Payment defaulted, have to repay a week before the cruise!

Templ_19

Hello, I’m hoping I can receive some friendly advice on how to handle this situation. On May 31st I paid the for my cruise in its entirety. I received confirmation and booking information regarding my flights, room, and boarding information both via email and the Norwegian agent who has been facilitating my arrangements. I completed my online check in weeks ago, and today I was informed that two weeks ago my payment from May was refunded to my banking account and that I have to repay it . Our cruise sets sail on the 28th if this month. Just 16 days away. I was unaware of the defaulted payment (and apparently so was my agent who I’ve been in contact with weekly since May) and I’m unable to pay $900 again with such short notice, as I get paid monthly. Are there any options for me? Is this my fault or the companies? I’ve gone over documents and  itineraries that reflect the refunded payment and still showed that I was in good standing and that I didn’t owe anything. I’m at a loss. Thanks in advance fr any advice! 

3 minutes ago, Templ_19 said:

Hello, I’m hoping I can receive some friendly advice on how to handle this situation. On May 31st I paid the for my cruise in its entirety. I received confirmation and booking information regarding my flights, room, and boarding information both via email and the Norwegian agent who has been facilitating my arrangements. I completed my online check in weeks ago, and today I was informed that two weeks ago my payment from May was refunded to my banking account and that I have to repay it . Our cruise sets sail on the 28th if this month. Just 16 days away. I was unaware of the defaulted payment (and apparently so was my agent who I’ve been in contact with weekly since May) and I’m unable to pay $900 again with such short notice, as I get paid monthly. Are there any options for me? Is this my fault or the companies? I’ve gone over documents and  itineraries that reflect the refunded payment and still showed that I was in good standing and that I didn’t owe anything. I’m at a loss. Thanks in advance fr any advice! 

Was the money actually returned to your checking account? If so, you didn't notice that the money was returned to your checking account? 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

Was the money actually returned to your checking account? If so, you didn't notice that the money was returned to your checking account? 

It was, and I hadn’t noticed. I had a lot of transactions around the time it was refunded so I guess I over looked it. 🤦🏾‍♀️

I don't think the OP has supplied sufficient information for anyone to be able to help.  Lots of missing info: what country are they in; have they contacted their bank about this; if the money is back in their account, why can't they pay it out again; what do they mean by their "Norwegian agent" -- are they working through a TA or NCL directly; what does the "agent" say about this.  Etc.

This is the OP's first post, btw...

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Templ_19 said:

It was, and I hadn’t noticed. I had a lot of transactions around the time it was refunded so I guess I over looked it. 🤦🏾‍♀️

In that case I can't imagine any solution that doesn't involve paying the $900 before you sail. I hope you can figure out a way to do it. 

• Like 4

It sounds like money went back into OP's account. But they didn't realize it and has since spent the money. 

Unfortunately I don't think there's anyone you can blame this on if you did get the money back. It sounds like they're still allowing you to go on the cruise, at the price you booked at, as long as you pay the money owed. Which I think is probably a good deal because they could have canceled it for non-payment and make you pay current fares.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

How were you informed of this refund? Was it an NCL email/letter? Did it explain anything further? It’s surprising that you didn’t know about a $900 refund into your account and address it that minute. Not casting blame but $900 is a lot of money not to notice. What did NCL customer service say?

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

I don't think the OP has supplied sufficient information for anyone to be able to help.  Lots of missing info: what country are they in; have they contacted their bank about this; if the money is back in their account, why can't they pay it out again; what do they mean by their "Norwegian agent" -- are they working through a TA or NCL directly; what does the "agent" say about this.  Etc.

This is the OP's first post, btw...

Sorry for any lack of information. I’m in the United States. The “Norwegian agent” i was referring to works directly with NCL. I’ve contacted my bank and the money was returned. However, because I wasn’t aware of the refund I tapped into some already. He said it was a glitch in their system and that the reservation is no longer confirmed so at any point before sailing I can forfeit my cabin. I guess the blame does fall back on me since the money was returned. I guess I’m just not understanding why the payment was refunded nearly 3 months later and that it was document on their end. It’s an unfortunate and disappointing situation to have planned this cruise since January, Pay in full, and just days before sailing see that for some reason the payment defaulted. 

5 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

How were you informed of this refund? Was it an NCL email/letter? Did it explain anything further? It’s surprising that you didn’t know about a $900 refund into your account and address it that minute. Not casting blame but $900 is a lot of money not to notice. What did NCL customer service say?

Last night I received an email saying I still owed money and after hearing this I took a closer look at the  itinerary and confirmation and saw that  roughly $900 of the cruise was refunded and reflected in my confirmation and check in information. (might I add that that’s not the whole cost of our vacation, so I’m kind of confused as to why only some of what I paid was refunded). I’m on hold with customer service now 

Use a credit card.

Paying by credit card,depending on the company issuing it,can offer you travel protections ie- lost luggage ,hotel and/ or meals compensation.

A credit card can also help you with charge disputes or fraudlent activity should any occur.

• Like 1

OP, stuff happens. Ignore the posters who say they'd never miss $900 going back into their bank account. They all probably look like Brad Pitt or Beyonce when describing themselves on the internet.😉

If you have a credit card use it to pay for the cruise and pay that off when you get paid next.

BTW. Mrs, Dawg, who is a CPA, just double paid a $10 grand credit card bill. As I said, stuff happens....to everybody.

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

This usually happens when your account is in overdraft but the ledger online doesn't reflect an accurate balance.

Banks love this little delay in details because A) they don't give a crap whether you get to cruise or not and B) they make a fortune in overdraft fees.  So anything they can do to speed up debits and slow down deposits makes them rich.

But, it's up to us to keep our own ledger to stay a step ahead.  Programs like Quicken are useful if you update them religiously.  They can give you a true balance to the penny so before you write that check or approve that debit you'll know exactly what will happen when it gets there.

Having two or three $20 debits show up at once and only having the money to cover two of them is one thing.  But a purchase like this takes great carefulness.

If you're $900 short, I suggest borrowing it from someone, or take a huge hit in your refund.

58 minutes ago, Templ_19 said:

Sorry for any lack of information. I’m in the United States. The “Norwegian agent” i was referring to works directly with NCL. I’ve contacted my bank and the money was returned. However, because I wasn’t aware of the refund I tapped into some already. He said it was a glitch in their system and that the reservation is no longer confirmed so at any point before sailing I can forfeit my cabin. I guess the blame does fall back on me since the money was returned. I guess I’m just not understanding why the payment was refunded nearly 3 months later and that it was document on their end. It’s an unfortunate and disappointing situation to have planned this cruise since January, Pay in full, and just days before sailing see that for some reason the payment defaulted. 

Put the cruise payment on a credit card.  

What help are you looking to obtain here on CC?  Some 'glitch or error' happened. The cash was returned to your bank account.  Understandably, you spent some of that $900 cash, so it isn't fully available to apply to the cruise. 

Do you want to cancel the cruise?  Was $900 the full amount of the cruise ... so you would not lose a deposit amount?  

Are you looking to go on this cruise without paying the remainder of the money because you found out NCL made an error?  

• Like 1

You accidentally spent $900 you didn't even know you had? How on top of your finances are you?  I hope you get it worked out, but I have no confidence.  It's a good thing that money was there without your knowledge,  or you would be $900 overdrawn.

Edited by LrgPizza
  • Like 4

This is your fault-  for it being missed,  and you owe the money. Pay it.   You are  lucky your cruise wasn’t canceled and it’s still available for you to pay and go.   

It’s another big issue if you are so short on money???       But it is owed and it you still want to go- it has to be paid.   

I watch my credit cards carefully and two months ago I saw NCL refunded $45 to my card.  No explanation, my trip showed paid in full, so I figured they had corrected an overcharge for something.  Then last week they mysteriously billed the $45 back to the card again and account still shows paid in full.  No explanation, and I'm paying exactly what I originally expected, so not a big deal.  But this looks like just what happened to OP on a smaller scale.

Do you have a friend who can loan you the money?

I had this happen because I had to rebook my dog sledding tour in Alaska and hadn't received the refund from the company that had to cancel.

It was embarrassing but it was my own fault for not having any extra money for emergencies.

I guess the lesson is to check online every once in a while to make sure everything is still correct. Especially when you book so far out in advance.

I think you've gotten all the suggestions you could get. The easiest being is put the charge on your credit card and pay it next month when you get paid. Im no financial expert but maybe re-evaluate the vacation if $900 will put you underwater. 

• Like 4

I like the idea of opening an NCL credit card to get the OBC and the cruise!  Sounds like a silver lining in what could have been a very disappointing cruise cancellation.  At this point, I think it's a lucky thing you have not been cancelled and forced to re-book at a new rate.  Pay it quickly before it's too late.  Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not a good idea to tell a stranger to open a credit card to get a few bucks in OBC.   You don't know what their credit situation is, what their FICO score is or their financial situation.   Opening credit cards can have negative results.   Just sayin'.

Considering the OP doesn't have enough to even cover the cost of a cruise they probably aren't in the best financial shape.  No additional debt is needed.

Just my .02c worth from someone who used to have UGLY debt issues.   🙂

• Like 3