/teenagers age 15 and under.  

It's early Sunday (pre-dawn) morning already in HK now, police has denied and refused permission for one of the group of HK protest organizers to hold another major gathering on HK Island later today - the key question, we will learn & find out ater is what will happen ... it will likely be a repeat of what happened this Saturday already, police in riot gears moving in and making some arrests for those refused orders to leave or disperse, or as an indirect result of fights between opposing fractions. 

Nobody is sure of whether the HK government will invoke its special provisions to impose "emergency laws" similar to curfew ... some associating that with declaring martial laws (used previously by the colonia British government administration when it was running HK then, before 1997).  

Well, that's all for now on our end of watching the latest development. 

Thank you for this post. My wife & I are booked on Cathay Pacific business class at the end of January. I hadn't heard of any cancellations from Cathay, but I checked upon reading your post. Sure enough they had cancelled the flight we were scheduled for and moved us to a less desirable flight on the same day. I contacted them to have our flights moved to a more preferable time and was able to request and be given the new discounted rate. We ended up saving $4,300CAD. Thanks again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salice Salentino said:

... My wife & I are booked on Cathay Pacific business class at the end of January. I hadn't heard of any cancellations from Cathay, but ... able to request and be given the new discounted rate. We ended up saving $4,300CAD. Thanks again!

Wow - that's a huge, substantial savings on CX - enough to cover those deeply discounted 5 stars hotel in HK/KL for an entire week.  The winter months are the best time of the year to visit, see & travel to/from Hong Kong ... and cruising, plus the Lunar Chinese New Year falls on Sat. Jan 25 in 2020.  

Stay on top on possible & additional changes as you get closer, just in case - another poster shared that theirs did not, good.  CX, United & Delta and even LH has been adjusting their capacity, downgrading their equipment, like from a B773 to B772 on these long-haul TP polar routes ... which would explain the limited availability of J (B) class upgrades for flyers with status.  I dislike the JFK-YVR-HKG routing with the stopover but it is very convenient for folks out of YVR - for routing via NY, it's either catching a non-stop or going thru SFO (or LAX) ... more time in the air.   We have a trip planned to Ho Chi Ming City next Spring and skipping HKG for our layover, going via Beijing, Seoul or Taipei instead as our gateway.  

#6a432d753f22https://www.forbes.com/sites/grantmartin/2019/09/15/airlines-slash-service-and-prices-to-hong-kong-amidst-protests/#6a432d753f22

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, binky01 said:

Got a great rate at Stanford Hillview. Will be there next week

Let us know how your experience was when you return, first of all hopefully that you really enjoyed Hong Kong, it's wonderful, and that your visit was more or less unaffected...of if it was, how so. Hopefully, all will be well and you'll have an exciting trip!! 🙂

HKIA (Airport) was relatively incident-free last weekend but, protests & gatherings turned non-violent again near Central/Admiralty and spread to Causeway Bay on the island side, with additional incidents elsewhere - these are troubling & ongoing.   More than half of the MTR station's facilities had been vandalized, damaged & services suspended - trains bypassing the stations whenever major incidents are reported, and gates pulled down - spare parts are running low or out, hampering efforts to fully restore the system.  None of these - IMHO - are good news by any means.  

On one of the popular social media website "lihkg dot com" used by demonstrators to stage these protest turned riot gatherings - another call for "gatherings" again this weekend - mainly on Sunday starting around noon - to test (jam / paralyze) the airport, targeting Tsing Yi Island as the bridges and highways are the vital/key links to/from the airport - affecting cars, buses & truck traffic.  Suffice to say, in my opinion only (again) very disturbing ...  Here (click) is the link - you can translate using Google's browser online (the graphics itself should be telling).  

It does not appeared that upcoming cruises this month & early next month should be directly impacted (based on HK's upcoming cruise ship schedule as posted for Kai Tak, as most liners are no longer using Ocean Terminal in TST.)  Trying to stay as neutral & unbiased on advice: just be careful, stay alert & vigilant when going about your tourist & visitor's routines.  If it is the weekend, possibly starting as early as Friday afternoon into late Sunday evening and you are there, planning to be out - be extra mindful of your surroundings, ask your hotel's front desk staff for the latest & advice.  

• Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

One of the many news items from the HK-based SCMP today (Saturday's online edition): for a taste/sample of what has been going on lately -

IMHO, of course - demonstrations no longer peaceful & non-violent, protests that would be classified as riots ... some would consider some of the facts as being terrorism (borderline ??) 

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3032654/hong-kong-protests-petrol-bombs-thrown-mtr-station

In any event - looking ahead at the Kai Tak cruise terminal schedule for the coming weeks only / near term only - only a handful of ships are making a port (overnight) stop in H.K.  I am strongly advising, urging fellow CC'er planning to go ashore to download & pre-install the MTR Mobile App - see this link below - for the latest public transit status, station closure & alternative transport options - in view of recent "incidents" & no longer confined to the airport or Central/TST or Prince Edward Station in Mong Kok.

Another Sunday of public gatherings that turned confrontational, non-peaceful and violent, what else can I say or don't know what to think of the near future.

Many MTR subway stations vandalized before, repaired & reopened and again, damaged & firebombed today, again - now shutdown or closed temporary.  It's in various news media - go view to decide for yourself.  If you travel around, use this live MTR App while visiting:

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/mtr_mobile.html

Safe travel, happy planning & enjoy the cruise, wherever you go.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, mking8288 said:

One of the many news items from the HK-based SCMP today (Saturday's online edition): for a taste/sample of what has been going on lately -

IMHO, of course - demonstrations no longer peaceful & non-violent, protests that would be classified as riots ... some would consider some of the facts as being terrorism (borderline ??) 

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/politics/article/3032654/hong-kong-protests-petrol-bombs-thrown-mtr-station

In any event - looking ahead at the Kai Tak cruise terminal schedule for the coming weeks only / near term only - only a handful of ships are making a port (overnight) stop in H.K.  I am strongly advising, urging fellow CC'er planning to go ashore to download & pre-install the MTR Mobile App - see this link below - for the latest public transit status, station closure & alternative transport options - in view of recent "incidents" & no longer confined to the airport or Central/TST or Prince Edward Station in Mong Kok.

Another Sunday of public gatherings that turned confrontational, non-peaceful and violent, what else can I say or don't know what to think of the near future.

Many MTR subway stations vandalized before, repaired & reopened and again, damaged & firebombed today, again - now shutdown or closed temporary.  It's in various news media - go view to decide for yourself.  If you travel around, use this live MTR App while visiting:

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/mtr_mobile.html

Safe travel, happy planning & enjoy the cruise, wherever you go.  

Hello

We have never been to HK before, we disembark our cruise, in HK early January, then we have 2 days before we fly out, just wondering, if anyone could advise,

1. If we should stay near the airport, or

2. Change our departing flights to the same day as disembark, or

3. Stay in HK on the harbour as originally planned and hope for the best.

Thank you 

35 minutes ago, 2aussiegolfers said:

Hello

We have never been to HK before, we disembark our cruise, in HK early January, then we have 2 days before we fly out, just wondering, if anyone could advise,

3. Stay in HK on the harbour as originally planned and hope for the best.

Thank you 

If you are supposed to be in HK on a weekend then it might be best to go directly home. Currently, I’ve heard the weekends there are dreadful and nothing is open. However, apparently, it’s business as usual during the week. 
Our ship docks there over a weekend in March. Plan is to take a ship excursion to Lantau Island on Saturday and fly out on Sunday.Hope the situation is resolved before then. I have great sympathy for the protestors in HK.

On 10/13/2019 at 10:45 PM, 2aussiegolfers said:

... never been to HK before, we disembark our cruise, in HK early January, then we have 2 days before we fly out, just wondering ...

3. Stay in HK on the harbour as originally planned ... 

Hello, mate from down under.  At this moment, I have more "confidence" predicting how to pack and/or weather next January than the unpredictable rioting in HK, often distorted & twisted in news and social media, depending on who you believe ... DW and I go to raw, unedited social media to watch & decide for yourselves, without necessary listening to the news commentary.  i.e. This past weekend, 20+ homemade Molotov cocktail (petro bombs) were launched at one of the local HK police stations by (peaceful ??) multiple demonstrators (rioters ??) in a matter of seconds. 

There is another call-out for this Sunday, this time - the destination from TST's waterfront (popular tourist landmark ... near the Star Ferry) is the West Rail Station ... with the HK Airport Express's Kowloon Station nearby (which has been frequently closed temporary due to "public gathering events" (codeword = demonstrations / riots) 

Back on topic directly (with these background) - 

1.  Part of the problem for any travelers, is getting to the airport (HKIA) by any means, authorities has been advising those with departing flights to get to the airport at least 3 hours prior, just in case.  HKIA has an indefinite court injunction and is generally well-guarded, especially when certain "protest" plans are known to LE & police ... access strictly enforced.  

2.  HKIA is on the Lantau Island - getting there, by any means, can be a last minute challenge.  We used to count on taking the A21 that run along Nathan Road to/from the airport ... not anymore, although no plans to visit anytime soon with the current unrest.   A direct cruiseline airport transfer, generally more expensive & comparable to a taxi ride, is probably a "safer" way to get there upon disembarkation for same day/afternoon/evening travel ... hangout air-side, the airport faciliies are excellent - plenty of eateris, restaurants, shops & places to sit/relax, lounge access & free WiFi (not ideal but.)  

3.  There are 2 hotels near HKIA, one is walkable & the other is a 10 minutes shuttle ride away.  But, if you are staying overnight there - getting into town & back, isn't going to be fun or easy, unless you are flexible with sightseeing & ready to head back ASAP should events "unfold" quickly.  

4.  Staying on the HK island side isn't necessary going to be any better - the "gatherings" can pop up anywhere & the crowds are known to disperse and branch out to multiple shopping malls, MTR stations and setup random road blocks, stopping traffic and tossing "objects" randomly.  If there is trouble ahead, turn & leaving, don't stop to "sightsee" or watch, and keep your smartphone/camers/vidoes out of sight, please !

Of course, HK might be safer by then - it's anybody's guess at this point.  

Check with Aussie's official government travel advisory for the latest & ask the cruiseline about their contingency plan(s) if any. 

Here's a news video that I like to share (of course, you might find similar and/or opposing ones on BBC News or CNN Int'l, in addition to local SCMP or CCTV Int'l from China, etc. - you decide whom to believe & endorse) - "Violent protests continue in HK" by 7News Australia (Robert Ovadia) - posted / shared on YT - search for this on their news, written from a "foreign" journalist's points of view covering the events on the ground. 

http://7NEWS.com.au - also on FB & Twitter

In general, "foreigners" seen as visitors/travelers are not at risks or prone to be attacked, as these groups/fractions are looking for global support for their "beliefs" - "laowai" are considered to be sympathetic and not to be offended.  

Waves of restaurants, stores & retail closings are happening already and more are expected in the coming months - plan your visits accordingly and please use the MTR links and tourism links to stay updated during the stay of changes, hours & what's subject to closure.  Macau (next door) is open & very safe, it's not a bad idea to consider (short) staying there instead.  Safe travel & happy cruising. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Hello, mate from down under.  At this moment, I have more "confidence" predicting how to pack and/or weather next January than the unpredictable rioting in HK, often distorted & twisted in news and social media, depending on who you believe ... DW and I go to raw, unedited social media to watch & decide for yourselves, without necessary listening to the news commentary.  i.e. This past weekend, 20+ homemade Molotov cocktail (petro bombs) were launched at one of the local HK police stations by (peaceful ??) multiple demonstrators (rioters ??) in a matter of seconds. 

There is another call-out for this Sunday, this time - the destination from TST's waterfront (popular tourist landmark ... near the Star Ferry) is the West Rail Station ... with the HK Airport Express's Kowloon Station nearby (which has been frequently closed temporary due to "public gathering events" (codeword = demonstrations / riots) 

Back on topic directly (with these background) - 

1.  Part of the problem for any travelers, is getting to the airport (HKIA) by any means, authorities has been advising those with departing flights to get to the airport at least 3 hours prior, just in case.  HKIA has an indefinite court injunction and is generally well-guarded, especially when certain "protest" plans are known to LE & police ... access strictly enforced.  

2.  HKIA is on the Lantau Island - getting there, by any means, can be a last minute challenge.  We used to count on taking the A21 that run along Nathan Road to/from the airport ... not anymore, although no plans to visit anytime soon with the current unrest.   A direct cruiseline airport transfer, generally more expensive & comparable to a taxi ride, is probably a "safer" way to get there upon disembarkation for same day/afternoon/evening travel ... hangout air-side, the airport faciliies are excellent - plenty of eateris, restaurants, shops & places to sit/relax, lounge access & free WiFi (not ideal but.)  

3.  There are 2 hotels near HKIA, one is walkable & the other is a 10 minutes shuttle ride away.  But, if you are staying overnight there - getting into town & back, isn't going to be fun or easy, unless you are flexible with sightseeing & ready to head back ASAP should events "unfold" quickly.  

4.  Staying on the HK island side isn't necessary going to be any better - the "gatherings" can pop up anywhere & the crowds are known to disperse and branch out to multiple shopping malls, MTR stations and setup random road blocks, stopping traffic and tossing "objects" randomly.  If there is trouble ahead, turn & leaving, don't stop to "sightsee" or watch, and keep your smartphone/camers/vidoes out of sight, please !

Of course, HK might be safer by then - it's anybody's guess at this point.  

Check with Aussie's official government travel advisory for the latest & ask the cruiseline about their contingency plan(s) if any. 

Here's a news video that I like to share (of course, you might find similar and/or opposing ones on BBC News or CNN Int'l, in addition to local SCMP or CCTV Int'l from China, etc. - you decide whom to believe & endorse) - "Violent protests continue in HK" by 7News Australia (Robert Ovadia) - posted / shared on YT - search for this on their news, written from a "foreign" journalist's points of view covering the events on the ground. 

http://7NEWS.com.au - also on FB & Twitter

In general, "foreigners" seen as visitors/travelers are not at risks or prone to be attacked, as these groups/fractions are looking for global support for their "beliefs" - "laowai" are considered to be sympathetic and not to be offended.  

Waves of restaurants, stores & retail closings are happening already and more are expected in the coming months - plan your visits accordingly and please use the MTR links and tourism links to stay updated during the stay of changes, hours & what's subject to closure.  Macau (next door) is open & very safe, it's not a bad idea to consider (short) staying there instead.  Safe travel & happy cruising. 

Thank you

a very helpful reply.

On 10/13/2019 at 8:32 PM, Cairn Mom said:

If you are supposed to be in HK on a weekend then it might be best to go directly home. Currently, I’ve heard the weekends there are dreadful and nothing is open. However, apparently, it’s business as usual during the week. 
Our ship docks there over a weekend in March. Plan is to take a ship excursion to Lantau Island on Saturday and fly out on Sunday.Hope the situation is resolved before then. I have great sympathy for the protestors in HK.

Cairn Mom, what ship/cruise are you on? I'm on Regent Seven Seas Voyager that arrives in HK on 2/29 - I'm doing Lantau Island tour that day. I disembark on 3/1 in HK and am scheduled to be there until Tuesday the 3rd, but depending what's going on, may change that.

On 10/17/2019 at 1:12 PM, jamieandsam said:

Cairn Mom, what ship/cruise are you on? I'm on Regent Seven Seas Voyager that arrives in HK on 2/29 - I'm doing Lantau Island tour that day. I disembark on 3/1 in HK and am scheduled to be there until Tuesday the 3rd, but depending what's going on, may change that.

We’ll be on Princess in March. 

• 3 weeks later...

Alert:  Folks that might already be in HK for today's (Saturday) Westerdam sailing / turnaround, etc. - please exercise caution when going about while in town at HK, both island-side & Kowloon, etc. 

Airport Express services shut down early on Friday, multiple key MTR subway stations closed early, due to large scale public "events" - full & normal services this weekend in question.  Please use & check the free MTR Mobile App, previously linked & if staying at a local hotel - tune to local news & ask the front desk before going out or making plans.  Taxi is probably the best way to go, allow extra time to get anywhere this weekend - EXPECT riots/protests & demonstrations, etc. across the city.

Riot police were out, Friday evening & continued patrolling the streets well past midnight, dispersing crowds - Nathan Road's MTR Stations (Mong Kok, Prince Edward & Yau Ma Tei) along with Causeway Bay were targeted.  Saturday & Sunday, expect escalations across the public transport system (which frequently are close to/near MTR Stations)  ... plus, other hotspots are not far from stations (along that MTR line) serving the nearby Kai Tak Cruise Terminal.   MTR services scheduled to end no later than 10 pm, sooner as warranted and Airport Express being maintained between HK Station (island side) & the Airport (Lantau island only), bypassing & skipping Kowloon & Ching Ye.  

The Costa ship is calling @ Kat Tak C.T. overnight at HK later this month and special attention is advised, as it is on the day of local election.